Atheists, Agnostics, Doubters: What made you disregard the Bible?

by DubR 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When things promised in the Bible, or implied in the Bible, clash with reality, I do not have any respect for the Bible as a source of authority. Reading the book of Job, seeing the happy resolution in that case, and seeing a bad outcome in my own case makes me realize that every single "blessing" and prayer answering in the Bible was put there as a stock answer. Instead of expecting fulfillment now, you are supposed to look at where someone else in the Bible has undergone what you want. And, when it does not happen for you, you still have to be thankful because Jehovah has demonstrated that He can (but will NOT) do it for you.

Once that happens, and especially if it happens to me more than once, I totally disregard the Bible as more than further proof that the Washtowel does not abide by it as they claim to. This adds one more layer for the Washtowel to be a bad religion: They do not adhere to what they claim to, and the source they do claim to adhere to is faulty.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Every thing mentioned above or as some would say ditto

• chickpea
    chickpea

i am just hopping on
    the bandwagon with
    a simple reply to the
    question: science

• designs
    designs

If a person takes a uber literal reading of the Bible many problems present themselves. The allegorical aspects of the Bible, OT, and the philosophical aspects began to be written about by the Jewish Sages rather early in their culture. Take the good lessons on human behavior and how to treat one another and you have accomplished alot.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I don't disregard the bible as a work of literature that contains some valuable wisdom and lessons. I do reject the superstitious value most Christians attach to it, and I came to that conclusion by simply reading it and asking myself some reasonable questions:

Why is it that god last officially "spoke" or made anything known over 2000 years ago? Why can't he be more relevant?

Why does the god of the OT, YHWH, act like a 3 year old, while the god of the NT, Jesus, acts so enlightened?

What about the many contradictions? (efforts to somehow explain them by Christians notwithstanding) Why can't we simply take it as the bible itself shows it to be, a book written by different men, and pieced together by men in the 3rd and 4th centuries with political agendas of their own?

The value I assign the bible these days is purely cultural. I grew up in a "Christian" land and was taught about the bible. Having attended different churches since I left JW's, I am satisfied that I don't need anyone to teach me what I can plainly read. The history and scholarship are very interesting, and a good read. It demystifies the bible, of which it is in serious need of.

I respect anyone's right to view it as divine and inspired. However, for me, both the bible and the god of the bible lack evidence for me to go along with it now that I am an adult who has weighed all sides of the issue.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    No wonder you're seeing demons; you're anti-Christ. You opened the door right up. As long as you believe this drivel you have no hope. That's the way it is. You will only have bad ahead of you in your life. It will only get worse, maybe not right away, but unless you snap out of this idiocy you are stepping into a mine field. Don't delude yourself, and don't fall for the nonsense other atheists spew on this site. The devil came along and snatched away the Word.

Jonathon Dough

Do you seriously believe that atheists only have bad lives?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The OT may explain some things about the messiah, but that does not justify the horrid things committed either by God himself or through "his people". If there really is a creator, the Bible does a great disservice by presenting him as a childish brat.
    Donny

I meant that, because the OT did commite a great disservice by presenting God the way they did, as you said, that is why God sent Jesus to "clear things up", which worked for all of about 1 month after he died !

LOL !

• dissed
    dissed

Reading the book of Genisis with an open mind. Not just the creation and flood myths, but the legendary passed down stories of Abraham, Issaac and others.

If you haven't looked at this before, give it a try. Funny for sure, but makes you think.

If Farkel, Billy the Ex, and others here translated a Bible, this is how I envision their copy would be like.

www.thebricktestament.com

• TD
    TD
    God sent Jesus to "clear things up", which worked for all of about 1 month after he died !

"And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small cafe in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place." (Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    "And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small cafe in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place." (Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

Never read that before.

Nice.

Wasn't that a movie too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit