The Truth Of "Serving" As An Elder

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

From what I was told, elders at one point stopped going door to door in the 70's. It was considerd service by leading the flock. Anyone who served back then?

• deep-blue-sea
    deep-blue-sea

My husband has been the first elder in the congregation since the creation of the function in 1972. He was really devoute. He kept a serious conversation with me, explaining that if he had to accept this 'privilege' I had to cooperate and accept the fact that he would be busy and ready to help and counsel brothers and sisters at any moment.... I accepted!

I never complain: 3 kids, housekeeping, caring for children, preaching even 40 hours per month in order to help and be an 'example', a husband traveling for the company (during 5 years) from monday through thursday, coming back in time from the airport straight on the podium to give speechs he had prepared during his travels. Saturday afternoon he was leading the preaching REGULARLY during YEARS, sunday morning leading the Watchtower or giving talks and in the afternoon some elder gathering or some committee...well not much left for the family!

A life of real dedication to the organization, ready to help even during the night, when called to help friends,...poor family life..... (thanks to a wife who took all family charges on her shoulders...) when he left the charge it was like a defeat, but after a period we started to appreciate the fact to be free to decide of our life and to enjoy, at least our family.

Life is too short is true, why all this efforts? Why all that deprivation, all those sacrifices? Now after resignation (as elder + Watchtower), where is the appreciation of the 'friends' and of the Watchtower for all his hard work, during years? So sad to realize it has been a waste of time, a waste of a life!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Everything the hounders do is what the hounder-hounder or the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells them to. If one is trying to set things right, the others are going to put them in their place--or the hounder-hounder is going to toughen things back up again.

• minimus
    minimus

Wiz, is there something wrong with you?? Now it's "the hounder-hounder"? What are you talking about? Can't you state something---ANTHING--without us having to decode it? I'm sure you can do it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    When I look back at my years as an elder, I can't help but see how foolish we all were

Too right Min... it is the ultimate power ego trip...WE are appointed by Holy Spirit. WE can explain the mysteries of the Universe and the Will of GOD ! (Wow!)

In fact it is a chauvinists paradise, a boys club and a talking shop. We spent so much time in meetings, travelling to distant Circuit Elder's meetings , Kingdom Ministry School meetings , meetings about the Assembly Hall, meetings about the Circuit Assembly..

Angel Eyes said something that I can totally agree with (yes really) We were too busy too be elders in the proper sense of the word.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I try not to look back with regret as it generally does no good. However, what you say minimus along with other factors made me decide in the late 1990s to step down as an elder. I could no longer serve. Hell even the pharse I just used "step down" is insulting to the brothers. It makes it seem like elders are a "step up" from others - very insulting really.

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

"...it is the ultimate power ego trip...WE are appointed by Holy Spirit. WE can explain the mysteries of the Universe and the Will of GOD ! (Wow!)"

This reminded me of a recent meeting when a sister made the comment that getting a visit from an elder was such a privilage as it was as if Jesus himself was coming by to see you" PUKE!

HQ

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Everything the hounders do is what the hounder-hounder or the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells them to.

Min, WTW is using code that is very very common on this forum.

Elders are hounders because they hound the members. C.O.'s are hounder-hounders because they hound the elders.
    Everything the elders do is what the C.O. or the Faithful Discreet Slave tells them to [do].

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Elder's are like "Roosters" to me. Cock-a-doodle-doo. Think they are big "cocks" and are really full of "doo-doo".

Skeeter

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

After more than 20 years I'm still an elder, but definetly I'm not the same, and my views have greatly changed. I went up in the ladder, got very close to the top and that a profound effect on me: We are just men! It's all show-biz, ego pumping, power seekers, control freaks. That has made me change. A year ago I struggled with a whole BOE and then the CO, as they wanted me to be the new PO; I politely refused, and by the ed of the visit they gave up. With a mix of confusion and admiration the CO told me he had never seen such a capable man shy away from the spotlight, and commended me for it. I just told him it has less to do with being humble, and more with deconstructing the myth that elders are special or powerful; it's about serving, and you can do that form any position.

Needles to say, I'm considered weird, a liberal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit