The Truth Of "Serving" As An Elder

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Who the hell are "the elders"? Being an elder is supposed to be a "privilege". Elders are supposed to be "shepherds" who care for the flock. They are supposed to "serve" the needs of the flock. I do believe some men are sincere about their appointment but unfortunately being an elder means simply being an "Organization Man". A "good" elder cannot decide for himself that a person is truly needy or sorry about a particular act. He needs to get the body of elders to be involved. Doing something for someone with permission or approval from the other elders is a no-no. That's called "running ahead, independent thinking" and not "waiting on Jehovah".

What was supposed to be a "gift in men" has turned into a bureauocracy. Meetings are set up to determine whether you should be judged as unrepentant or not. The elders exert so much control that they can make your life a miserable nightmare! If you "question" the elders on a matter or hint that you might disagree with their viewpoints, you are labeled as "disorderly, immature, weak, or apostate".

The Theocratic Organization made mere men believe that they are something special, appointed by God and his holy spirit. These very imperfect men forgot who they really were. They bought into the hype of "being used by Jehovah". Questioning them or their authority is the same as questioning Jehovah God Himself.

When I look back at my years as an elder, I can't help but see how foolish we all were! We were no different than the priests of Christendom. At least most of the clergy have a degree and went to school and became educated. Witness elders are proud of the fact that they wash windows, floors and toilets by day and wield enormous power by night. It's a huge head trip. Thankfully many of us have seen the error of our ways and with humility have recognized how dumb we were really were.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

I think elders are too busy to be elders. They have so much to do and yet as elders they dont have time to be an elder. (family, work etc, stops them fulfilling that role) did you shepherd? Did you have time for attending to the flock of God?

• minimus
    minimus

when I was an elder, it meant being a juggler. Your family will suffer if you have to be responsible for caring for 200 people. There were soooo many useless meetings it was ridiculous! Time could've been better spent watching TV!

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Its so sad. So many wasted years. I got hoodwinked ( deceived by false appearance ) I tried to do right by the friends, the rank and file, the many who came to me for help. However the Bethel Elders were very different than the local Elders. I was a family man, local Elder. I tried to be Christ-like with all people. I had my ups and downs etc.

What a shock I had when I learned about and received a reality check about the Watchtower Society and all its past history. I can't recover those 33 years. I try and live one day at a time, caring for my family, enjoying true friendships and putting the past behind me. I''ll soon be 65 years old! How many years are left? I read alot, play texas holdem' see some movies, and socialize with friends.

My wife and sons are well, the family is together, no reason to complain anymore. Many have it much harder than me. It has ben nice to share the many topics and post's with you Mini and the many others over the years and that has brought a measure of comfort. Take good care of yourself friend.

Blueblades

• cantleave
    cantleave

I accepted the privilege of being an elder with good motive. I could help the congregation and be a moderating influence. I was young and understood the pressures of other young people. What a let down when I realised entrenched attitudes were never going to be shifted. Little did I realise that if you challenged the status quo coalitions within the body would conspire against you. There are some who are genuine, they want to be positive influence, but their voices are all but drowned out by the ignorant, despotic, career Elders. When I stepped down the relif was immense.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was sincere about becoming an elder. From the moment I was recruited until after I was appointed an elder, I truly thought this was God's organization and that I had a higher purpose in life. I was quickly awoken from my "spiritual paradise" when I was a fairly new elder. The doctrine changed, the elders promoted the company ahead of the individuals. Elders generally studied less than some sincere "publishers" but felt that they had the best understanding of everything. Elders often put in less recruiting hours with the excuse that they had elder stuff to do.

It is a religion of privilege. Reach a higher level to get privileges. People want to clean toilets instead of actual cult work, so they reach out for privileges. Elders would rather fill their hearts and minds with Pharisee stuff rather than clean the toilets. C.O.'s would rather dictate the Pharisee stuff than listen to someone else dictate it, plus they get mini-worship from the members and elders. And so on up the ladder.

• RR
    RR

The elders I serve with were all self-serving, looking out for themselves only. The P.O.'s MS son slept with a pioneer sister, hehad his son move out before he was Df'd, so he could keep his privileges. 6 months, the son was reinstated and 6 months after that he was an MS again, only to be DF'd later for the same offense.

Another elder and his pioneer wife, had a teenage daughter who "disappeared". Turns out she got herself pregnant and so they sent her away, so as not to be an embarrassment and lose teir privileges.

One other elders was plotting to over throw the P.O. so he could be P.O.

Another Elder who was married was a closet homosexual.

RR

• life is to short
    life is to short

Your family will suffer is an understatement. You do not have a family if you are a true elder. There is no way you can work take care of the car, house and whatever else needs to be done and still be a husband much less a father to your children. So many elders do not do their jobs and just love the title that the ones who truly feel that this was the true religion get dumped on more and more and the wife suffers more and more. I know only too well from experience. After 22 years we do not have a marriage. Oh sad it all is and for what.

• flipper
    flipper

LIFE IS TOO SHORT- Very true what you say. I've seen it happen many times. Just remember you have friends here that care- including my wife and myself. Hang in there , hope to talk soon

• RR
    RR

When I stepped down, it was such a relief off my shoulders. When it was read to the congregation, we left (wife and I) and went out for pizza.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit