chickpea

i signed all the paperwork for
    my only minor child to get the
    vaccination at school, but i told
    him it is his decision (he is 16)

not sure what i am going to do

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I got the H1N1 shot today. We had two patients test positive for it last week, so............

I'm not planning to get the regular flu shot.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Yeah, Palmtree67, I can see where you're coming from. Sorry to Spook for trampling on your past thread...I never saw it. Just checked it out though, interesting stuff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Over here in Toronto a teenager that palyed hockey died from H1N1 in a question of a few days, it has mede me re-think if my family should get the shot...

Gonna have to speak to my doc.

• Scully
    Scully

John Doe:

As for swine flu, if you haven't gotten the shot yet, it is probably too late. Either you were exposed to it and didn't get sick, or you already got sick. And, it is a complete waste of time and money to get a swine flu after you got the swine flu. It is not likely you have regular flu this time, because it is out of season for that. Unless you are at high risk, and feel the benefit of a shot is real and worth the cost, I don't recommend getting it.

Hardly an ounce of truth in this paragraph. It takes two weeks after getting the shot for your body to build antibodies. The flu season runs from October through March, and is most defintitely not "out of season."

Keep in mind, though, that folks in the southern hemisphere (Australia, for instance) had their visitation of H1N1 during their fall / winter season, which corresponds to spring / summer in the northern hemisphere. We see our "flu season" about 6 months after the rest of the world does. On the off chance that a resident of the southern hemisphere was not exposed, it's still a good idea to get the vaccination.

The interesting thing to me about this generation of H1N1, is that it is a "reassortment virus", a mutation containing genes from avian sources, porcine sources and human sources, which is why referring to this strain as "swine flu" is a misnomer.

In Canada, there are 55 million doses of the vaccine (for our population of 36.5 million), plus a purchase of attenuated vaccine was made to offer to pregnant women and people who have egg allergies or previous reactions to adjuvanted vaccines. There is plenty to go around.

High risk groups include:

• children < 5 years old, especially children < 2 years old (family members should also be vaccinated)
    • pregnant women in the second and third trimester, plus women 4 weeks postpartum
    • teenagers and adolescents
    • front line health care workers
    • people with chronic health issues (asthma, diabetes, obesity, immune compromise, etc)

Low risk groups:

• healthy elderly individuals - they have been exposed in previous visitations of the H1N1 virus
    • people born before 1957 who are healthy

I admit that I had my misgivings about getting the vaccine initially. Seasonal flu shots and this H1N1 vaccine are the only DRUGS produced that do not have to meet the same standards for clinical trials and proving themselves safe for use as other drugs. I disagree with that practice at the core of my being. I was very reassured about the vaccine's safety and efficacy after a discussion with our Infectious Diseases educator and a representative from the Public Health Agency of Canada (www.fightflu.ca). I got my shot today.

• Scully
    Scully

Question:

Am I the only person concerned that some messed up terrorist group could weaponize one of these nasty flu viruses?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Am I the only person concerned that some messed up terrorist group could weaponize one of these nasty flu viruses?

The JWs already have. They get sick, go to meetings to share it with one another, and then spread it in the territory when out in service. Their hope is that this will make their prophesy of "pestilences" come true.

W

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This guy is a quack; is listed on Quackwatch.com to boot.

Vitamin D does not prevent infection from a virus, morons; if you didn't get sick it does not mean vitamin D protected you.

Jesus, read a science book.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

1. The statistics on the regular flu shot show that it helps prevent deaths in the most affected groups; how is that quackery??

2. H1N1 is NOT the regular flu; it has the capability, not realized yet and maybe will not, to be as deadly as the Spanish flu because of its genetic makeup.

The whole idea behind vaccination is to prevent deaths, yes, in the first wave but also to reduce the morbidity in the first wave in the hopes of limiting the mutation of a more virulent strainn in the inevitable 2nd and 3rd waves; there is a very good white paper on the major HN outbreaks in the last 150 years, highly recommended.

The white paper has facts, backed up by statistics;this is a concept Dr Mercola does not even understand. He does understand that people just love conspiracy theories, and taps into it.

When they are available, PLEASE get the H1N1 shot for the sake of the general population and your own health. A hospital administrator, 53, just died last week from it. He was not in the high risk group, did not get the vaccination.

• Awen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit