What do most ex-JWs "believe" after leaving?

by EverAStudent 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Whatever they want to; which is a big change from the WTS.

• stillin9
    stillin9

As a person who is mentally out but physically in, I just believe that there is a god. That's all. Honeslty, I don't even blieve in the Bible or Jesus or ANY religion out there.

Peace out!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I have an open mind but so far science is winning out over religion....however

who knows what tomorrow may bring?

The Oracle

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I took this quiz yesterday on facebook, I thought it summed my current feelings quite well.

Lisa completed the quiz " What is your Spiritual Personality? " with the result Atheist/Agnostic . You believe that god is a concept created by man, one that cannot be proven (nor necessarily disproven) so you choose not to concern yourself with spiritual matters. You believe that people should live for the happiness of a ll in the here and now, and not because you hope for a good life after death. You are a thinker with an analytical, scientific and rational mind, and you question everything. lisa

• Thunderinus
    Thunderinus

I don't think there ever was a survey done with a meaningfully large sample but from what I gather from ex JW boards a large part become atheists and another large part join mainstream christian denominations or at least accept their beliefs but don't closely associate with them. A smaller part join non christian religions such as neo paganism, judaism, buddhism etc

I accept the basic tenets of christianity and that it is the ideal way, without being judgemental against those that do not though I enjoy having debates with them.

• brainwashed-from-birth
    brainwashed-from-birth

I am confused always... looking for ways to dispute every uncomfortable doctrine pumped down my throat 3 to 5 times a week for 18 years. When I was a JW I of course wanted it to be true. Being sheltered from the hypocracy becz my family was good at being JW's (I guess) I took it all in, accepting it ,and looking down at the "world" for not wanting to hear the true religion. Now I am in the "world". I think I really left becz of some rebellion and not wanting to be controlled. I did believe it was the true religion even when I left. I just did not seem to really care. I used to tell my Mom "I would rather die with the world..then live forever with these people." I had no friends in the congregation and felt a horrible need to escape to somewhere that seemed more normal. I have been out for 10 years now and have just been living my life day to day. I mean the "world" kind of sucks too. The word ALONE takes on a new meaning out here. I know I am depressed by being shunned by my family. I cry as I type now. But it will never change. They are hooked, and they have a support system. There are 5 of them all faithful zombies of the organization, and one of me. I could never go back now. I have pushed all that nonsense to some corner in my brain. It pops up occassionally and I put it back where it belongs. I mean when someone tells you that 1 and 1 equals 4 your whole life. You really need factual proof to make you change your thinking. Due to the fact that no one really knows what the heck God wants, or if there really is a God at all, how could I ever feel totally secure. I need to do more research for myself Im sure. That is why I am on this site. Please help me with any unduckable facts that make their doctrines fake.

• fokyc
    fokyc

It seems to me that most people who completely sever themselves from the JW's

believe that the JW's are a bunch of liars and sadly misled people.

There are many very nice but very gullible people in the org.

fokyc

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I can only speak for me....

After a period of anger and the typical "never again" thoughts, I realize that culturally, I was raised in a Judeo/Christian religious cult, in a Judeo/Christian society. Thus, I label myself culturally as a Christian for generalizing purposes. Religiously, I have no evidence to support traditional Christianity, with Jesus as god, anymore so then Islam, Buddhism, etc has such evidence.

I certainly believe that logic and reason, along with establishing ones own unique identity, is something god would want us to do.

I do not believe that organized religion is particularly healthy, both in my experience and in a review of history. However, I plainly see that this somewhat difficult to define "spiritual" side is part of most of us, and how we choose to take care of that can impact ones quality of life significantly.

I value honesty in myself and in others most of all.

Thats it!

• LightCloud
    LightCloud

I would describe myself as an agnostic at this point in my life. As for others I knew who used to be JW's most are either atheist or agnostics, it seems very rare for them to return to whatever religion they previously came from, or in the case of those that were born in it seems the JW experience kills any desire to return to another organized religion.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

LightCloud wrote: "I would describe myself as an agnostic at this point in my life. As for others I knew who used to be JW's most are either atheist or agnostics, it seems very rare for them to return to whatever religion they previously came from, or in the case of those that were born in it seems the JW experience kills any desire to return to another organized religion."

Yes, I am getting that loud and clear from everyone. It seems the WTS experience destroys trust in Scripture, God, the supernatural, and faith itself. :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit