Ever been the victim of gossip from JW's?

by highdose 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, I wasn't the target, but the woman I love--my mom and brother slandered her, made up stories about her based on gossip. My then girlfriend wanted to accuse my brother of slander. Now, ironically, she wonders why I have a bone to pick with him. Sure, I mostly let go of that grudge. It's just that even though he's an MS/pioneer now, he hung with the very people who did that sort of stuff and acted like it never bothered him. It's almost like he's got a theocratic license to be that way now, of course.

But that's all they do is gossip. I was quick to squash any of that kind of talk when my mom tried to involve me. "That's none of my business," I would repeatedly say, and refuse to get involved in it. This was BEFORE I woke up, mind you. I was actually trying to do what I thought the Society recommended--not run my mouth about the business of others. (Except I forgot that it was the Bible that said that, not the Society--they just came along 2,000 years later and took the credit.) (Never mind...)

SD-7

• feeling good
    feeling good

Of course, they have nothing else better to do!

• doublelife
    doublelife

Wow. I didn't realize there were so many jw gossipers. I thought it was just my congregation. I grew up in a small town cong. that consisted mainly of older, single sisters. As soon as a got baptized at 17, a new elder with his family moved in. Their daughter was a couple of years younger than me but she had everyone wrapped around her finger and made my life miserable. I genuinely tried to befriend her and that was the thanks I got. There were 3 other girls a little older than us who weren't any better. It got so bad that at one point(I was around 21), I tried to plan different ways that I could kill myself. Looking back, I don't see how I managed to stay in that religion for so long. I guess that's why it hasn't been too much of a struggle to start fading. I never considered any jw a close friend. They were only people I would hang around when I wanted to have fun. I never trusted any of them.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

It's not just the gossip that's the problem.

In the real world, if someone doesn't like you, they just stay away from you and leave you alone. There may be a little bit of gossip, but no one is out to UTTERLY DESTROY you, like the JW's do.

That's the difference.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Very much so! Our young child was molested by a much loved brother. It tore us apart and helped lead us away from all them loving(not) b/s and helped us get to the point we are today.

We can give a crap about what anyone thinks or says about us!! It feels hella good I might add

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Awww... shucks, I was the one gossiping... had nothing better to do.

ESTEE

• musky
    musky

Highdose, I am sorry to hear that you were a victim of gossip.You know the saying"sticks and stones may break my bones,but names won't ever harm me"?Nothing could be further from the truth!Whether its gossip or being called a name,it sure can hurt.Gossip is nothing more than people feeling insecure about themselves.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I was. I had a business and there was a rumor that I had said I was going to be a millionare in 5 years. Well, if I did say that, I was right if having a net worth of a million dollars is what millionare means.

I guess I got more prophesies right then the bORG has.

LD

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

As my dear Old departed dad would say, (who wasnt a jw)," if they are speaking about you, then they are leaving some other poor bastard alone".

JWs are the worst on earth when it comes to gossip and tittle tattle, and by the time the story is finished, it has no resemblence to that of the original one in the begining.

By the way, I have some juicy stuff to tell you...do you wanna know about....................?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Not so much me but my family, it would take a life time to tell, thank goodness I have now obtained selective memory to go with my selective hearing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit