Those Whose Faith is in the Bible as the Word of God..

by AGuest 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

I have been directed by the Holy Spirit to bring something to your attention and ask you with regard to it:

Matthew 17:1-13 gives an account of the transfiguration of my Lord, when he was seen with Elijah and Moses... which was witnessed by Peter, James, and John. Luke 9:28-36 gives an account of the same event. If the Bible contains no error, and if Matthew and Lukes accounts are "scripture"... which means the writers were "borne along by the Holy Spirit" when they wrote... why, then, does Matthew's account occur "6 days" ... and Luke's account occur "about 8 days"... after Christ's statement that some of those standing with him at the time would "not taste death at all until they first [saw] the Son of Man coming in his kingdom?"

I am to ask you: IF the Holy Spirit guided and directed BOTH men, if BOTH men were indeed "borne along" by that SAME Spirit... how is it that they did not state the SAME period of time. Did not the SAME Holy Spirit know EXACTLY how many days passed between the two occurences? Why would the SAME Spirit give one man one time frame... and another a different time frame. Isn't such an indication of either uncertainty... or indecisiveness... on the part of the Spirit? If so... HOW CAN THAT BE? If not... how do YOU explain the difference... in light of YOUR belief that there is only ONE Holy Spirit... which Spirit is part of ONE God... which God also includes the Christ.

I am to await your response... and I am to ask that you give your OWN response... one from YOUR heart... and not a cut and paste from some "theological" dissertation... or "scholarly" publication... if you can.

I am also to bid you peace... which I certainly do.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Memory and perspective..... example- you and I go to see the same movie on the same day at the same time.... we are "moved" to write about what we saw that day, only 30+ years later.... you remember the date exactly, but i wrote a different day close to the right date as dates are less important to my "view" of what we saw.... I remember all of the minor details about the movie and write those, while you simply stated the major events of the movie and left out the minor details that are less important to your "view" of what we both saw......

On the surface it may appear to be two seperate stories that have similarities.... but they are the stories of the same event that were written by different writters, long after the event took place...... we all see through our own eyes- I am not you and you are not me, we may see the same thing differently and remember differently, even if we are moved to write for the same reason.......

The movie we were "moved" to write about, would read very differently, if we told or asked others to write the story for us after verbaly exchanging the information with them about the events.............. even more so if the language had to be translated at the same time.

Lillith

On a personal note- great topic/thread/question SA, you really get me thinking, thank you

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Since I left the cult I have been having trouble with Genesis 1:1

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

1 Six days later Jesus took Peter and James and John his brother along and brought them up into a lofty mountain by themselves.

28 In actual fact, about eight days after these words, he took Peter and John and James along and climbed up into the mountain to pray.

If you notice, there is a difference in the words written. What does it mean when it reads: "eight days after these words" ? Which words are they referring to? When you answer that then we can continue...........

t.f.d.s.

• sspo
    sspo

Be patient and wait on Jehovah or holy spirit to reveal it to you! He's not slow respecting his promise.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

4 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and continually follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it; but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it. 26 For what benefit will it be to a man if he gains the whole world but forfeits his soul? or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of man is destined to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will recompense each one according to his behavior. 28 Truly I say to YOU that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.”

23 Then he went on to say to all: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake day after day and follow me continually. 24 For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it; but whoever loses his soul for my sake is the one that will save it. 25 Really, what does a man benefit himself if he gains the whole world but loses his own self or suffers damage? 26 For whoever becomes ashamed of me and of my words, the Son of man will be ashamed of this one when he arrives in his glory and that of the Father and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell YOU truthfully, There are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the kingdom of God.”

Same accounts with similarities and subtle variances. What meaning do you derive from the scripture? Semantics can cause divisions, so bring together what you read from the scriptures in order to grasp the meaning. Does the bible foretell the future? Yes it does..........who else can do this with such accuracy?

t.f.d.s.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Goes to show that imperfect man is the author of the bible.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

No need to fear the idiosyncratic deity revealed in it's(bible) pages for it is not real. but the product of human imagination designed to control the masses, using fear to keep them captive and subjugated to the king, the priests, and bishops. Thus insuring their place of power and control. It is obviously heavily biased by these motives and has kept many in servitude through the fear of death caused by either the imaginary deity or his worshippers which includes rulers and peasants.

It is a book that justifies genocide, rape, and pillaging against non worshippers, and whose writings are often most racist, nationalistic and prejudical by today's standards.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Temporal Lobe epilepsy may be a big factor behind many of the visions recorded in the bible, and shear dishonesty, born from indoctrination from ones youth into a certain mythology.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/182947/1/Got-God-God-on-the-Brain#3417908

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

Temporal Lobe epilepsy may be a big factor behind many of the visions recorded in the bible, and shear dishonesty, born from indoctrination from ones youth into a certain mythology.

Hmmmm, I think I will believe you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit