What do you make of the Alpha Course?

by boyzone 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen, JeffT, and may His holy name be blessed forever and ever.

Sylvia

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In answer to your question, I firmly believe that J W's calling on you at that moment was a co incidence. I read a thread once where somebody had worked out that given the number of calls made daily, the number on Not-at-homes to be discounted, the likelihood of being called when you want to be, is not really all that great.

After all I an sure that God did not send them, and Satan is a non candidate in my book , so only the third option remains.

I have never taken an Alpha Course you will have to judge for yourself..Personally I think the minister was fudging his answer because he likes to teach that 'every thing happens for a reason'

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    And do you think there's a 4th option to my question I haven't thought of?

Is it possible that some of it was your fault? The Bible says to test all things, be sure of all things. Did you do that with the JWs before you ran into their arms? I'm not so certain that demonic forces can't read our thoughts. Can they read your heart? Why not? Is there any scripture that addresses the ability of Satan to know what is in someone's mind? How can demons enter someone yet not hear their prayers? Don't underestimate the forces that lie behind the JWs.

Why didn't he protect me from a cult?

You are responsible for making correct choices. JW wannabes are obligated to learn BEFORE they fall in whether the Society is telling the truth, not after. Most want in because they want in, not because of logic.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I had started reading parts of the new testament when JWs knocked and I clearly remember thinking I wish someone would explain this to me (lol a bit like the eithopian eunuch). But the way I see it, sooner or later I'd have picked up a bible and sooner or later JWs would have knocked. The relationship between the two would have stood out to me even if there was no relationship.

This also reminds me of my experience with a plumber.

I found him in a local paper and after he'd fixed a leak he said "do you realise your pipes are made from different metals and your drinking water is slowly being poisoned. As you have children I'd advise you to install copper pipes and get rid of the old ones". I did not have the money to take up his offer. My children were small and fell ill quite a lot. I naturally connected this with the condition of my pipes and was very glad that he'd provided me with a reason for their many illnesses.

About a year later I heard that this plumber made a nice living out of telling this story.

But I hope I don't sound pessimistic or belittling because that is not my intention as I do believe that there are lots of opportunites waiting to happen and whatever does happen can lead to something rewarding.

edit: re alpha courses - I almost attended one last year but didn't in the end.

• besty
    besty

The only rational answer is 3.

The other possibilities engage the concept of imaginary sky enemies acting out a mini-drama with your life as their shared puppet.

I suggest, instead of the Alpha Course, a quick read through the Ground Zero of basic critical thinking:

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Believe-Everything-You-Think/dp/1591024080/ref=pd_sim_b_12

· We prefer stories to statistics.
    · We seek to confirm, not to question, our ideas.
    · We rarely appreciate the role of chance and coincidence in shaping events.
    · We sometimes misperceive the world around us.
    · We tend to oversimplify our thinking.
    · Our memories are often inaccurate.

$8 will get you the rest of the book, and maybe help get your life back from the malovelent sky people

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Contrary to some of the posters beliefs here, I do not believe this is a 'deep' question. The answer is very clear.

A co-incidence. The probability is very low of being called on not long after you've prayed, as BluesBrother said. NO WAY would a loving God who hears prayers let you go through what you have been through, in fact not just let you go through it but actually hand to you on a plate!!!! That would be a very perverted God indeed.

I too have done the Alpha Course - right after I left the JWs - I was traumatised, vulnerable and desperate not to lose my faith and here again was a nice 'instant' community that welcomed me with open arms - provided me with a gourmet meal and great company (for free) every week - who wouldn't be interested in that?? In my emotional state I mistook 'spooky coincidences' for the hand of God/Jesus in my life: wind down the chimney during group prayer, the Frey's song "I know how to save a life" coming on the radio as soon as I got in my car after a session, etc, etc.

In time, I realised it had all been for nothing - not a waste of time, as it's all part of my story/experience and I met some great people but now I see no real evidence out there for God. I would love to be proved wrong and am waiting for God to reveal himself (but I think I'll be waiting a long time).

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    I see no real evidence out there for God. I would love to be proved wrong and am waiting for God to reveal himself (but I think I'll be waiting a long time).

Oh, for crying out loud. Not you, too? What is it with you exJws? You go from one dangerous extreme to the other. You're better off as a JW. By the time He does reveal himself it might be too late for you to do anything about it.

• besty
    besty
    By the time He does reveal himself it might be too late for you to do anything about it.

Can you identify the 'He' you are referring to please.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I'll take my chances JD - if your God is the God of the bible - the one who condones/encourages genocide, rape, slavery, then I'm not interested. If he's someone else, the onus is on HIM to make it completely obvious he's there.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

That's why there's so many of us that get to this point, isn't THAT obvious?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Can you identify the 'He' you are referring to please.

Take a wild guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit