Satan is not that smart, is he?

by dgp 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• parakeet
    parakeet

Satanus: Hope the pigs don't rise up, as well.

The pigs had their chance. They blew it. It's the birds' turn now. Hitchcock didn't know the half of it.

"Death from above!"

parakeet, of the downtrodden-bird class

• John Doe
    John Doe

I don't know. What do you think about Sisyphus?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The real Satan was very smart. And very worried that Jehovah was about to tyrannize the human race--and moved to do something about it. Satan was willing to forfeit his very life in order to do his job (which was to guard the human race). Satan did an excellent job at that--and did not care who it was that was the threat (even if it was God Himself).

God, on the other hand, is so almighty stupid that He cannot figure out the simplest way to handle situations. Create a race with brains, and then forbid them from using those brains. Really bright. Send your Son to earth to die for our sins, yet keep us waiting more than 1900 years (and, soon, 2000) for it to kick in. In the meantime, demand continual sacrifice both before and after this. Expect everything anyone does to be what God tells us to do (which Satan saw coming, and did something about it).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Satan serves his purpose, he knows his role and knows he can never "win", of course "winning" isn't what he is all about.

Satan is our opposer, our adversary and it's his job to show us how easily we stray from the path, how easily we are imperfect.

He has no power other than what is given to him by Us, he certainly has no power other than being able to influence people to do what is wrong for them.

He is part of the natural balance of things, for without darkeness there can be no light and without struggle, nothing is worth "winning".

• Satanus
    Satanus

'Satan serves his purpose, he knows his role and knows he can never "win", of course "winning" isn't what he is all about.

Satan is our opposer, our adversary and it's his job to show us how easily we stray from the path, how easily we are imperfect.'

How much is god paying him, per hour? Hope it's a lot, because otherwise, it must be a thankless job.

S

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Satanus,

Its not the salary, its the perks that keeps the Big S happy:

• dgp
    dgp

Since we're talking about Satan, let us talk about Judas Iscariot, too. If my understanding is right, Satan tempted him or whatever, and he sold Jesus for thirty pieces of silver. The problem with this allegation is that, for prophecies to be fulfilled, SOMEONE had to turn Jesus in. God knew who that person would be. That person, Judas Iscariot, played the role he had to play so that the SAVIOR would be able to save us. How is Judas Iscariot to blame for that? This has a huge implication. It means that the poor devil we've been talking about also played a big role in salvation, for it was he who lured Judas into being a traitor, so the prophecy would be fulfilled. Why does Satan the Poor Devil bother to do anything, after all? Since when God needs Satan for a prophecy to be fulfilled? Does this sound confusing?

On the other hand, Satanus, the perks of the job seem attractive enough :-). Do you think she would be a demon in bed?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

The reason he rebelled is mentioned in genesis: He wanted to be worshipped.

bohm, where is it mentioned in the book of Genesis? Can you point me to the scripture(s)?

~Sue

I agree I find it funny how often things are attributted to the bible but really come from apocryphal lore.

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

PSacramento: Satan is our opposer, our adversary

How do you know? I might read the story in such a way that Satan was somewhat idealistic and believed in humans and expected them to see the light... whereas God knew his only chance was an extensive propaganda war (c.f. some communist countries), preventing people from fully enjoying their lives while making them believe the others have it even worse. God almost won but during the last few hundred years he's been loosing his credibility since he no more has control over all information... as predicted in Eden by Satan. God (his henchmen) needed all the tens of thousands of mostly unnecessary words in the Bible to blur the simple truth and to mispresent his opponent's ideas and motivation. Why would this interpretation be less appropriate than the WT one? Maybe Jehovah (and the org) will soon admit his mistake... fat chance.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Dr.JohnStMark,

Well that is certainly one way to look at things, although we know of Satan from the OT ( minor extent) and the NT ( more so) and not from many other sources and we are certainly able to interpret what is written about him in whatever fashion we choose to, it does seem that he is not painted in the best way and since we don't really have any info other than the bible...I mean he certainly isn't a nice guy in Job is he?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit