Pocket Guide to Dealing with jws in Social Situations {just in time for the holidays}

by rebel8 15 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

So as not to hijack this thread, I'm starting my own. Please add to the list I've started!

The point is--be anchored in normalcy.

If the list gets long enough, I might post it on my jw downloads page for posterity. :D

Dubbie whack behaviorNormal person behaviorSuggested response
    Shunning, including refusing to even say helloShunning isn't really normal unless you really really hate a person--it's very rude and childishAct as if you don't expect to be shunned--don't "sit in the back" or avoid speaking to someone you'd normally speak to. That would be playing their game. When they shun, just look at them with an exaggerated look of shock and offense, then brush it off and move on--as if they farted really really loud and you're embarrassed for them.
    PreachingTalking about religion or politics is generally considered off limits and quite rude

Tolerate it a moment to see if they will stop. Don't make eye contact or that would encourage it. In the meantime, put your hand in your pocket and give them the finger, just to keep your sanity.

Change the subject very abruptly, bonus points if you can interrupt them mid-sentence. Talk about something totally unrelated to make it totally obvious.

Or...state, "It's considered rude to talk about religion."

Or....state, "How thoughtful of you to bring up such a topic."

Or...."Do you still believe jumping naked will cure colds, or is that old light?"

Or...."My cell phone has a cool game--Ouija. It's right here in my pocket." {pull out cell phone and push random buttons, then make a throaty growl and roll your eyes back in your head}

Asking you to come back"Abrupt subject change, but this time talk about something totally positive about your post-borg life. Ramble on and on about it without taking a breath, and raise the volume if they lose interest.
  • nelly136
    nelly136

don't "sit in the back"

i've seen this cause absolute confusion, thanx for the dejavu giggle

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

I love it!!!!! I had to print this out. Do you got more?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I want more!

*my mother gave me an awake this morning*

• rebel8
    rebel8
    *my mother gave me an awake this morning*

"Why, thank you, how thoughtful of you, and timely. Why, just this morning, I ran out of paper for the bird's cage." Then immediately walk over and line the cage, being sure she sees it.

"Oh, how wonderful! Why, just yesterday, I was remarking to Mr. Jones how much I longed to understand how snakes shed their skin."

"Oh, thanks so much! I have been looking for something to read while drinking my coffee." Then immediately spill coffee all over it.

"Thanks, mom. Hey, do you notice something weird about this artwork?" Take a pen and trace a subliminal image of a ghost or devil, even if you are just making it up.

"Thanks mom, but I don't really want to read about bird reproduction right now. I happen to have seen it on Nickelodeon yesterday. Isn't it wonderful Jehovah provides such timely spiritual food? Where else can one read this valuable information? I swear I have the equivalent of a doctoral degree, just from reading these wonderful magazines."

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Love it! lol

• nelly136
    nelly136

cut it into squares and hang it on string next to the toilet for her next visit, ask if she has any more to spare cos the last one was so handy

• rebel8
    rebel8

Dear Sir, I am in the smallest room of the house. I have your letter before me. Soon it will be behind me.

--Sir Winston Churchill

• rebel8
    rebel8

I once had a Return Visit TM letter mailed to me after years of asking it to stop.

I shredded the entire thing carefully by hand. I got a big envelope and decorated it generously with Christmas stamps, then returned the shreds to the sender.

• BadBettie
    BadBettie
    Dubbie whack behaviorNormal person behaviorSuggested response
    Shunning, including refusing to even say helloShunning isn't really normal unless you really really hate a person--it's very rude and childishAct as if you don't expect to be shunned--don't "sit in the back" or avoid speaking to someone you'd normally speak to. That would be playing their game. When they shun, just look at them with an exaggerated look of shock and offense, then brush it off and move on--as if they farted really really loud and you're embarrassed for them.
    PreachingTalking about religion or politics is generally considered off limits and quite rude

Tolerate it a moment to see if they will stop. Don't make eye contact or that would encourage it. In the meantime, put your hand in your pocket and give them the finger, just to keep your sanity.

Change the subject very abruptly, bonus points if you can interrupt them mid-sentence. Talk about something totally unrelated to make it totally obvious.

Or...state, "It's considered rude to talk about religion."

Or....state, "How thoughtful of you to bring up such a topic."

Or...."Do you still believe jumping naked will cure colds, or is that old light?"

Or...."My cell phone has a cool game--Ouija. It's right here in my pocket." {pull out cell phone and push random buttons, then make a throaty growl and roll your eyes back in your head}

Asking you to come back"Abrupt subject change, but this time talk about something totally positive about your post-borg life. Ramble on and on about it without taking a breath, and raise the volume if they lose interest.
    " I miss you so much!!" Having seen that you were hesitant to contact others for whatever reason, would call or visit to see their treasured friend.

"I'm sorry to hear that"

or if you liked them and they are okay

"Heres my email, if you want to meet with me for coffee some time"*

or if you want to make a point

"My phone number hasn't changed"

*Careful they may think "COFFEE STUDY"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit