Dec. 15th WT - WT Society REALLY Minimizes Earning a Decent Living

by flipper 62 Replies latest jw friends

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

In the congregation I am in right now there are people who have quit good jobs to 'pioneer'. I see a trend, especially in young people, to use the pioneer service as an excuse not to seek, productive, full-time work. It is pitiful how this religion feeds into the inherent laziness of some people and gives them a 'righteous' reason to not do anything with their lives. And, the ultimate irony of course, is that I have yet to see one of these people bring an interested person to the KH. Their days are filled with riding around in cars, running errands, and wasting time. So very sad.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

It states on pg. 9 " The scriptures command Christians to provide for the material needs of their families. But if secular work consumes too much time and energy, it can rob you of joy in God's service . Some have concluded that putting first God's kingdom has meant SEEKING DIFFERENT EMPLOYMENT . No Christian should allow the FINANCIAL BENEFITS of a demanding job to blind him to the more important spiritual things. "

Haha that is a bunch of baloney!! I too have always found this retarded. And many of my old JW friends did too! I swear I think they print that stuff for their own amusement.... only the gullable bought into that or spiritual show offs using that as a means to get up on stage.

• blondie
    blondie

I would imagine WalkTall that these young people are living at home or in some way mommy and daddy are footing the bill. It's a good thing the parents have a job. So what happens if they meet the girl of their dreams and get married, do they all still live at home. And if a baby comes....

I regular pioneered as a "young person" and paid my way. Of course, probably it was a little easier to pay my way. But I had to endure the company of 3 other jw women in a 2 to 3 bedroom apartment. No money from my parents.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

And yet the Apostle Paul boosted how he worked and supported himself with hisown hands.

Shocking apostate that he was !!

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

to add to my comment. My mom worked her A** off! She had two jobs to try and support me and my sister! She was depressed and I know that that stuff in the artcles got to her because she would have to work sometimes on meeting nights! That was not fair.

I believe strongly in being resonable and that shouldn't be printed at all. People have to servive and be praised for their hard work.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I see a trend, especially in young people, to use the pioneer service as an excuse not to seek, productive, full-time work. It is pitiful how this religion feeds into the inherent laziness of some people and gives them a 'righteous' reason to not do anything with their lives.

Oh my God...that is PERFECTLY said!!!! This seems to be the 'thing' to do now...and I have a problem with that. Young people who don't really WANT to pioneer BUT also don't want to work FT, so their parents cut deals with them that if they pioneer they can live at home as long as they want and not have to pay bills (so they can work PT and keep their lil money). That type of action BREEDS laziness...you are so right about that. You end up with these adults, who have ever intention of getting married, but have NO skills or even motivation to support a family because they have been coddled. UGH.

• sir82
    sir82

WalkTall,

If I didn't know better, I'd swear we were in the same Kingdom hall, if not the same congregation...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Flipper,

Honestly, these bastards can go to hell. Because these idiots have preached poverty for so long and have HURT so many who listened to them, they are not entitled to anything as far as I am concerned. Nobody should contribute anything to them. I will never forget OR forgive all the stupid remarks I heard about 'materialism' from idiots who chose not to be part of the workforce. Now that the bottom has fallen out of the economy and so many are unemployed, do they think they are going to target the remaining people who are barely hanging on to their jobs??? This, in and of itself, makes me glad I no longer associate with the religion because I would have to tell people off.

So, in addition to the DEADBEATS who were there all along, now there are more people with their hand out. If I were active in the religion I would be the LAST person to receive assistance. They would only be helping 'pioneers' and people in cliques and extended families. I hate to sound callous but I don't want to hear anything about anybody asking for contributions for circuit overseers and the like. I don't want to know about these people.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    This is rather perplexing, given their cash flow problems. A worldwide congregation of semi-employed window washers and "cheese cracker men" can't contribute much money.
    I figure they must be counting on a couple of things:
    1) Rich JWs will continue to ignore such messages as this, just as they have for the past several generations, and continue to send in money
    or
    2) They are expecting to make an enormous killing by selling their Brooklyn properties in a few years, and the profits of that will carry them long enough so that they won't run out of money until the current GB are long gone. Then it's the next guys' problem to figure out where the money comes from.

Or 3) they really do believe the end of the system of things is near.

• undercover
    undercover
    I see a trend, especially in young people, to use the pioneer service as an excuse not to seek, productive, full-time work. It is pitiful how this religion feeds into the inherent laziness of some people and gives them a 'righteous' reason to not do anything with their lives.
    This seems to be the 'thing' to do now...and I have a problem with that. Young people who don't really WANT to pioneer BUT also don't want to work FT, so their parents cut deals with them that if they pioneer they can live at home as long as they want and not have to pay bills (so they can work PT and keep their lil money). That type of action BREEDS laziness...

The practice of staying home with parents and pioneering, in theory, hasn't really changed since I was a kid. When I graduated school, my parents encouraged me to pioneer and to stay home as long as possible to continue in the pioneer service. I never did pioneer, but they did continue to discourage me from moving out on my own.

During those better economic times, young JWs (including me) were enticed by good jobs and easy financing for homes so they put off pioneering to establish their own lives/families. We took advantage of the times to establish our own lives instead of being tied down in our parents lifestyle.

Now, though, times are tough. Jobs are hard to find. JW kids are taking the easier way out. Stay home, let Mom and Dad foot the bill. In return they pioneer. No pay, but it gives them a false sense of security and everyone pats them on the back and they don't have to face the reality of the hard economic times.

So the above quotes are correct. There is a trend in more JW kids staying home and pioneering and it does breed a certain kind of laziness.

But they're not alone. I've read several articles where there's a trend in college kids moving back home after school. They can't find a career job, so they move back, much to Mom and Dad's dismay. They difference with them though is that they're actively seeking work and taking temporary, service oriented jobs while waiting for their break. They want to survive on their own...it's just tough right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit