How Jehovah's Witnesses Differ From Cults

by Bangalore 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yesidid
    yesidid
    The WTBTS tells its members that they are not to read the writings of the founder of the organization, Charles Taze Russel, that these writings are now "apostate" and anyone promoting those writings would be guilty fo "apostasy".

Where did you get that?

y

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

Full Topic on Toxic Teachings by Abusive WBTS Church Sect

http://bb2.atbb.jp/possible/viewtopic.php?p=394#394

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There is serious disagreement among the so-called experts on what is a cult and what is not.
    I prefer to go right to identifying a DANGEROUS MIND-CONTROL cult, and skip the general cult definition.
    I prefer the BITE method that Steve Hassan reports on.

A dangerous mind control cult attempts to control:
    Behaviour of the members
    Information received by the members
    Thoughts of the members
    Emotions of the members.

Fits WTS to a tee.

The link provided sounds like straight-from-WTS propoganda.

• dig692
    dig692

John WScott = JWS

Coincidence? I think not...

• undercover
    undercover
    There is serious disagreement among the so-called experts on what is a cult and what is not.

That's why when I'm trying to get a JW to think for oneself or explaining how the religion works to somenoe who has little knowledge of the religion I don't even use the word "cult". Mention "cult" to most people and they think of the People's Temple, Waco or some other high profile group where death and destruction resulted from adherence to the philosophies of the cult, er, group. It just confuses people.

I prefer the BITE method that Steve Hassan reports on.

A dangerous mind control cult attempts to control:
    Behaviour of the members
    Information received by the members
    Thoughts of the members
    Emotions of the members.

I like the BITE method as well, except that it doesn't have to apply to just "dangerous" cults...it can apply to benign ones as well, though maybe not to the degree that it would with a harmful group.

We can identify the "dangerous" aspects of the JW religion/sect/cult here quite easily since many here have been damaged by them, but to outsiders and indoctrinated members themselves, they'll most likely never grasp the concept of "cult" the way we apply it. I prefer to point to the hypocrisies and the impacts of each of the BITE points in a way that doesn't cause a JW to throw up a defensive wall immediately or cause on outsider to think I'm just bitter and looking for every little negative thing.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

His is only one opinion. Others see in differently.

The biggest difference to me in how they are different is the word 'christian' that they like to use in their literature and name. To the mainstream population, a Christian is a person who follows Jesus or is Christlike - and that means compassionate, caring and loving - the Jehovahs Witnesses are Old Testament followers including old testament judgement and punishment.

A person is more likely to join in with a group that labels themselves a Christian Congregation of....xxxxx...than they are if the group just labels themselves Moonies, Goonies or Loonies. The word Christian denotes 'goodness' for so many people that they feel safe in allowing them in their homes and provides a wide berth of allowances for the members.

By using one word, they move into the illusion of the safe zone instead of the crazies and fit into society much easier. sammieswife.

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

But what christian makes false prophecy, fucks kids and covers it up,misuses the bible and family to create a climate of fear, has relations in the political field...I guess these count the wbts out as far as these topics are concerned.

They are dangerous. Worse than christendom and Scientology

• wobble
    wobble

Undercover makes a very good point, if you use the word cult with people it is often a spur to get into a debate on what a cult is, and you then lose the opportunity to highlight the sins of the WTB$

Far better to give brief examples that are true of where they use the " B.I.T.E " methods. I do use the word Cult for them eventually with people who are well out ,or I have educated to the point where they can see it is true,but never in the first instance.

Of course they are acult,and not aChristian one, I cannot see anything that they do that is following Christ in reality, can you ?

Love

Wobble

• user10
    user10

"I will give just one example. The WTBTS tells its members that they are not to read the writings of the founder of the organization, Charles Taze Russel, that these writings are now "apostate" and anyone promoting those writings would be guilty fo "apostasy"."

Is that an unofficial thing or can you cite a source where you saw it? Would love to see it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

So I take it that most here don't agree?

Now- there's a surprise.

I vote 'CULT'. I vote the guy who wrote it 'DELUDED'.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit