Cooks and their ingredients. Questions.

by compound complex 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• compound complex
    compound complex

Well, Goshawk, some cook's cuisine is a scandal and should be covered up.

I'm overwhelmed by all the wonderful ideas here, folks! It'll take some time to cut through the lard and get to the pork of the matter. Excellent stuff!

Many, many thanks! Mac and cheese and me'll never be the same!

CoCo della Cucina Vecchia

• beksbks
    beksbks

Dearest CoCo. I am conflicted at the moment, and so have not read all previous posts. Forgive any repetition.

As for Mac and Cheese, I think the key is adding cheese to the top and baking, everything else is just gravy. Figuratively of course.

As for oil. Olive oil must NOT get too hot. I've read many a comment that says use it after cooking is done for flavor and health. Ohh California has Olive Oil, and I think it's wonderful. Try Sciabica's. You might find them at your local farmers market, and get to sample the varieties. I agree with Outlaw on Canola Oil. It also changes when heated, and becomes not the healthy oil it has been touted. Grape seed Oil is wonderful stuff. Healthy, takes high heat, is flavorless, and rather "thin". Your local Trader Joe's will probably have the best price, it can be expensive.

As for pricey shopping, I say there are some things you want to spend on, and others that just as good cheap. I prefer fresh veggies in season, but my understanding is that frozen is equally healthful, sometimes more so. Travel time, field to store, etc. Currently I have a lovely fresh herb collection in pots. I am hoping for a full garden next year.

IMHO, onions, garlic, spices, herbs, and love can transform any ingredients into a feast.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Why is olive oil touted as being healthy? When I look at the nutrition facts between it and corn oil, I can't discern an appreciable difference.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Here is their site. I've been seeing this guy at the farmers market in central Calif, for 25 years. It's amazing how fresh and yummie this stuff is. I think it may be worth the price.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Tell me those facts Doe, and I will tell you

• beksbks
    beksbks

So current thinking is that Saturated fat is the enemy. Polyunsaturated fat decreases both good and bad cholesterol. Monounsaturated fat increases good and decreases bad cholesterol. Check that, I can't be trusted, but that is my memory.

PMUS
    Olive9%77%86%14%
    Canola36%58%94%6%
    Peanut34%48%82%18%
    Corn62%25%87%13%
    Soybean61%24%85%15%
    Sunflower77%14%91%9%
    Safflower77%14%91%9%
    Palm10%39%49%51%
    Coconut5%9%14%86%

P=Polyunsaturated, M=Monounsaturated, U=Total Unsaturated, S=Saturated

• John Doe
    John Doe

Here you go.

• beksbks
    beksbks

But they are not listing the beneficial Monounsaturated fat. That is the key. All fats will be comparable in calories, and vegetabel oils (other than Palm) will be comparable in Sat Fat.

• John Doe
    John Doe

They are listing that olive oil has double the saturated fat of corn oil. I'm not buying the hype.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Buy it love

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit