Would the WT$ outright lie?

by peacedog 54 Replies latest jw friends

• peacedog
    peacedog

In another thread the question of whether or not the WT$ would "outright lie" was raised.

I happen to believe that they would in a heartbeat, although I agree that their preference is for sneaky misleading statements as opposed to outright lies. Regardless, here's a short list of some of what I consider incontrovertible evidence that yes, the WT$ would outright lie.

Consider the following statements printed in the WT magazine:

Why, then, do the nations not realize and accept the approach of this climax of judgment? It is because they have not heeded the world-wide advertising of Christ's return and his second presence. Since long before World War I Jehovah's witnesses pointed to 1914 as the time for this great event to occur. (WT June 15/1954, p.370)

If you know the history of the WT$ then you ought to recognize this statement as an outright lie. The WT$ never pointed forward to 1914 as the time for "Christ's return and his second presence". "Long before World War I" (and long after World War I) the WT$ said this "great event" occurred in 1874:

Bible prophecy shows that the Lord was due to appear for the second time in the year 1874. Fulfilled prophecy shows beyond a doubt that he did appear in 1874. Fulfilled prophecy is otherwise designated the physical facts; and these facts are indisputable. (WT Nov 1/1922, p.333)

The charade that they predicted the return of Christ for 1914 is one the WT$ is intent on maintaining and to this end they've published outright lies on numerous occasions.

Another:

Similarly, a prophecy providentially caused sincere 19th-century Bible students to be in expectation. By linking the "seven times" of Daniel 4:25 with "the times of the Gentiles," they anticipated that Christ would receive Kingdom power in 1914. (WT Sep 15/1998, p.15)

Bullshit. In the 19th century the WT$ taught that Christ had already received Kingdom power in 1878:

The year A.D. 1878, being the parallel of his assuming power and authority in the type, clearly marks the time for the actual assuming of power as King of kings, by our present, spiritual, invisible Lord–the time of his taking to himself his great power to reign... (Time is at Hand,1902,p.239)

Another one:

Jehovah's witnesses pointed to the year 1914, decades in advance, as marking the start of "the conclusion of the system of things." (Awake! Jan 22/73, p.8)

Bullshit again. "Decades in advance", the WT$ pointed to 1914 as nothing other than the absolute END. The "time of the end" or "conclusion of the system of things" was said to have started in 1799:

"The time of the end" embraces a period from A.D. 1799, as above indicated... (The Harp of God,1921,p.231)

Another:

As far back as 1879, the publishers of this magazine pointed to the year 1914 as a marked year in Bible prophecy, as the starting point for what the Bible calls "the time the end." (Awake!, Oct 8,1972, p 15.)

"As far back as 1879" and much later than 1879 the WT$ pointed to the year 1799 - not 1914 - as the starting point for "the time of end":

"The time of the end" embraces a period from A.D. 1799, as above indicated... (The Harp of God,1921,p.231)

Another:

True to such calculations, 1914 did mark the end of those times and the birth of God's kingdom in heaven with Christ Jesus as king. Just think of it! Jehovah granted his people that knowledge nearly four decades before those times expired. (1975 Yearbook, p. 37)

Four decades before 1914? Not according to this WT$ book published in 1913:

Our Lord, the appointed King, is now present,since October 1874, A.D., according to the testimony of the prophets, to those who have ears to hear it: and the formal inauguration of his kingly office dates from April 1878, A.D. ... Consequently the Kingdom, as represented in our Lord, and the sleeping saints already fitted and prepared and found worthy to be members of "his body," the "bride," was set up in 1878. (Battle of Armageddon,1913,p621-2)

These are a few examples that I had at my fingertips. There are more and no doubt others could offer more examples.

Speaking personally, the fact that the WT$ so readily and so blatantly deceives their readers about their past history convinces me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the JW religion is not the true religion. Endless debates about "a god" vs "God", torture stake vs cross, paradise earth vs heaven can all go out the window. They don't matter because the WT$ is a LIAR ORGANIZATION and therefore not true religion. At least that's how I see it.

peace

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Very good! Thanks for all your efforts. Printing and saving for future reference.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Yes good post Peacedog, the WTS. lies to mislead and cover over previous lies, but it has to be stated that many JWS do not know of the organizations previous contrived bullshit.

Even some of the writers of the WTS. today vaguely know of the past bullshit from their predecessors that came before them..

This organization was built on conjecture of complacent bullshit.

• peacedog
    peacedog

Homer: Agreed that many (most) JWs don't know the past bullshit of the org. It's for that reason the WTS can get away with printing such blatant lies.

I'm not sure if I agree that the writers aren't familiar with the organization's history though. I think they'd need to be familiar with it.

And lest we forget, the articles are "checked carefully by members of the governing body before they are published."

*** w59 10/1 p. 607 Questions From Readers ***
    The literature published by the Watch Tower Society is published in the name of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. Regardless of who may write certain articles, they are checked carefully by members of the governing body before they are published; so they are properly viewed as coming from the Society.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Corruption and religion go hand in hand many times, carefully hidden away of course.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you haven't already done so, please read Randy Watters book, 'Thus Saith Jehovah's Witnesses'. Complete with scans and photocopies from WT publications, this book details many of their lies that are in print. Some are minor and some are significant.

In Ray's book, I think it was Knorr he quoted as saying when something "rolls off the 6th floor [printing press in Brooklyn]...it's The Truth".

So, in a way, at any given time, whatever is in the latest WT magazine is what they consider to be "the truth". Doesn't this make them pathological liars? They actually believe their lies and cannot tell the truth from the lie.

If you're a Christian, the explanation for this is simple: WT is from their father, the Devil, the father of the lie. If you're not a Christian, they're simply a printing company evolving to stay alive and profitable.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Develop a built-in bullshit detector" ~ Earnest Hemmingway

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why Watchtower writers don`t wear pants..

When they write..

LIAR LIAR..

PANTS ON FIRE!..

• blondie
    blondie

*** w93 1/15 p. 5 ‘Caught Away to Meet the Lord’—How? ***When a foreign head of State visits a country, the dates of his presence there are generally announced. This has been true of the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. TheWatchtower has consistently presented evidence to honesthearted students of Bible prophecy that Jesus’ presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914. Events since that year testify to Jesus’ invisible presence. (Matthew 24:3-14)

*** w74 8/15 p. 507 No Spiritual "Energy Crisis" for Discreet Ones ***Hence, when C. T. Russell began publishing a new religious magazine in July 1879, it was called "Zion’s Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence." It was heralding Christ’s presence as having begun in 1874.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Why Watchtower writers don`t wear pants.. When they write..

Well Outlaw, I had another answer to this question, but it wasn't exactly politically correct....

Btw, you know the song, "It's 5:00 somewhere?" It's 5:00 here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit