Satan is not that smart, is he?

by dgp 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• No Longer Held Captive
  • Robdar
    Robdar

If you have a good, good hero, you must have a bad, bad antagonist. Just ask Hollywood.

Fables indeed.

• dgp
    dgp

On a more serious note, the real point I wanted to make is this: This is yet another way in which what they tell you just doesn't add up. You can't believe such a smart but foolish antagonist really exists.

I am sure you all have read the Book of Job. In my opinion, in that book Jehovah does not seem to be a loving god. He takes a bet with Satan and they make Job's life miserable. Job's children die, by the way; so Jehovah disposes of fairly good people. I know that it can be said that it was Satan who appears to be doing all the nasty things, but Jehovah took the bet, so he is equally responsible. If we believe that Jehovah already knew he would win, then He doesn't look very moral from another angle; he makes his good servant miserable over a meaningless bet. Satan, on the other hand, appears even more foolish. He takes a bet that he can't win. It's as you people took a bet on whether I have a white shirt on at this moment, or not. Would you take it?

Like I said, this doesn't add up, either.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Yeah, the Job account is troublesome on so many levels.

With many of these biblical accounts, all you need to do is actually meditate on them and imagine what it would be like if these things really happened to you.

How would you really feel, if you found out that God allowed all your children to be killed to prove a point? If this really happened do you think you'd feel real good about everything if God allowed you to have another group of children to replace the first group that were killed. Wouldn't you feel absolutely horrified that a superior being would mess with your life in such a fashion. THINK ABOUT IT.

The only plausible explanation is that the story was made up by an imperfect person.

The Oracle

• glenster
    glenster

I like having friends whether they believe in God or not, but speaking of
    literature that's hard to believe, it's kind of strange reading posts by people
    who don't want to have faith in God explain that they can't believe there'd be
    someone who doesn't want io.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

There are people in the world who do terrible things overindulging the self
    all the time, like Manson or that guy in Fort Hood, despite risking their lives
    and future regarding the known world to do it. Other than it being about a
    being that's a faith matter, it's not so incredible a concept.

I think one of the theology points that usually comes up is He could have made
    it that we all abide, but it doesn't count for as much unless it's freely given.
    Given free will for self, you get the bad and the good. For God's part, He isn't
    all-beneficent and doesn't want everyone. Before you're too hard on Him. look
    around--would you?

• dgp
    dgp

Glenster, I respect your point of view, too. In the future, I will make sure I won't mock anyone's beliefs. Would you have a look at this link, please?

http://secweb.infidels.org/?kiosk=articles&id=310

It's on the same page you referred to. "The implausibility of Satan", by Paul Doland.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The idea that Satan would challenge Jehovah and claim he should be worshipped makes no sense. The Watchtower view is that Jehovah created Satan and all other things and is omnipotent. Jehovah is the source of the spirit that makes beings live. There is no way that Satan would think others would agree that he deserved worship instead of Jehovah. He may have challenged his position relative to other created beings, but not against Jehovah.

If a 5 year old child tells a mother, "you can't tell me what to do?" The mother simply has to say "I pay for the food and the rent so I can tell you what to do. If you don't like that, there is the door; go provide for yourself." Even a child is smart enough to back down with such reasoning. For Satan not to puts his level of reasoning as less than that of a child.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Satanus: "... satan only has chicken power. "

Don't underestimate chicken power. The rebellion has only just begun.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

The reason he rebelled is mentioned in genesis: He wanted to be worshipped.

bohm, where is it mentioned in the book of Genesis? Can you point me to the scripture(s)?

~Sue
  • Satanus
    Satanus

The bird said

'Don't underestimate chicken power. The rebellion has only just begun.

Ok, but in the mean time, i'm gonna keep eating eggs w my bacon. Hope the pigs don't rise up, as well.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit