1975????

by jayhawk1 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I wanted to say thanks guys, this answers what I figured to be true. Of course I know You Know is full of it, but I wanted to make sure I had my facts strait. I was not born until Jan. 14, 1976, so I just missed the whole thing. My father was afraid I would never be born, however my mother was secretly confident that the 1975 thing was full of it. You Know definitly belongs with the lot, that much is certain.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• AlanF
    AlanF

jayhawk1 said:

: I am too young to know what actually happened before and during 1975, but You Know said this to me, and I would like some more information.

:: Are you completely ignorant of why many of Jehovah's Witnesses looked to the year 1975? Do you think it was just something someone made up? Even most XJW's know that the 1975 fiasco had a foundation in Biblical chronology. That's what made it seem credible in the minds of those who greatly respected the authority of the Scriptures. All such speculation had some basis in Bible chronology. That's what makes the charge of false prophet ludicrios. It was a misunderstanding of chornology and prophecy. As I pointed out, the apostles fell into the same pitfall.

You Know, as usual, is telling half truths. He's right that, in a certain sense, "the 1975 fiasco had a foundation in Biblical chronology". But that's like saying, "Flat-earthism has a foundation in the Bible." The statement is true, but so much relevant information is left unsaid that the reader is completely misled.

Fred Franz unintentionally started the ball rolling in his 1966 book Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God. He presented a slightly updated chart of "Bible chronology" that had earlier been presented in bits and pieces since 1944. After the Society got a lot of response to certain comments in the book that 1975 could well be "it", Franz fanned the flames of enthusiasm within Bethel and, through Watchtower publications, the entire JW community. Various skeptics asked him why he was fanning the speculative flames, and generally came away with the impression that it was good for the JW community to have a new goal attached to a particular date.

Over the years, various articles were printed in The Watchtower, Awake!, Kingdom Ministry and various books that strongly suggested, and in some cases stated outright, that 1975 would usher in Christ's Millennial Reign. Had these statements been kept to a low level of enthusiasm, and been labeled in each case as just reasonable speculation, there would have been no problem. But the Society encouraged JWs, in its printed publications and especially through its representatives such as Circuit and District Overseers, to believe that 1975 was almost certainly going to be "it". Naturally, any such information not clearly labeled speculation coming from "the faithful and discreet slave" was bound to be taken very seriously by the JW community. And that is exactly what Fred Franz counted on.

From time to time various people who were directly involved in the inner workings of the Watchtower from 1966 through 1980 have come forth and told what they observed on the part of JW leaders, the men who at first were Directors or held other responsible positions in the Society and later became Governing Body members. Fred Franz convinced many of them to really believe that 1975 would be "it". Others reserved judgment, but because of the mob mindset going on in Bethel they went along. Thus, the Governing Body was ultimately responsible for the dashed hopes and disappointment of the JW community.

I've compiled a long list of quotations that prove exactly what the Society taught the JW community to believe about 1975. Look on this website: http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm and find the articles "Notes on False Prophets -> Part 3: Statements Concerning 1918, 1925 and 1975" and "1975 New Info". The first contains a lot of stuff from basic WTS publications and the second has a lot of quotes from Kingdom Ministry. Put them together and you'll see how the Society and JW defenders like You Know attempt to deceive people into believing that 1975 was no big deal to the JWs.

AlanF

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Thanks AlanF! I have been to the website you suggested, and go back there frequently for that matter. I have been working on being more articulate on this board, and You Know's posts are a good place to begin. However, it is hard for me to relate to what happened before 1975, (in particular 1966-1975) because I was not around then. In the year and a half that I have been officially out, has been quite an education. Much of what I have learned has come from you and others that post here. So thanks again for your help.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Jayhawk,take note of the last paragraph of AlanF`s post.I know people still,who lived and preached during this time.Some,not all pretend like it never happened.They can look me in the face and lie to me.When I stick their own information in their face,they have nothing to say except"I don`t remember that!"..LIARS!!!!...OUTLAW

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

OUTLAW, the 1975 thing was news to me when I left the Jehovah's Witnesses. I had barely heard of it before I left, and what I did hear was, "It was not big deal," or "1975 was mentioned in a couple of Watchtowers and some made a big deal about it." When I read the Freeminds.org site and saw the Society originally said, I could almost believe it was true, until I realized it was October 1999. (at the time I read it, it was 1999) It must have been something to see while it was going down.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Dear Brothers,

The 'End' did indeed come in 1975. It's just the 'End' was not near as 'bad' as we expected it to be!

Outaservice (looking forward to 2014)

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Outaservice,

The 'End' did indeed come in 1975. It's just the 'End' was not near as 'bad' as we expected it to be!

So I was born in the new system, that is great news! Hooray, I'm perfect!

• barry
    barry

The theory the world is 6000 thousand years old is Archbishop Uushers idea he even calutated God started his creative work 9am monday morning as this is the time most people start the week.
    Barry

• JeffT
    JeffT

At the five day international convention in the summer of 1973 they put on a drama about the fall of Jericho. Immediatlely after that they announced that we would be starting a new tract work in September. They said that the idea was to hit every house with a simple tract. We weren't going to say much, just give them the tract or leave it in the door if it was a not at home. And that this would be be repeated at three month intervals.

That night a bunch of us we were talking over the days events. A certain "sister K" said that she figured out that the fact that we weren't saying much was just like the Israelites not saying anything while they were marching around Jericho. And if we did this at three month intervals for seven times the last one would be in Sept/Oct 1975.

Fast forward about 15 years. About the time Mrs. T and I were gearing up to leave the Borg, sister K and her husband visited us a couple of nights. We were talking about what was going on earlier in our lives and 1975 came up. I brought up this story without mentioning any names. Sister K said "oh, nobody ever said anything like that."

I think George Orwell had it right. Some people can drop it down the memory hole and it never existed.

• r51785
    r51785
    The '75 fiasco was grounded on chronology based on the creative day periods of 7000 years starting with the last day which begun with Adam.....and the 6000 year would have been in '75.

The 7000 years per creative day was crucial to 1975 because 6000 years of human existence + 1000 years of millenium = 7000 years of the seventh creative day. However no proof has every been shown from the Bible that a creative day is 7000 years. Does the WT still teach the 7000 year creative day?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit