How do you know the Bible is from God?

by cognac 77 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

I really want to believe it, but, sometimes it is very difficult to figure out how it can be from God. I mean, in the old testament, he seems horrible in some instances. The Adam and Eve thing doesn't make to much sense to me. I mean, I would figure that if there was a God, him and Satan would have to be at about equal strength and Satan owns the earth while God owns the heaven, because I can't figure out another way to justify him letting all this suffering take place.

Then, why does he make everything so difficult to figure out in the Bible? I mean, really... To FURTHER test us? Why? Why can't he just state how it is and then let us decide whether or not to go with him? I mean, I know he wants us to be faithful unconditionally, but why torture us trying to figure out what the heck happens to us after death, what he wants from us, etc?

I just don't get it... I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out and everytime I think I've figured one thing out in the Bible, 100 more questions pop up...

What are your thoughts about how to justify the bible is from God?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Cogn,

What are your thoughts about how to justify the bible is from God?

Just stop trying to justify it and except the truth that it is not from god but men who used their ideas about god to manipulate their masses and keep themselve in power.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Part of the problem you are having is most likely coming from confusion caused by the protestant 'sola scriptura' mindset.

The Bible is not one complete book. Instead, it is a specific collection of books that may or may not share the same point of view.

Rather than trying to find the "theme of the Bible" (whatever that may be!) your better served spending time with each book, considering what its audience was, the point of view contained within, etc.

I would also suggest you get yourself familiar with current biblical scholarship. This book is a great introduction to the New Testament:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Testament-Historical-Introduction-Christian/dp/0195154622

• cognac
    cognac

Thanks for your comments. Drew, if that is the case, how do we know which books are from God and which are not? Will that link go into that?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Drew, if that is the case, how do we know which books are from God and which are not? Will that link go into that?

The link provided (which goes to Bart Ehrmans intoductory text on the historical New Testament) discusses the complexity of discovering the "real bible". The book does a great job at giving the reader a better idea of what is going on in the world of New Testament scholarship. For instance, it introduces the readers to good bit of evidence that throws doubt on the traditional opinions of authorship for some NT books (especially Hebrews, as well as 1 Timothy, and more).

Taking the time to learn more about the context of the bible certainly creates a more nuanced view of the texts. I think the important thing to realize is that there are two components to "the Bible". There is the text (which can sometimes be disputable due to variations in manuscripts), but also there is the stuff that people (i.e. you, me, and everybody else) puts on top of that text. This includes ideas like "the bible is a letter from god to his children", or "the Bible tells a story about life from beginning to end". The Witnesses, for example, love to talk about how the "theme of the Bible is Gods restoration of Paradise".

Where do these things come from? From the text itself? No. You cannot explicitly find these things inside the text itself. Rather, people read these things into the text. Getting away from this mindset is liberating, regardless of whether or not you eventually decide to be a christian (or jew, or whatever else!)

• cognac
    cognac

Hmmm, interesting Drew. I will check it out. But, the bible does say that it is inspired from God. So, if it was inspired, why does it not make sense in so many instances? Maybe that book will help give me some clarity. Thanks for the link Drew!

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

How do we know the bible is from God?

Duh... because it says it is silly.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

You bring up an excellent example:

2 Timothy 3:16 (New American Standard Bible) 16 ( A ) All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

Define what the authory of 2 Timothy means by "scripture". Does this include his own book? Does it include other NT books that may have not yet been written?

These are important questions. The Watchtower typcially applies this passage very broadly (others do too), yet it is clear that to apply this verse to a collection of books organized centuries after the passage was written may not reflect the authors original intent.

For some further clairification, Ehrmans book is an introduction to NT scholarship. It is not a religious text. It does not discuss what to "beleive". It is actually structured for use in an academic setting. That said, I've read it and think it is a great intro.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Just wanted to add:

Regarding belief in god, this has to be my all time favorite thread on this board....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/123482/1/Maybe-Theres-a-Heaven

• cognac
    cognac

Thanks so much Drew! I'm going to read up on all the info.

Tues - lol, hopefully it's a bit more then that...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit