The Final Nail in the Coffin of your JW Career

by jookbeard 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• White Dove
    White Dove

First nail: Elders behave just like Pharisees, and so does the WTS.

Last Nail: U.N. scandal. No faith can live through that one without a bit of a shake up.

• Rumspringa
    Rumspringa

Some yrs ago, I was an MS doing, lit', some sound, security, meeting parts....and raising a young family with my wife. I owned a business that employed several witnesses in our cong'.

One nite @ a meeting for elders & MS's the P.O. says..."we want the servants to do MORE in the cong". One by one he questioned us & demaned we did more.

He finally came to me, & asked "why I wasn't doing more?"

I replied..."I've got a 3 yr old with pnuemonia & whooping cough, in hospital & a 6 yr old with infectious colitis. My wife is stressed out & exhausted & I'm doing all that I can do with earning a living, keeping the house under repair & meeting duties/parts. With all this, I'm now having panic attacks & my health is declining. I'm doing ALL that I can or will do."

He looked at me & snorted. An elder behind me, grabbed my shoulder, leaned forward and said..." you've always had a rebellious nature!" I knocked his hand off, & replied, "How is taking providing & care of your family plus spending 10 + hrs a week with meetings & service rebellious? Where's the christlike love that you preach from the stage? ".....no one replied.

You could hear a pin drop.

I got up, packed my case not saying a word & left. I never went back.

The coffin was sealed. However a campaign of harrasement started. But thats another story.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Being told to just meet men. It is obvious that they wanted to exploit Jehovah's making me unappealing to the opposite sex (after promising to fix this issue), and they were not going to improve it. And, every time someone I did like at all came along, they were quick to remove it (usually within a couple of months).

One day, I looked at the situation. I realized that all I had around me was men. It was all men in the book study. It was all men in field circus. At which point, I realized that I was better off outside the cancer, whether or not it was the truth.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Brief respite followed the death of Nero, but by the latter years of the first century the second great persecution, under Emperor Domitian, flared up. It is said that in the year 95 alone some 40,000 suffered martyrdom. Like Nero, Domitian is found of demented traits. Earlier he had slain his own brother and a number of Roman senators. One of his decrees commanded the death of all of the lineage of David. In this ruler’s persecution a number of prominent Christians suffered, including, according to Blanchard in his Book of Martyrs, the Timothy to whom Paul wrote two canonical letters. Also, it was in this period that John, last living of the twelve apostles, was exiled to the isle of Patmos, from where he recorded the inspired Bible book of Revelation about A.D. 96.

OK the math. 144k annointed, and yet here 40k died. How many survived? The 144k number was filled quickly in the 1st century despite Rome.

• asilentone
    asilentone

when they insulted my intelligence.

• xcellxior
    xcellxior

I think the final nail for me was when doubts started to give way to questions. I opened up to a "friend" in the congregation who despite promising me he would keep it to himself (since I had not worked through what I was going to do about my feelings) proceeded to then tell his father (an elder). This "friend" also admited to having doubts etc.

I was hammered in a "shepherding" visit which then turned into an unofficial judicial committee the next week(three elders in kingdom hall). I defended my right to doubt and highlighted numerous areas where this was acceptable, even commendable in the Bible. I brought material concerning the blood issue (that whole white blood cells are in breast milk etc). I highlighted the fact that the UN thing was a mistake... The obviously frustrated elder said "Why do you say that?", to which I reply because the moment it went public they left. He then said "Did you ever consider that perhaps they got everything they needed and no longer needed the membership...??"

At that point I realised this elder who I had respected for many years was nothing more than a puppet, trying to defend something that was clearly wrong. He was even making points that were untrue. He couldn't grasp the hypocrisy. Not wanting to provoke the situation I just accepted this point of view respectfully... Another one of the elders told me not to be reading things on the internet, like the UN website... This was another double standard. If the UN material is good enough for the WT and Awake why isn't it good enough for me??

I wrote my letter to step down from being a MS. It was approved by the branch and an announcement made. After serving for over 5 years not one of my "friends" offered any type of token gesture like "Sorry to hear you aren't serving anymore. I enjoyed your talks. blah blah". Nothing.

The final nail was when the "friend" I had trusted and who had admitted to me had his own doubts (about WT prophecies, revelation, the flood) was made a ministerial servant a couple of months later!! The stench of hypocrisy just became overwhelming. I did attend a few meetings after that and all my "friends" were so excited to see me. They had "missed" me. B*llocks that.

X

• skin
    skin

To cut a very long story short. My first sign of a break in the protective shell of the watchtower can be summed up in this question: Why are we continually being deceived regarding what was known prior to the year 1914, about the year 1914?

• blondie
    blondie

asilentone:

when they insulted my intelligence.

Actually, in my case I would have said when I finally realized they were insulting my intelligence.

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

It started one day when my son was very small maybe about three or four. I was going door to door and I called at this door where someone confronted me about my son. How could you bring your boy here and try to manipulate his little mind. My answer at the time was..... dont worry we will be in the pool together most of the afternoon he has a great life! But then I thought about how I was manipulated and how horrible it was to be raised a JW being called " Hey Jehovah " from the start of the walk home to the finish! I thought about how my guts were in total chaos at the begining of the school year when I had to hand the teacher a note from my parents asking that I be able to stand outside the classroom during the lords prayer. I thought about all the guilt I grew up with as a young person during the " bloom of youth "and how perverted it was that anyone would be interested in whether I wacked off regularly or not.......

My son has grown and knows how much we love him, we could never do that to our kid ever, so fortunately we left before the damage was done.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

For me it was as simple as realising that it's all a bad fairytale.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit