Lawyer Letter copy to Judicial Committee

by Gayle 43 Replies latest jw friends

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

As it ended up, I never heard back from the elders. From all I have heard, no announcement was made to the effect that I was disfellowshipped, disassociated or was no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I did hear that a talk was given about my "situation" without mentioning my name.

So, if for example, I sent the legal letter to my current congregation or the branch, then I could leave without it being announced? Would they give a talk about my "situation"? And, if so, how would anyone know about it if I did not discuss it? I know the elder body has "confidentiality leaks" so it might get out anyway...but...it is fun to contemplate.

What would really be great is if I could send the letter, and then attend meetings when I wanted. They couldn't say anything. Would really FREAK them out!

• DocBob
    DocBob

DS, I don't know what your local elders would do. I do doubt that you could send it and then continue to go to meetings. Also, I think things have changed a bit in the 10 years since I sent mine out. I did hear from one guy in the past year that used the letter and the elders still pursued him judicially.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

interesting

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am a lawyer and this is not an appropriate venue for legal advice. My specialty is constitutional rights b/c of my Witness background. The First Amendment only restricts government (federal until after the Civil War; federal and state since then with some debate from Justice Thomas). The Witnesses have a very protected First Amendment right to conduct their religion as they see fit as long as they violate no laws of general applicability (such as fire regs; psychedelic drug use not protected by First Amendment; bigamy laws). Changes in facts change the relevant law. Every situation is different. Tort law regarding libel and defamation may apply. Constitutional rights generally trump state law.

The Internet is not a good way to get legal advice. Frankly, if this letter were forwarded to Bethel the WTBTS would not shake with fear. They probably insulate themselves from the actions of what they prob. term autonomous Kingdom Halls. It is possible it scared off the local brothers.

Recently, I read a law review article concerning Witness conduct in prewar Japan. I dropped my work to read it. Being on the outside now, I expected to read stirring accounts of individual JWs functioning in a state with a god-emperor. A female lawyer (how does one become a female lawyer with the JW. In my day, the mere posturing of a woman with advice would be against the rules) wrote only about the valiant work of the WTBTS, sitting smug in Brooklyn. Not a solitary Witness was mentioned in the article.

The Society was generally clear as to what behavior it tolerated. Precious little. Due process and fairness was never promised. A theocracy is not democratic. Still, I would recommend people consult a local lawyer if stopping the process is important. No one has to know that you consulted with one. Expense is problematic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit