A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. From the Nov 1 WT

by life is to short 44 Replies latest jw friends

• zarco
    zarco

Learning Hebrew and Greek is only a small percentage of the picture with regard to Bible writings. As important is the culture, the practices, the political and economic situation of the time period, how people lived, what external beliefs/cultures influenced them and the list continues on and on.

As an example, a WT scholar a 1000 years from now may happen upon the phrase written in English “kick the bucket”, a WT scholar would – through the holy spirit – explain this phrase to mean – the true Christians in America would “kick” all their worldly goods held in their “bucket” as worthless. Rather they focused the coming of kingdom in 2014. For any non-english speakers, this idiom means "die". But for a WT scholar, who in the heck knows what it means.

Fortunately, much of thinking society listens to those who study culture, language, religion, history and the like. We build on their findings and ideas. Sadly, the WT has not one (maybe I am exaggerating) individual capable of really understanding Hebrew and Greek and what the words and phases really meant in context.

zarco

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    It then said how we could not even totally be able to use a dictionary because many dictionary's provide all the possible meanings of a word and how could we know for sure which the word is used that will help us to determine the specific meaning.

And now they are told they aren't capable of reading and understanding a dictionary? Mabye they shouldn't driving, either.

• VM44
    VM44
    Sadly, the WT has not one (maybe I am exaggerating) individual capable of really understanding Hebrew and Greek and what the words and phases really meant in context.

I do not believe you making an exaggeration.

There may well be no one at Bethel, or Patterson, or Wallkill, who really understands Biblical Greek and Hebrew along with the associated cultures.

• observador
    observador

Hi.

Not sure about your story in the Org, but we go through phases when our minds open. Among them, are the phase where...

we get upset over the things we read in the Watchtower pubs;

then we get offended with some other things;

then we get very irritated;

then, as time passes, we just get amused with all the BS we read there because we simply don't care any longer.

I think I am in the last phase: not surprise with anything anymore coming from the WT; just mildly amused; I care just enough to keep myself informed.

Observador.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Reading old posts. A lot of thoughtful comments.

Flipper on page 1. Telling an Elder what the definition of generation is, from a dictionary. Great answer Flipper. "A generation is 30 - 40 years", and the Elder flipping out (pardon the pun) "Where did you read that from?" "A dictionary" lol Anyone doing genealogy research, knows that.

The Watch Tower tries so hard to keep its members, dumbed down...so they stay uneducated and enslaved. Disgusting.

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit