How do you release the grudge?

by brainwashed-from-birth 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Satanus
    Satanus

I understand the anger, the hopelessness and feeling lost. As jws, we were used to being told almost everything to do, to think, to feel. Plus, to future paradise hope. Now, all that is gone. You have to decide everything for yourself. It's a burden, but it's also freedom, freedom that the wt took away.

You need to deprogram all wt/bible beliefs that are not true. You also need to talk things out. That helps release the anger. Like they said, it takes time, a yr, 2 yrs, or 10. If you can get to see a good therapist, it helps, too. Being on this site will help, too. It's best to go straight through things, instead of dodging or burying them. You get more peace, afterwards.

S

• rebel8
    rebel8

I talked about anger and grief extensively in my book and free downloads.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Because my wife and several members of my family are still firmly IN!

There is no way I can:

'release the grudge'

I just hate the elders, the KH and the whole b***** organisation.

A load of hypocritical liars.

fokyc

• brainwashed-from-birth
    brainwashed-from-birth

thank you everyone that posted suggestions. After reading some of your responses I realize I really do still subconsciencely believe the JW crap. I am going to start posting questions on here everytime I feel myself going back to teaching from my childhood. I assumbed everyone on here still had serious hangups on what they had been taught, but some of you seem so at peace. I want to be too.

Stephen I really want to thank you for the scriptures you included. I admire your ablility to study the bible so closely even after being subjected to JW teachings. I mean I am sure throughout my lifetime I have heard every scripture like 1000 times and had it applied 1000 times to the way they wanted me to believe. I hope I can find that strength some day.

• Thunderinus
    Thunderinus

Hi Brainwashed From Birth, I believe your problems which are common to most ex JWs can quite easily be resolved by you having plenty of contact with other ex JWs or ex JW groups you can find through forums like this. Real life communication is the best but internet communication through email, chat or Skype is also very helpful. There will be many people who will be glad to help you if you get in touch with them, it's a shame you had to spend 10 years with jw hang ups when these could have been cleared away long ago. But you are now on the right tracks by opening up and seeking to contact other people.

My research showed that the JWs are not at all the true religion which would appear at the end of times, that is still to happen in the future, we don't know when and in what form but it will certainly be absolutely nothing like the cruel JW organisation and will very likely be one with a lot of authority over the world. In other words the world continues much as it ever did without a genuine christian entity in existence the JWs being nothing but opportunistic impostors pretending to be something they are not in order to deceive and profit through deception at the expense of potential victims. And it will continue like this until the times of the nations come to an end whenever that will be.

You need to transcend the JWs they are not genuine and never have been, the end is not near for all we know and if even it were the JWs are useless as a means of salvation from anything as all their ideology is false. They have no position in any divine scheme for the present or the future no matter what they claim to have. The point is do not take them seriously do not take at heart what they believe and they will cease to have any compelling power over your mind including that fear of armageddon that oppresses so many JWs and ex JWs.

Eventually you should be able to have an unencumbered social and work life, that is the objective.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Hugs to you (((BFB)))

I see a lot of good advice on this thread.

I, too, was brainwashed from birth.

And, more importantly, my last meeting was in 2000.

It's been a long road, but a progressive one. Looking back, I feel like I have done a lot of good healing along the way.

One of the first things I learned is that Anger is a normal response to an abnormal situation. Don't beat yourself up when you feel angry. There are healthy ways of dealing with anger.

My suggestion is to be patient with yourself. It is not selfish to love yourself and take care of yourself. Unfortunately, the dubs (parents/elders/borg members) conditioned us to believe that we are to put ourselves last. However, I learned through therapy (many, many years of it) that if I take care of myself by filling my own cup first, then I would have something to share with others---out of the overflow. I didn't understand when I first heard that, because it was so foreign to what I had been taught.

Conversely, if I try to help others and my own cup is empty, how effective could I be?

Now I understand what that means.

It means I could choose to learn a new way of believing...in myself...to love and take care of myself. Exercise my free will and choose. If I didn't learn to take care of myself, no one would do it for me. It was my responsibility to provide, care for and love myself first, then I could be open to receive a healthy kind of love from others---because I could also give a healthy kind of love to another. The kind of love I talk about is an unconditional kind of love. The kind of love the jws teach is conditional love. Their teaching is, "In order to be loved, you should do this, and you must do that. Or you risk being destroyed at Armageddon." Conditions. Fear---Those are not love because they are based on fear. The scriptures say, "Perfect love throws fear outside."

In therapy, I learned that I had all the tools I needed to be a healthy and happy person...within myself. I chose to stop looking outside of myself for answers. Because I had been taught that I could not live without my religion. I was co-dependent with the religion. That was not healthy. We are created to stand up on our own two feet and stop leaning on others (e.g., parents or religion). Doesn't nature teach us that baby birds grow up and leave the nest? Or baby animals grow up and leave the den? Why are people taught that they must be co-dependent with a religion?

There is soooo much a person could say on this subject.

But, for now, if you can walk away from this thread with one tidbit of new information to think about, it will help you on your new path to freedom. Trust in yourself and in this new journey you find yourself on. There is healing after leaving a cult.

The brainwash says, there is no healing after leaving. But I know that is just a lie. The cult has set us up to believe that lie. I chose to replace that lie with a new truth, "There is healing after leaving a cult."

A much happier life awaits you, BFB. I believe you too, have all the tools to heal from that crazy religion.

I see lots of good healing on this forum.

*hugs*

ESTEE

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Estee said:

If I didn't learn to take care of myself, no one would do it for me. It was my responsibility to provide, care for and love myself first, then I could be open to receive a healthy kind of love from others---because I could also give a healthy kind of love to another. The kind of love I talk about is an unconditional kind of love. The kind of love the jws teach is conditional love. Their teaching is, "In order to be loved, you should do this, and you must do that. Or you risk being destroyed at Armageddon." Conditions. Fear---Those are not love because they are based on fear. The scriptures say, "Perfect love throws fear outside."

Just thought that needed an instant replay. Well said, Estee!

• freydo
    freydo

It's kind of like belonging on/to the Island of Misfit Toys, isn't it. Speaking the truth, though, always helps, especially when encountering an active jw, or coming to a place such as this. When they knock on your door, invite them in. And be nice. String them along. It'll be like pouring hot coals on their heads when they finally figure out who they're talking to.

• Quandry
    Quandry

It does take time. It is hard to realize that things will ease, and of course even harder when your family shuns you. Please allow yourself the time.

Get involved with volunteer groups that will take your mind off the pain, and also help someone else. Or maybe a hobby you've always wanted to pursue. Your education? NEVER TOO LATE!

In the meantime, please come here to vent. We understand.

• freydo
    freydo

Understand that you have followed a false prophet. Not that much of what they said was untrue.

The adversary is very adept at quoting Scripture. But now you're stuck.

You have knowledge and nowhere to go with it.

Like all dressed up and nowhere to go.

The choices are here, some reformed jw group, church or nothing, or worse.

Or you could retrace the steps, when the yellow brick road parted in 1916.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit