Atheists, Agnostics, Doubters: What made you disregard the Bible?

by DubR 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Donny,

The OT explains why God sent Jesus.

Of course after Jesus left, everyone went back to the same MO !

God:Hmmm, these people don't get me, they write some silly stuff about me, do crap and say its my will....I will send my son to straighten them out !

Jesus: People, love each other, look to a personal relationship with your Father in heaven, above all is Love and We love you guys, here let me rpove it, I will give myself for you all ! That's how much we love you guys, now love each other and We will live in you !

People: Lets write shit down in a book, make some shit up, go back to some old ways and tell every one its our way or the highway !!

God and Jesus: *Face slap !! * OIVEY !!!

• dudeson
    dudeson

Carpediem: The fact the bible is so bloody confusing is why there are so many squabbling sects/cults/religions. I figured that if the God of the bible existed he would not leave the creation he claimed to love so much, trying to work out what the damn hell he wants from us.

Your post reminded me of this quote from Sam Harris' book The End of Faith: "Imagine a future in which millions of our descendants murder each other over rival interpretations of Star Wars or Windows 98. Could anything - anything - be more ridiculous? And yet, this would be no more ridiculous than the world we are living in."

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

For me the personality of the God of the Bible is the main reason for not being a Christian any more (if I ever was)... plenty of examples of that mentioned above by other writers. Thus, after reading the Bible a few times, I no more have reason to read it any more. I recently read the Apocrypha since they give some insight (and outside look) in what I used to believe in. Reading the Bible can be useful in helping someone to quit the JWs, so if somebody has not carefully read the Bible, I might recommend it for that purpose.

Another thing: There is too much unnecessary BS in the Bible for it to be inspired by anything (anyone) else but limited human experience. Some statements there are just plain wrong and, in addition, then there is lots of stuff like that I mentioned in the do-you-still-read-the-bible thread: "Jair, a Gileadite... had thirty sons that rode on thirty ass colts..." (Judges 10:3-4) and "Abdon... had forty sons and thirty nephews, that rode on threescore and ten ass colts..." (Judges 12:13-14). Nothing more than a fairy tale.

In my opinioin, most pages of the Bible are completely unnecessary and only a few of them have some artistic (which I cannot really appreciate since I do not understand the original language) or major historical value. So take your own Bible and a text-liner pen to mark the passages that are completely useless or apparently wrong. There is not much left after that.

You should ask the same question about the Bible and about the Watchtower publications:

If they have anything to do with Holy Spirit, why are they so terribly wrong and stupid?

• DubR
    DubR

Is there anyone on here that can explain to me how a T-Rex (meat eating dino) lived and was extinct hundreds of thousands of years before the first human (i guess Adam) but God's Word the BIBLE says before Adam sinned all humans and animals were vegetarians. Why dont these people just admit that they bible is fallible!! The bible can't be God's word if its fallible!! It should be pretty simple to do after you find out how corrupt religion (as a whole) is and its created from the Bible. Some stuff in the bible makes sense but alot of other thinks in the bible have proven to be LIES FALSE according to reality. I will go even further and say alot of things in the bible make God EVIL. No one can tell me that God asking his faithful servent to go kill his son and at the last minute God tells him...never mind just testin ya!!! That God is a Evil deity that gets off on suffering!. Dont let blind faith, the same blind faith that got you caught up in a cult keep you caught up in a man made bible that is no different than Dr. Suess Kat in the Hat crap! Thats all im saying

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Hah, Hah! What Daniel-P said!! Yeah, DubR, I saw Jonathan Dough's comments on the "Atheists ever attacked by Demonz" thread; that guy sounds like a JW or Born-Again, and not in a good way, either...

Well, since you brought it up I'll just repost it for the benefit of the others.

It is the belief that all the supernatural creatures in the Bible (God, angels, demons,ect) don't exist.

No wonder you're seeing demons; you're anti-Christ. You opened the door right up. As long as you believe this drivel you have no hope. That's the way it is. You will only have bad ahead of you in your life. It will only get worse, maybe not right away, but unless you snap out of this idiocy you are stepping into a mine field. Don't delude yourself, and don't fall for the nonsense other atheists spew on this site. The devil came along and snatched away the Word.

http://144000.110mb.com/index.html

• metatron
    metatron

Even as a young Witness, I puzzled over one basic question: why do we have a Bible at all? If there is a personal Creator, why doesn't he communicate with us personally?

I have never found any intelligent answer to this. Some answers are stupid, as God is so great that speaking to us directly would be terrifying, as on Mt. Sinai, as if God has no volume control or ability to 'tone it down'.

The ambiguity of the Bible means that all sorts of interpretations are possible. God would bear responsibility for all this conflict and confusion. If you were God, would you communicate in long dead languages, written by long dead prophets unknown to us, amidst endlessly copied manuscripts and translations? The idea is absurd.

That said, I think much of the Bible was inspired by a higher intelligence, but not a personal Creator.

metatron

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The Internet caused me to first start doubting the WT, as I typed in Jehovah's witnesses in the different search engines that were first coming out. This eventually caused me to leave the JWs with my faith in the bible still in tact.

As I used the Internet to research the Bible(while going to different churches) and reading post on JWD(now JWN) I came to realize the bible was a book of myths it was liberating and a bit hard to deal with but the more I found out the the better it was for me.

That was 5 or 6 years ago.

I even would like to include a link to one of my earlier thread I started soon after I finally came to that conclusion and lost all fear of the biblical deity:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/humour/68234/2/Jehovah-Will-Get-His-Ass-Kicked-Really-Good-By-Thor-God-of-Thunder

I mean they are both imaginary, so do you think this jehovah god, who is so jealous, so pouty, so insecure,, that he needs our worship to be made whole,, what did he do for the first part of eternity before he created anything, when he was without subjects to boss around. Sure seems like he's pretty wimpy!!! and needs to keep reassuring his ego,, pressuring people to worship him promising to listen to their prayers for victory over their enemies and lots of good food, and to some paradise earth everlastingly you name it he can give it to you if you worship him.

Seems like he is so lonely that he needs all of your attention,,, I mean what a loser,,,LOL, he got to threaten people to worship him, come on I can only be so,,,, gullible! that's lame,,I admit I was pretty gullible for many years, I think this not a real god.

I have even read in his "OWN WORD" that he likes to pick on persons way smaller than himself ((((((Bully!!!)))))). Runs around the heavens stomping his feet all macho and war like, like he's stomping grapes but, really its symbolic for people what a sicko!!! Hitler was a saint in comparison, kicking any body's bum smaller than his, just because they don't please him,,, scaring the living day light out of poor frightened people saying:

"I'm Jehovah of Armies!!!!"

"I'm Jehovah of Armies!!!!"

(If that's not a bully what is?)Like he so important and everybody has to worship him or else they are toast.,,,, I don't know about you,,, but sometimes I feel good when a bully gets a taste of his own medicine. Now I don't like to see anyone suffer,, but,,, I know that is the only way he will learn is that he gets a good taste of how it feels to be bullied(LOL).

• donny
    donny

PSacramento

The OT may explain some things about the messiah, but that does not justify the horrid things committed either by God himself or through "his people". If there really is a creator, the Bible does a great disservice by presenting him as a childish brat.

Donny

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Without the OT, the concept of a Christian Messiah seems like a solution for a non-existent problem.

Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Friedman

Is It God's Word? by J. Wheless

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

When I saw the horrors it promoted (slavery, a Vengeful God) and it's ridiculous prohibitions like mixing cloth and dietary restrictions.

Then I realized that you have to start with the belief that it's God's Word, rather than being able to prove anything by it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit