How did they know if someone was Circumcised?

by RubaDub 30 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Public baths were a very common feature of the Roman culture. It only stands to reason that many Jews living in Roman cities would adopt some of the customs of their neighbors, or at least there would be pressure to do so.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"Pardon me while I whip this out."

They all carried an official certificate of circumcision to "whip out" whenever they needed proof.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Am I correct in my memory that this was not a Jewish requirement until after they entered the promised land post-Moses? Thus, would the assumption be that Moses the patriarch was very likely NOT circumcised? (as he was supposedly prevented from crossing the Jordan due to getting the big-head?)

• Inkie
    Inkie

Actually, the Bible does answer that question. Note:

1 Then after fourteen years I again went up to Jerusalem with Bar´na·bas, taking also Titus along with me. 2 But I went up as a result of a revelation. And I laid before them the good news which I am preaching among the nations, privately, however, before those who were outstanding men, for fear that somehow I was running or had run in vain. 3 Nevertheless, not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, although he was a Greek. 4 But because of the false brothers brought in quietly, who sneaked in to spy upon our freedom which we have in union with Christ Jesus, that they might completely enslave us— 5 to these we did not yield by way of submission, no, not for an hour, in order that the truth of the good news might continue with YOU . —Galatians 2:1-5.

While what Blondie said is quite true, Paul mentions the above as well.

--Inkie

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

But because of the false brothers brought in quietly, who sneaked in to spy upon our freedom ...

Inkie ...

I guess you're right.

But it just would just seem creapy to me having "brothers" follow me to the bathroom every time I needed to pee.

Rub a Dub

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nice snippets on Circumcision

• Open mind
    Open mind

Only guys named Richard were allowed to be official Temple Foreskin Inspectors.

om

• minimus
    minimus

They were the head ones.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Show and tell.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Show and tell.

Yes, Jonathan ....

I just envision a guy named Tom and his family moving into the neighborhood. Some of the neighbors come to visit. After introducing themselves and exchanging pleasantries, one of the men asks, "Tom, we'd like to see your dick." Tom smiles, and pulls down his pants. Everyone looks and smiles. Someone says, "Tom, very nice. Glad to see you are circumcised. And wow, you've got a really nice one there." Another one comments, "Tom, it looks like you take very good care of it too." Tom nods his head, smiles and explains how he is very concerned about good hygiene. They all smile and continue on with their conversation.

With that behind him, Tom is well on his way to being accepted into the community.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit