Lawyer Letter copy to Judicial Committee

by Gayle 43 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I would definitely recommend taking such action or even just saying you will do so if the need arose.

In a recent talk - last Sunday actually - the speaker was talking about families and then said somthing about home life that shocked me. He said that if a family member is disfellowshipped "do you show loyalty to Jehovah by not even eating with such a one". In such a serious matter I would expect that he would have at least clarified that if this member lives at home then one would be allowed to eat with them. But he did not do this.

I think public speakers ought to be given some sort of guidance about thinking carefully about what they say in public talks.

• wobble
    wobble

My memory may be at fault, but i think some comment was made years ago that if a DF'd person lived at home it was preferable not to share ameal with them, unbefu**ingbelivable ! (Blondie may remember ?)

A great letter,well expressed,and adaptable by us wherever we live.

Many thanks for posting Gayle.

love

Wobble

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    My memory may be at fault, but i think some comment was made years ago that if a DF'd person lived at home it was preferable not to share ameal with them, unbefu**ingbelivable !

Wrong.

It's if they don't live at home. http://www.watchtower.org/e/19880415/article_01.htm

The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home. It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum, in line with the divine principle: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person [or guilty of another gross sin], . . . not even eating with such a man."

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

There was a poster who had an ironclad DA letter similar to this. Cant remember his name I think it was blue belly, blue something.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

The so called "elders" will just schedule a "special" talk where they will discuss the facts relating to the person's case in a "generic" way and the talk will give "counsel" that the congregation should mark any person who commits such acts. Of course, everyone will know exactly who they are talking about thanks to the gossip hotline. And, of course the "elders" will deny that they are talking about anyone in particular.

• darthfader
    darthfader

I have some concern that I may face this same situation. This letter is a great piece of reference information! I think that the Witnesses have a right to DF anyone they want, I just don think they have a right to publically announce the victim's name from the platform. Those meetings are open to the public so non JW's will hear the announcement. I dont claim to be a witness and if anyone was to ask me my affiliation with the witnesses, I would say I havent been part of that orfanization for years (the truth is, about 10 of them). I still have family who are Witnesses and would like to keep my "status" as "perpetually inactive/disinterested". I get the occasional pep talk, but I just let that roll off my back.

Thanks again for sharing this!

Darth Fader

• carla
    carla

Do the elders realize that they personally and not the wt would be liable for any monetary judgements should one win a suit like this?

I wonder if more faders/ex jw's would actually hold elders personally responsible and sue them there would be fewer elders within the org? If a jw has a jc and he plays hardball like the above letter then no jw's should really hear about the jc at all, correct? there would be no unspoken shunning applied to the jw in question. The only way the rest of the cong heard about any wrong doing or apostacy would be through the elders themselves, right? So the fader/ex could still hold them personally liable for slander or otherwise ruining their reputation and relationships?

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I believe that LennyinBluemont posted his letter here. He said he got a lot of it from DocBob.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Yes it was lenny I knew it had blue in it. Any chance of getting it reposted or bumped up?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

mark for later

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit