Does the Watchtower KNOW they are using mind control techniques?

by finding my way 33 Replies latest jw friends

• finding my way
    finding my way

I've read a few other threads about cult mind control as well as Steven Hassans Book Comabatting Cult Mind Control. I also read a thread questioning the WAtchtowers motives. Are they in it for the money or what? The general response on that one was that they genuinely believe what they write.

So the writers believe it and yet knowingly use mind control techniques to get us to believe it as well? Or does it just happen on accident? The repitition (hypnotic effect) the loaded language, shunning, etc. etc.? Are they AWARE they are trying to control their group?

~fmy

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

I'm sure somebody the the Watchtower Development Department knows what they're doing. Their systems of mind control are to good to be accidental. They own the pure definition of cult mind control.

• wobble
    wobble

I either started a thread , or commented on another thread that I DO NOT BELIEVE they do it by accident.

I think it may have evolved from Rutherfords time particularly, although you can see bits of it in Chuck Russells stuff, I think they may have unconsciously adopted terminology that worked as far as assuring fear and therefore loyalty.

That was in the early days, now they KNOW what they are doing, and are locked in to continuing because the bleed of those leaving can only be staunched by the mind-control of the remaining zombies.

It is too overt and blatant now to be either accidental or un-conscious.

Love

Wobble

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

They know what they are using, but wouldn't dare call it 'mind control'. Rather, they call it "Jehovah's Way".

It is all about tradition. The goofy men that created this religion years ago created traditions, and now people willingly fight to maintain them. To accept that the traditions are bad means to accept that "gods organization" has been wrong for decades. Rather than admit the obvious, they flop around in their denial and support the abusive policies.

Blood, information control, 1914, disfellowshipping, dissassociation, the other sheep; all are traditions that must be maintained. They are deemed to be 'right' because they have always been used by the org, not because they are actually acceptable.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

For the most part, I believe that the elders and congregation members are just . But I have a hard time believing that some in the upper echelon of the Society don't know that they are deceiving people. The fact that they omit certain scriptures or books of the bible from their WT articles and their frequent use of "..." makes me believe that there's some blatant deception going on. Since the writing dept. does so much research, it's no coincidence that so many former members of the writing dept have left the WT. You really have to wonder about the GB and the writers that remain.

• cognac
    cognac

It's interesting to me how they stated excommunication in 1947 was not only unscriptural, but also Pagan. One of the scriptures used was in 1 Cor. 5.

Then, a few years later they not only start excommunicating, but they take it to the extreme...

That alone makes me think they know what they are doing...

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

They just do what works.

• finding my way
    finding my way

they stated excommunication in 1947 was not only unscriptural, but also Pagan

Interesting Cognac. I wasn't aware of that. I may have read it when I was initially educating myself but I was on info. overload and not all of it stuck. Where was that written so I can find it?

~fmy

• finding my way
    finding my way

p.s. It would be interesting to hear what some ex bethelites in the writing department have to say. I'm fairly new here, does anyone know of any on here we could flag over here?

~fmy

• finding my way
    finding my way

how many times can I type "hear" or "hear" in one little post?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit