Does the Watchtower KNOW they are using mind control techniques?

by finding my way 33 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Does a cobra know that it is using a neuro-toxin to kill you?

Does it matter?

I suppose the question tries to answer just how evil they are - intentionally evil, or serendipitously evil.

I suggest they know what they are doing, in that "these techniques keep the faithful in line". Certainly they touch on the issue with the whole "spiritual warfare" doctrine where it's ok to lie (when they tell you it's ok lie). That bit is completely self-aware.

Since they explicitly say that a person's "character" is irrelevent but that "unity" is paramount, they are at least aware they are crushing the human spirit (which they may believe is Satanic influence) in the name of "purity".

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Just read, "Crisis of Conscience" by Fred Franz. Of course they know what they are doing!!!!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Questions (Not) From Readers is the most blatant display that shows they know exactly what they are doing. How many times have they dropped a big change into one of these articles?

COC also showed that the decisions the governing body made were in response to financial and political reasons. The reasons they gave for the changes were outright lies. Things like the donation only arrangement, not becoming a religion in Mexico so they could own property, the Mexico/Malawi incident, etc.

So they have shown that they will outright LIE about things. If someone wants to talk openly about these things, they disfellowship them to silence them.

The constant droning on at the meetings and the repetition does have an effect on the mind. It is often when someone gets away from these meetings because of sickness or work that they begin to wake up.

So they have to know they are lying and deceiving people and controlling them through coercive measures.

• finding my way
    finding my way

Interesting. I have read that book and can see that that does mean that al least some of the GB must know what they are doing.

Still curious about the Watchtower writers themselves. I picture them with a guide to what they are supposed to be writing or something. How do they come up with these arcticles they write and do they just happen to be repetitive because they try to fit one point into a drawn out article, or does the actual writer know that he is trying to "hypnotize" his audience. Same with the person who writes the talks for conventions and such.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Of course they don't do it by accident, but they don't believe it's wrong or a bad thing either, and they call it by different names, such as "the discipline and mental regulating of Jehovah", "having the mind of Christ", "putting on the new personality" and so on.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I heard a talk tonight from the Circuit Overseer all about how we need to "persuade" people in the world by "making their mind over". He brought a piece of wood onto the platform and said people in the world are like chunks of wood and it is our job to "shape" them into Jehovah's Witnesses through our preaching. You only say wacky stuff like that if you really believe it I suppose.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Divine Command Theory -- If Jehovah says 'Mind Control' is great, then Mind Control is just, pure, righteous, loving and correct. It becomes the only acceptable way to control Christians, per God's instructions.

I've had JW apologists admit to me that the New Testament prescribes Mind Control.

That conversation goes something like this, in case you haven't had one with a JW apologist.

Apostate: "Here are Robert J. Lifton's eight criteria for thought reform, often referred to as 'mind control' by some psychologists."

JW Apologist: "Well, that may be true, but this is what the Bible says to do."

If you take mindset to the logical (if absurd) conclusion, the apologist must admit that he will do ANYTHING the WT magazine instructs him to do. (Otherwise, Jesus will slit his throat.)

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

FMW, Barbara Anderson (andersoninfo) was in the Writing Dept and she used to post here. Not sure if she still posts but you can still look her up . You can also google Jay Hess ( I think he has something posted on MM Outreach) and Bill Cetnar. Bill was in the Service Dept but he used to answer the letters that came in. He died a few years ago but his wife, Joan, still carries on his work. I'm know there are more but I can't think of their names at the moment.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am sure they know what they are doing because the controlling langauge is reinforced by punitive behaviours designed to outcast those who can not be controlled.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Hmmm.... interesting question. It would be hard to believe that the GB are not somewhat conscious of the pressure they put on members to stay - namely guilt and fear.

But I honestly don't believe the vast majority of the rank and file even know or understand that they participate in cultic behavior. Love bombing is always used on the new ones. Hell, I even did it - I thought I was doing the right thing with showering them with attention. Doing return visits on the same person, a zillion times, even when their hiding behind the curtains in their own house - yeah, those are high pressure cult tactics. But I dont think the average publisher even realizes it. They're just trying to get those hours in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit