Ever been the victim of gossip from JW's?

by highdose 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Many times. JWs live to gossip, it's their fave pastime. All those WT/Awake articles warning about "hurtful tongues" etc. used to make me laugh because I knew no one was paying any attention.

I wonder if this is true of other tight, closed groups as well or if it is something in the JW "we are superior to everyone else" mentality?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Who hasn't been

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Good answer WH *claps*

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

JWs thrive on gossip and slander. It's what they live for. It's all they have. Without it they would have no distraction from their own inadequacies. Many would probably kill themselves.

I was on the receiving end of gossip many times, but Undercover is right. You're only a victim if you allow it. I eventually stopped the problem by confronting the gossipers directly and publicly. It's a joy to see the liars squirm and cower when confronted directly.

I'm sure they continued to gossip about me, but they were a lot more careful about letting it get back to me.

Bottom line, who cares what they think? They're nothing.

W

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Heck ya! I mean duh being a JW is boring and there is nothing better for them to do then to gossip. My grandma and her good friend had a problem with that... many pineers sitting in the car out inservice gossip tons. It's so anoying! And has caused alot of problems in the halls.

• Girlie
    Girlie

Agrees with Undercover. You're only a victim if you allow yourself to be and as someone pointed out, given the empty life of a die-hard JW, it is expected.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I was on the receiving end of gossip many times, but Undercover is right. You're only a victim if you allow it. I eventually stopped the problem by confronting the gossipers directly and publicly. It's a joy to see the liars squirm and cower when confronted directly.

Totally agree. I know people talked about me...but I didn't let it GET to me. Figure, if you are talking ABOUT me - you must ENVY something in me, so that's a compliment. Besides, I am the type that will step to someone and flat out confront them about what I heard...suffice to say word never got back to me after those instances! And those particular 'sisters' were nicely put in their place.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

LOL @ The thread title! Great topic but... is the pope Catholic?!?!?! Anyone who says no was never a JW, or by some odd chance they never found out.

The RAMPANT gossip that was spread about myself and others (everyone) was one of the things that helped dislodge the death-grip that the organization had on my mind. And as is the norm, the WORST gossipers were always among the congregation "elite". It was the Elders, Elders wives, MS's, and pioneers.

I remember praying repeatedly about one Elder and his pioneer wife who were literally making up lies about me and many others. I was constantly begging Jehovah to do something about them and their abuse of their positions in the congregation. I had confronted this elder with a witness about the things he and his wife were saying about me, and he denied them of course... and continued to spread lies. So it came down to my word against his. Other Elders and people I respected who knew of the situation kept telling me to "wait on Jehovah", and be patient. "Jehovah allowes these things for a reason."

Nothing happened. He is still an Elder, and she is still a pioneer. They're the two most evil, vile, and despicable people I know. And I mean that.

Where is the so-called "bounteous love" that is supposed to be evident in the organization and make them so different? It doesn't exist. They're no different from the rest of humanity.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Never was a victim of gossip (as for as I know), but I am sure that is changing.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I don't think I'll apologize for being a victim, it got me out. And though a healthy person or emotionally stable person wouldn't let themselves be a victim, not everyone was able to realize that was even a possibility. Being raised in an abusive household where you were constantly verbally and physically abused, then marrying a verbally abusive spouse, I was told for my first thirty some years that I was pretty much lower than snail slime. The lessons in self esteem and self worth came later, as I learned that I have a right to be heard, I have talents, I am worthy as an individual. The gossiping came during some of the lowest, most vulnerable parts of my life. And I ended the marriage when I ended my tenure with the JWs. Its been a life long journey ever since to understand or try to, how to interact with others, how to find healthy relationships, etc.

Thankfully we are all survivors, one way or another.

Ada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit