Atheists, Agnostics, Doubters: What made you disregard the Bible?

by DubR 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

I think the topic is just the Bible itself not what the WTS says. Take the WTS out of the equation. Am I right DubR?

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

As a born in JWS it was impressed upon yourself to believe that it was literal and not to question it at all.

" The bible is the word of god, therefore you should not question it at all.....was the motto "

Of course this always comes out the mouths from people who are trying to align themselves with god

for their own purposes of self empowerment.

Thats a power by the way that many men have lusted for and some have actually succeeded in obtaining.

• TD
    TD

I don't disregard it. The Bible is one of the best preserved and most fascinating pieces of ancient literature in existence.

What I do disregard are the claims and presuppositions that most Christian groups make about the Bible.

• ziddina
    ziddina

PSacramento, look up volcanics in Jordan/Isra-EL online; the "Golan Heights" area is a volcanic plateau, and one with very young volcanoes - Holocene, or 'modern', approx 10,000 years old OR YOUNGER... You might be able to see them on GoogleEarth, too, but "VolcanoWorld" USED to display more information on the area's volcanoes...

"Volcano World" website USED to have a great feature - you could point to any area of the world, and it would zoom in and display the volcanoes in that area. Then their website crashed, and when they rebuilt it they catagorized the areas, totally excluding the nation of Isra-EL. But before it crashed, I was in there looking at all the young volcanoes in the area... The tribal groups that eventually became the Isra-EL-ites would have had opportunity to see volcanic eruptions, that's for sure...

Zid

jk

• darthfader
    darthfader

Im with TD on this as well.. Its a facinating historical document containing the views and opinions of primitive cultures. There are some good morality and ethics lessions there as well. As for a factual document about mankind's creation.... I dont think so

Anything that comes from organized religion is barf... IMHO

Darth Fader

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I don't disregard it. The Bible is one of the best preserved and most fascinating pieces of ancient literature in existence.
    What I do disregard are the claims and presuppositions that most Christian groups make about the Bible.

A very valid view point, to disregard something that has infulenced BIllions of people for 1000's of years is not the way to go.

Better to understand it, even if you don't agree with it.

• carpediem
    carpediem

The fact the bible is so bloody confusing is why there are so many squabbling sects/cults/religions. I figured that if the God of the bible existed he would not leave the creation he claimed to love so much, trying to work out what the damn hell he wants from us.

• DubR
    DubR

Hey guys, your reasons are all very interesting!! Thanks for the posts.

Ziddina, I was LMAO at that religious nut Jonathan Dough's posts. I could just feel his hatred for me just because I didn't believe in the book he puts his life on. People like him are the reason so many people have waged wars and died over that ridiculous man made book! That is a very interesting point you made about the active volcano Moses was on top of lol. I will add that one to my arsenal to defend my non-faith!

Joshnaz, I guess for some people the reason why they choose to disregard the Bible can go hand in hand with any religion that they were apart of. Alot of different reasons:social, religious, personal, science, FACTS that eventually make people stop believing in the all Holy Bible.

For me, I remember when I was really young going over the My Book of Bible Stories, I was always sad to the point of crying when Jehovah asked his peope to slaughter a innocent animal, burn it at the alter; that smell of death would please God. I still remember a picture of a lamb in that book getting slaughtered and burned. I have always loved my pets:dogs, cats, turtles, ect and did not see love or common sense in that command from God. Fast foward to 3 years ago, I was talking with a friend and he told me that the Catholics edited and put together the Bible canon. I dont know about you all but if the Catholics said it was sunny outside, I would automatically think it was a thunderstorm, hurricane, or twister. There was no way I would trust anything that came from the Catholic Church. All of these small facts stayed with me but the nail on the head was after I found out my beloved religon I would die for was just a hoax. That lead to me questioning EVERYTHING I was taught. I found out that the Global Flood NEVER HAPPENED!! Not one historian can find ANY evidence of this great phenomenom. I researched historical evidence that shows global human existence continued before, during, and after this fake global flood period. Plus, this story was borrowed from The Epic of Gilgamesh (a myth that pre-dates the Bible flood story)

Then automatically I remembered Jesus referring to a Global Flood...But wait, there was no global flood. At that moment I knew I could no longer believe the Bible was God's Word, because it as fallible and man made. After that I found all the inconsistancies and stolen mythological stories found in the Bible. I just wish everyone would throw their blind faith out the door and only live their life on good choices and love!!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Dubr,

There was a GREAT flood, not a global one, but for all intents and purposes, for the writers, a "world flood", their little world at least.

The fact that so many cultres speak of one tends to mean that there probably was some series of local floods and their are a few theories behind that (melting of ice left over from ice ageis one for example), as for Jesus peaking of a "world" or "global" flood, it was a reference to the flood that people knew, the fact that the writers chose to call it a "global" flood or a "flood that covered the world" was just typical writing for that time.

Long before the word of God was preached all over the world they all ready were saying it was preached all over the world, it just how people wrote things, the world = their KNOWN world not the actual planet Earth.

• donny
    donny

As I began to read the Bible without any guidance or limitations, I realized how horrible a god the being in Old Testament is. And this was further enhanced in hearing all of the reasonings and justifications given for his bad behavior. Then I began to realize that if there is indeed an all powerful Creator who brought everything in this material universe into existence, he/she/it could have done a hell of a lot better in communicating to his creatures than what we find in the Bible.

Donny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit