To tell my parents or not to tell my parents...unfortunately that is a question

by feenx 28 Replies latest jw friends

• feenx
    feenx

I could use some perspective on something I'm struggling with. First off, a little background info. I am an only child and my parents, in addition to quite difficult circumstances we've all experienced, both personally and as a family while I was growing up, remain devout. My father is an elder and they attend a foreign language congregation. I have been DF'd for 7 years now. In that time I have had quite sporadic contact with my parents, up until about a year and half ago when after a couple of unpleasant confrontations with my mother (by this point I hadn't spoken with my dad in quite a while already) she cut off communication completely, stating that only in an emergency was there to be any contact. Based on some past behavior, such as my father not telling me when my mother had been admitted to the hospital, I have essentially taken that to mean the next time I heard from either of them, or anyone who knows them, would be in the event of a death. This is the mode I have been operating on, in terms of family, since my mother told me this.

The dilemma that I'm facing now is I recently got engaged, and I'm not sure whether or not to tell my parents, and I'm also not sure whether or not I even want to. There's a part of that thinks perhaps this will be a large enough event that they will have some desire to be a part of things, or work on our relationship, or at least be supportive from afar. There's another part of me that is a bit more cynical, and feels that we all know how things work. If they made the point to specifically say no contact, if they've already taken it that far, then there's nothing that will deviate them from that.

I think too whether or not I want them at the wedding, and I honestly can't say. Part of me would love for them to share in that beautiful day. Another part of me doesn't want a very hurtful part of my past present at a ceremony celebrating my future. And especially if they wouldn't be there in support, but more out of morbid curiosity, I don't want them there either.

A friend of mine suggested that perhaps this is a situation where even though I am the son I need to step up and be the bigger person, perhaps reach out, see if they want to meet on nuetral ground, don't even mention anything about the past, and just try and be positive about now and the future and hope they respond, before I completely write them off. Because at least then I could say I tried.

Part of me thinks my friend is right, and part of me is being selfish, and feeling like the child, and is angry and resentful that I have to make the effort at all. They're the ones that scarred the relationship, why should I have to grovel, and with a large event in my life to boot, to get some kind of affection, support or involvement from them?

And in the end, what am I REALLY going to get, if anything, from them? Lets say they did agree to see me, we met, talked, they had some level of interest in my life and my marriage. Am I ever going to have the relationship with them that I want? Or will it be like it was before, only amplified, where I felt like I constantly have to justify my life to them and inevitably always felt like complete sh*t after seeing them?

Once we're married the birth control will stop and sooner than I think I will have a child of my own. Do I want their disproval or potential negativity in my head when I introduce a little person to this world? I don't know.

My fiance last night was very supportive and said it's ok to be selfish, no one would judge me if I didn't contact my parents, and it's ok to not know what I want to do, if anything, right now. There's nothing wrong with that. I know she is right.

I had a hard time with it last night, and woke up this morning feeling terrible. I am living a good and happy life, and yet when it comes to my parents I feel like an utter failure and a complete tool. Sometimes I want to drive to their house, ring the be

• feenx
    feenx

hmm....for some reason the rest of my post got cut off. Anyways, I was asking the forum for some perspective. As a parent, what would you want? Anyone out there who has been a similar situation? Am I making too much out of this? Too little? I'm tired of feeling like utter crap when it comes to my parents and I want to find a good place to be in mentally and emotionally with it all, especially approaching a brand new part of my life...

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I am so sorry you are having to deal with the very hurtful policies of the WTBS and DF'd ones. Personally, I would let them know that I was getting married and invite them. If they choose not to come, that is on them. It's such a hateful thing to shun your child. They will miss out on a lot of happy times. I am glad you have the support of your future wife.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

1. EXPECT absolutely nothing from them. They are trapped in an apocalytpic, high-control group that tells them what to do. Never underestimate their capacity to do what is hurtful.

2. Take the high road. Write them to invite them to your wedding. Perahps a personal note with few details. This, with the expectation that they will not even acknowledge your message. This serves two purposes: It reminds them of what they're missing out on and it prevents them from ever accusing you of withdrawing from them. The ball is in their court. The issue is on their head.

3. Do what is right for you. If having them reject your invitation will be hurtful, then don't invite them. There is nothing wrong with not allowing people to further victimize you. Only you can decide what impact these matters will have on you.

• thomas15
    thomas15

From my totally NON JW perspective...

I find the JW rules for disfellowshipped ones to be silly. It is like the drug abuser, that person would rather shoot up or drink with their friends than have a conversation with their children. It is total selfishness and unnatural on their part, not yours.

Both of my parents and both of my inlaws had passed before our kids were born. It makes me sad when I think about it, the missed music concerts, the birthday parties, so forth. My daughter turns 16 this week and I'm taking her to get her learners permit on Firday. She doesn't have a Grandparent to share this special moment with. In your case it really stinks because there is really no rational reason why your parents don't have a basic relationship with you, your future wife and any future grandkids.

My advice, which is just my opinion is this. Send them a post card with the news. They have to read the short message even if they throw it away. No envelope to open. Don't expect them to call but pray they do. I hope they do.

Take care,

Tom

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would try to understand that they are still captives of a mind control cult, and even if they hadn't been speaking to me, I would want to let them know that I am there for them when they are ready. In other words, I would invite them. I would "be the bigger man" or whatever and remind them that they are shunning me, not me shutting them out.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Of course you have to tell them. Don't let their ignorant behavior affect how you behave toward them. Give them alll the love that you want to and let their behavior be on them.

Let them share in your joy if they want to. So, tell them and don't worry about what they think about it.

Also, invite them to the wedding.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I was the 'better' person and reached out. I sent beautiful invitations, I made sure everything was done tastefully. We rented a Banquet Hall for the wedding and reception. I didn't get an RSVP from my parents, so the day before I called and asked if they were coming.

My mom said.."no, we are not coming...we are taking your younger brothers to Bethel so they will understand what we feel is important."

Whatever...I'm still married and neither of my brothers goes to the KH.

lisa

• choosing life
    choosing life

I really hate this shunning thing. I had a dfd kid who came and told me they were getting married and I went to the wedding. You know youself and your parents better.

Whatever you do, don't let them spoil things for you. Congratulations!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Sometimes we need to set sentiment aside. Sometimes we need to realize that being the "bigger" person isn't worth the effort if the target of the exercise doesn't catch on to the fact that you are being the "bigger" person. In other words, it proves nothing to anyone but you, and you already know you're the "bigger" person. The fact that you started this thread is proof enough for me. I was the "bigger" person for most of my life, and I am living proof that being the "bigger" person too often can also be self destructive behaviour.

Your parents need to realize that you're an adult and are to be respected as such. The terms of a healthy relationship not imposed by any one party by unilateral decree. When I left the cult I made it clear that I will be a full family member every day or never again; no negotiation whatsoever. I won my mother but lost my wife. I say GOOD RIDDANCE!

I would write them and say that they will be welcome to the wedding on the condition that they cease their shunning forever and maintain a normal family relationship with me. We would also have to agree to refrain from discussing religious matters entirely, and that means with future grandchildren too. Otherwise it's good-bye for good.

See "family" for what it is. Biological similarities don't outweigh toxicity. I'd rather have friends with whom I have things in common than remain bound to a toxic family because of mere DNA.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit