Tangerine Dream play the Devil's Music

by HappyGuy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I guess one of the things that I hold most against the senile octagenarians who run the WTBTS and tell us things like "rock music is from Satan" is how much music I either missed out on or felt guilty about listening to. I LOVE music. Everyone who knows me can tell when I am not listening to enough music.

I will never forget the first time I heard Tangerine Dream. It was like being in a dream world. It was astonishingly beautiful.

Then a "mature brother" heard the music one day at my house. "WHAT is THAT?" So, I get the Tangering Dream album cover, Phaedra, and show it to the "mature brother".

I was accused of being demon possessed. The "brother" took my album outside, made a great theatrical spectacle of praying that the album could be destroyed, and burned it.

I was then "counseled" by the elders not to listen to "the Devil's Music".

I remembered this because I just signed up to Pandora Radio and made a station called Patrick O'Hearn and one of the tracks that I just LOVED but couldn't place the artist was by Tangerine Dream.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Which tracks do you like, the best? If you likw psychedelic, you would like pink floyd's earlier stuff, like 'echoes'.

S

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I like everything on Phaedra and Rubycon. I also like Dream Mixes.

The one that came on on Pandora Radio is called Lady Monk from a CD titled Booster, I had never heard it before.

I have Echos, one of my favorites.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I love Tangerine Dream. I'm a real Prog Rock fan. My collection was often scrutinised by my friends and family but I just ignored them.

• I quit!
    I quit!

There's no reasoning with insanity. This elder obviously was mad.

I'm also a fan of Tangerine Dream.

• llbh
    llbh

What rubbish eh!!

The wts like many high control groups, eschews any culture, the reason, cos it's from the devil. The real reason is that culture apart from entertaining, challenges and develops society. Mao and the Taliban have and had a similar modus operandi.

BTW i have Phaedra too

David

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Big fan of Tangerine Dream too - I recall the same stupidity while I was studying over Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. I could not believe the hogwash they are fed: Mike Oldfield did not write Tubular Bells with the Exorcist in mind - William Friedkin bought the rights to the music for his movie. So while the composition is featured in the Exorcist, one cannot say it is demonic. Add to this Hotel California - nothing about devil worship; or how about my best one - "lay Lady Lay" by Bob Dylan. Some bonehead told me it was a song about fornication and should not be part of my collection - the song is actually about Dylan's pet as a child and what a pet meant to him - Lady was a dog. Oh the fun over the years with trying to explain songs. Also, John Lennons Imagine. Then there was the backward masking era - Stairway to Heaven - LOL there. I showed how you could play most Kingdom songs in reverse and get anything you want out of it - actually, they sounded better and the sibliminal messages do need backwards masking. I never got rid of anything because I was never bothered by it.

Simon Morley

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Simon reminded me of how disgusting the "kingdom" music is.

I am not a musician but I sing so I spend a lot of time listening to good music.

I would not call the societies noise "music" at all. It is total trash.

I offered a few times to sing some of the Kingdom "songs" at assemblies, but I was always turned down with some stupid excuse.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Love Tangerine Dream.

Back in 1980 I was living with my untie & uncle in Auckland him an elder, all this crap about music blew up in the cong, I had a lot of albums & most of it 'questionable' in the eyes of jws, I was asked about my music & bcoz I was not advancing spiritually it must be bcoz of the music, I had to sort through & burn any that I thought wrong, so I selected some that really was crap music & didn't really want & burnt them instead, everyone was happy, still didn't advance spiritually tho.

I got to keep my

rolling stones, uriah heep, lynyrd skynyrd, meat loaf, elton john, tangerine dream, pink floyd, and a host of other stuff

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

finallysomepride,

Do you like Humble Pie? I didn't like them all that well but their Live album is AMAZING. THeir version of "Walk on guilded splinters" the Dr. John voodoo ritual is .... well, you just have to listen to it. Then there is their version of "I don't need no doctor".

I wonder how many JW teenagers and young adults succumbed to the pressure and threw out their "questionable" music?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit