Cooks and their ingredients. Questions.

by compound complex 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• musky
    musky

I was going to suggest staying with the trusty pizza.Extra pepperonis.I see it gets a little more involved than that!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Another important thing about oil is how well it stands up to heat. When you burn oil, when you fry your dirty burger, you create a bunch of bad chemicals that the smoke detector doesn't like.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

There is a earthy tasting oil made from chili peppers that is really cool. Chinese stores carry it.

S

• compound complex
    compound complex

Great information here on oils. I appreciate your time and efforts, Beks, JD, Satanus and Musky.

Thanks everyone and sorry that I may have failed to answer all personally.

CoCo wants to whip out the cast iron ...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I love this thread!

CoCo asks:

What naturally growing flora do you gather and eat, say, like dock, miner's lettuce, etc..

Beloved CoCo, I just have to confess that my Honey and I are probably the only people on earth who grow our own Miner's Lettuce from seed (since we moved away from the lovely local where they grow wild in abundance.) We love it! I might add that they are not the only "weed" we seed purposefully in our garden!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

extra virgin olive oil - cold pressed (is the best)

Doesn't have to come from italy either.

• deep-blue-sea
    deep-blue-sea

Hi, very interesting thoughts about COOKING...which is my passion. My yesterday's lessons with 16 adults was great!

I'm interested in whatever is gastronomy, food from all over the world, and love to prepare international dishes for my 'critic' husband!

My son and daughters have inherited my love and pleasure for cooking and they also do very well.

Talking about olive oil I would say that is really difficult to stand for a particular one spanish, tunisian, greek or italian! They all grow on different soil with different influences of wind, sea, location like hills or countryside...so it depends from each one's taste. I have, once participate to a session of extra virgin olive oil taste-test. We had in front of us at least 20 different olive oil of various origin: ALL so different from one another..unbelievable.

Agree with LouBelle (good cooker toooooo), and with DJK about the creativity in cooking.

Wantarevolution: LOVEEEE the Puttanesca....wonderful with linguini instead of spaghetti!!! Have you ever tasted Spaghetti with gorgonzola cheese sauce? Or a Walnuts pesto???????

Regards, Claudia

• Mary
    Mary
    how do you dress up mac and cheese? [all right, somebody gave me these here boxes of gluey elbows]

Here's an excellent recipe I use for mac and cheese. It's actually a bit healthier for you as it's used with whole wheat elbow noodles (you can't taste the difference) and tastes fantastic:

Mac and Cheese Recipe

• 1 tbsp butter
    • 1/2 cup of minced onions
    • 7 strips of turkey bacon, chopped
    • 1 cup finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
    • 1/2 cup frozen sweet green peas (optional....I've tried it with it and it tastes good, but you can substitute a small can of chopped tomatoes instead)
    • 1 can (14 oz/380 mL) 2% evaporated milk
    • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
    • 1 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese
    • 1 cup packed shredded 4-cheese blend
    • Freshly ground black pepper and some kosher salt
    • 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
    • either fresh or dried parsley to taste
    • 2 cup uncooked whole wheat macaroni
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. You need a deep, 10-inch, oven-safe non-stick skillet. Melt butter in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and chopped bacon. .
    2. Cook slowly, stirring often, until bacon is lightly browned and onions are golden. This will take a good 10 minutes. (You may want to get the macaroni cooking at this time.)
    3. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until tender. Stir in peas or tomatoes until heated through
    4. Preheat broiler. In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, flour and dry mustard. Add to bacon and veggies in skillet. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and has thickened.
    5. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 of the cheddar and 3/4 of the 4-cheese blend. Stir until cheeses are melted. Add pepper. Add well-drained macaroni and mix until well-coated with sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheddar and remaining 4-cheese blend over top.
    6. Place skillet under broiler until cheeses are melted and lightly browned.
  • deep-blue-sea
    deep-blue-sea

Hi Babayaga, I also love gardening and plant in my vegetable gardens, at the moment, at he doors of winter, withe temperature not far from freezing point I still have lettuce: various sorts, spinach, chicory, parsley, basil and sage which I use a lot in teh kitchen. All other vegetables like tomatos, zucchini, curly endives, and so on when there is an overproduction I keep them in the freezer for use during winter.

LouBelle..I agree with you: extra virgin olive oil - cold pressed (is the best)

Regards, Claudia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Fellow Cookers:

Thanks so much for new entries re: cooking class, Mac 'n Cheese, Olive Oil, Miner's Lettuce, etc.

Off to work now, but I shall return with my new cook's apron on [honest! - a gift].

Love,

CoCo's a Cookin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit