Cooks and their ingredients. Questions.

by compound complex 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just got back from Canyon Ranch where we had lectures from chefs with lots of great tips on how to cook low-cal. You can browse their huge recipe library which also includes complete nutritional info:

http://www.canyonranch.com/Community_Connection/Recipes/

The food is great....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Some tiny tips....

When you season meat with salt, sprinkle with your hand high above the meat.....you get better coverage and you use less salt

Sear meat on medium-high heat on the stove and then transfer and bake, to get that crispiness and juiciness

Don't stir so damn much....many people stir when it is not necessary and that lowers the cooking temperature and lengthens the cooking time

It is better to bake at the same heat for everything (unless for special reasons) and so all you need to remember for different recipes is the different length of cooking time, rather than trying to remember both time and temperature for each different recipe. Most Canyon Ranch recipes are at 400 degrees.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for that link, Leo.

Those recipes are awesome!

I went directly to the breads & desserts section.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Zut, mes amis de la cuisine! It's going to take me all weekend to digest your incredible recipes. Great suggestions, too, such as sprinkling salt on meat from on high [sounds ethereal].

Additionally, I appreciate very much your time and effort in answering my questions in such detail. Thanks for food links ...

Buon appetito e grazie tante!!!

CoCo della cuchina moderna

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

One thing that I recently learned about olive oil is that there is no labeling requirement for how MUCH olive oil it contains (in the United States). If it has ANY in it, its labeled as olive oil. I read about this because there was a push in my state to require at least a certain percentage before it can be labeled as olive oil. So I don' t know where it has to originate, though I have noticed that the "Mexican" olive oil does taste different from Spain's, and I don't remember buying an Italian. But just wanted to tell you, it's buyer beware.

I love to cook. I think that cooking is one of my art forms, and herbs and spices are my palette. Knowing how spices/herbs combine with each other and with foods and then experimenting with combinations is truly fascinating. I need to jump in the shower and get to work right now so I can't give any recipes, but I'll bookmark this for later.

Great thread.

Ada

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Ada, for the helpful information regarding olive oil. I've learned so much these last few days. Glad that you, too, are a cooking enthusiast!

Best Foods and regards,

CoCo Loves Mayo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Latest buys for the cauldron, et al:

12 cans of cheap beer for tenderizing and flavoring. One for the cook, of course. Ahh ... Hamms, the beer refreshing!

1 bottle of extra virgin olive oil, first cold pressed; from Turkey [this is a first!].

Carton of buttermilk for baking soda bread. Stove top rendition, as my oven died.

Got my Lean Mean Fat Grilling Machine out of storage and set up for regular usage.

Now we're cookin' with gas!

CoCo

• nelly136
    nelly136

am still trying to get round to restrangleds chicago godzilla, two caulis down and i'll buy another tonight.

waitings the hard part, i see a bowl and a wait, meanwhile the cheese and mayonaise is waving and screaming when i open the fridge.

hopefully the urge for raw cauliflour cheese will wear off long enough to start the process.

• nelly136
    nelly136

cc, beers great for tenderising meat

alcopops work too, a pineapple breezer works quite well with pork, cider works

and coca colas sposed to be good too (tho i admit ive never tried that one)

yoghurt is a great marinade base and tenderiser too

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit