Christmas

by PSacramento 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am sure there is a topic already abput this somewhere, but I am too lazy to search so I beg your indulgence :)

My little one Sofia asked me about Christmas the other day ( she is 6) and of course she mentioned how Grandma said that Christmas is NOT the day Jesus was born and that it is a pagan day !!!

* pause for thunderclap*

My reply:

Honey, it is probably tru that Jesus was not born on December 25, to be honest we don't knwo for sure when he was born, but a long time ago, for reasons that don't matter to US anymore, people chose to celebrate his death on December 25.

Now, if we chose to do that, we have to celebrate it with God and Jesus in our hearts and realize that it is a day of love, compassion and forgiveness.

Of course, grandma believes that we shouldn't celebrate birthdays anyways and likes to get us together on a different days so, in that regards, celebrating Jesus's Bday on a different day is ok too.

• sacolton
    sacolton

If it's good enough for the angels to acknowledge - it should be good enough for us too.

Luke 2:13-14

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Well said PSac. The WT banned it in the late 20's (although they say it was something that made them dirty enough to be thrown into babylonish captivity in 1918, one must wonder why they were freed in 1919 and made steward of Jesus earthly belongings while still engaging in this). It was really banned for 2 reasons- it gave Jesus what the Wt deemed undue attetnin, and it made its captives different, so as not to fit in with outsiders.

• mouthy
    mouthy

GOOD ANSWER!!!! Well said.. Your kid has a very smart MUM! Your to be applauded

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

I'll bet they love to hate you!

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sacolton,

I used that passage all the time :)

Isaac,

Didn't the WT celebreat Christams in the 30's still? I remember that picture in Ray's COC, when was the date on that?

Mouthy,

Her mom is very smart and quite amazing, I think her Dad is cool too ;)

Sylvia,

Honey, you have NO idea!

I have even been told that I am bringing Satan in their lives.

Yep.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

1929 PSac, so they celebrated until at least then.

• blondie
    blondie

*** jv chap. 14 p. 199 "They Are No Part of the World" ***R. H. Barber, a member of the headquarters staff who made a thorough investigation of the origin of Christmas customs and the fruitage that these were yielding, presented the results in a radio broadcast. That information was also published in TheGoldenAge of December 12, 1928. It was a thorough exposé of the God-dishonoring roots of Christmas. Since then, the pagan roots of Christmas customs have become general public knowledge, but few people make changes in their way of life as a result. On the other hand, Jehovah’s Witnesses were willing to make needed changes in order to be more acceptable as servants of Jehovah.

*** jv chap. 14 p. 200 "They Are No Part of the World" ***This Christmas celebration at Brooklyn Bethel in 1926 was their last. The Bible Students gradually came to appreciate that neither the origin of this holiday nor the practices associated with it honored God.

*** jv chap. 14 p. 199 "They Are No Part of the World" ***This holiday was celebrated yearly even by members of the Watch Tower Society’s headquarters staff at the Bethel Home in Brooklyn, New York. For many years they had been aware that December 25 was not the correct date, but they reasoned that the date had long been popularly associated with the birth of the Savior and that doing good for others was proper on any day. However, after further investigation of the subject, the members of the Society’s headquarters staff, as well as the staffs at the Society’s branch offices in England and in Switzerland, decided to stop sharing in Christmas festivities, so no Christmas celebration was held there after 1926.

*** w65 7/15 p. 446 Serving Jehovah Brings Happy Contentment ***I was asked to give an hour talk over a hookup on the subject of Christmas. It was given December 12, 1928, and published in The GoldenAge #241 and again a year later in #268. That talk pointed out the pagan origin of Christmas. After that, the brothers at Bethel never celebrated Christmas again.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

They really should get their dates in order.

Sheesh.

So, according tot he WT, even after Jesus choose them in 1919, it still took almost 10 years to realize that Christmas was "pagan" ?

Jesus must be communication via carrier pigeons and in code !

• sacolton
    sacolton

The light flashed forth .... slowly?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit