Atheists, Agnostics, Doubters: What made you disregard the Bible?

by DubR 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    No wonder you're seeing demons; you're anti-Christ. You opened the door right up. As long as you believe this drivel you have no hope. That's the way it is. You will only have bad ahead of you in your life. It will only get worse, maybe not right away, but unless you snap out of this idiocy you are stepping into a mine field. Don't delude yourself, and don't fall for the nonsense other atheists spew on this site. The devil came along and snatched away the Word.

Jonathon Dough

Do you seriously believe that atheists only have bad lives?

---------------------------------------------

ME: Since you can't figure this out on our own I'll take you by the hand and explain what I said and didn't say. I never said "atheists only have bad lives." That's your mis-characterization. My statement that "You will only have bad ahead of you in your life. It will only get worse, maybe not right away, but unless you snap out of this idiocy you are stepping into a mine field" refers to the future. I am not saying that you have a bad life now; many atheists and God-haters have great lives, now. There is a difference between the present and the future. And this future is not limited to this life you lead, but includes the next one when you will be dragged in front of the Judgment Seat to account for yourself, whether you like it or not. So you may get it in this life, or at the Judgment seat, or both.

And that's what I meant when I said to read what I posted closer, which you failed to do. Clear enough?

http://www.144000.110mb.com/

• ziddina
    ziddina

Woo Hooo!! "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"!! Now, THERE'S a book I could be persuaded to believe is 'holy'... ("Earth, II")

Zid

jk

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    There is a difference between the present and the future. And this future is not limited to this life you lead, but includes the next one when you will be dragged in front of the Judgment Seat to account for yourself, whether you like it or not. So you may get it in this life, or at the Judgment seat, or both.

The thing is this Jonathan Dough: the ideas you have about life, death and the afterlife ARE fashioned by desert dwellers and illiterate believers in multiple gods; what they remembered was kept and written down by redactors in 400 to 700 BCE, shaped and edited to reflect their view that all of what happened to the israelites was from God, good and bad. It has been repeated for so many generations that it has taken on the gloss and sheen of unchallenged TRUTH; nothing should have that position, not science even and certainly not religious thought.

When Jesus died unexpectedly, his followers searched the old texts and found some to match up with increasingly invented events in Jesus life; again, to try to make sense of the random and harsh realities of life. By the time of the Gospels Jesus had been born of a virgin, performed miracles and the view was that his death was intentional on his part and God's; again, a revision of history to try to eliminate the random and harsh nature of life.

The bible was not meant to be literal, and should not be taken literally. Seriously, yes, but not literally. When it is taken as a literal history, it is demeaned; it is easily debunked as history.

As a theological take on the history of a people's struggle to understand it's place and what ethics and laws should be revered, it has great merit and is worth discussing and debating, and it does reflect the rise in a set of ethics and morality that was probably unique for it's time.

But to take it literally, JD, you have to accept that God REALLY cares if you have a foreskin, that God punished David by killing his son, and that thousands of israelites died because their king counted heads.

THAT kind of a God is an invention.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Jonathan Dough,

So you were only referring to a hypothetical bad 'life' after death given that your interpretation of the supposed holy book of a hypothetical god is correct, phew I thought I might really be in trouble there!

Meanwhile I will get on with my great life.

• DubR
    DubR

Thank you all for your posts. So I can officially kill this thread I would like to sum up the biggest reasons Atheists, Agnostics; Doubters dsregard the Bible by quoting Jookbeard's post:

my list is as follows

the angry sadistic/evil god of the O/T Yahweh

the overwhelming scientific proof of pre Adamic existence

the allowance of Lot to be sexually seduced by his own daughters

the fiction of a global flood

very little secular non Biblical evidence of proof of J/C,

that if the Creator who knows every star/grain of sand/every person on the planet, needs this old antiquated book to communicate his plan to mankind? I cant accept that, and why cant he say "hi" a bit more often?

I also would like to add: T-Rex and many other dinosaurs who lived millions of years before Man (Adam) were carnivores. They didn't use those big teeth they had (that you can see in dino museums) for eating plants. BUT WAIT!!!! The book of Genesis tells us that all animals only ate plants before Adam sinned. BUT WAIT!!! Archeology tells us that animals before man were carnivores!!! This is just one small reason many choose to not believe a silly book with dumb and untrue verses in it!!If everyone on this site who are still Christians after leaving JW organization or are still active JWs really research these statements above (with the same open mind and convicton when researching the JW religion) they may be shocked by a book they have devoted their whole lives too. I just feel like everyone needs to be able to hear the truth about anything even if the truth hurts them.

DubR

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    So you were only referring to a hypothetical bad 'life' after death given that your interpretation of the supposed holy book of a hypothetical god is correct, phew I thought I might really be in trouble there!
    Meanwhile I will get on with my great life.

Can't rule out that something bad might happen to you in this life as well. You never know.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Can't rule out that something bad might happen to you in this life as well. You never know.

Yes, that is true, bad things happens to atheists (and christians, muslims, pagans and pastafarians). Wise words there mate.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I was raised with the understanding that the Bible was God's word and incapable of faltering or corruption. When as an early teenager, I could see contradictions it weakened my faith.

When I could, I researched it and many other "holy" books. Each was prone to mistakes, translations and myth. How could such a book represent an all powerful diety. My thought was, if it is the word of God, it should hold up to scrutiny. It didn't even hold up to the basic challenges for me.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Jerry and I first met each other, by arrangement, under towering Sue, the T-rex skeleton housed in the main hall of the Field Museum in Chicago.

It is ironic, that a few years later, our somewhat divergent methods of arrival have put us at a virtual identical place in the road of our journeys. Sue could not have existed at all given a literal interpretation of the Bible. Anything other than literal interpretation makes it 'anybodys ball game' doesn't it. So, once the cult fell, and then religion in general fell, the Bible took it's place in line and fell also for me.

That does not mean I 'disregard the Bible'. I just do not consider it 'inspired of God', or particularly accurate in it's statements, being as most of them were written hundreds of years after the fact.

I mean, Gee, the book starts with a sneaky snake getting a naked woman to eat an apple, an act that lead to disaster for all of mankind. That seems odd doesn't it? It ends with a great dragon fighting a child in the clouds who ends up undoing the horrible act of a naked woman eating an apple thousands of years earlier. That seems ever odder, given that an omnipotent and omniscient God could have just killed the naked lady, or reversed time a few days. That way billions and billions of men and women would not have had to suffer, die, and wait for God to 'fix it' with his son.

Nope - nothing there that should raise any skepticism.

Jeff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It seems that the issue is when people realize that the stuff they were TOLD is "infalliable" is shown to be "dubious" at best, it rocks them enough to do a 180.

I guess that is why it never effected me that much, I never viewed the bible to be "infalliable".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit