I remember thinking 'why would I want anyone to change from being in the world to a JW?'

by jambon1 41 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Did anyone else feel this way & if so, at what stage in your time as a JW?

I remember I must have been in the org for about 6 or 7 years. I was always trying to be the life & soul of the cong. The class clown if you like (even though inside I was depressed). I was this way until the day I walked out of the KH for the last time. Outwardly, I was all that. Enjoying life as a JW. I was chatty, gregarious. Interested in people both inside & outside the cong.

As a result, I had some nice calls with people on the ministry. I would pretty much only deliver magazines & answer any questions, if they asked. I had a big magazine route which included lots of elderly people & mid-aged men/women. I used to love hearing their strorys & things about their family, grandkids, etc. Perhaps I was just nosey!

As I have mentioned on here previously, I would look around our cong and see lots of depressed people. I could relate to them in a way as inwardly I was miserable. I saw lots of problems with marriages & family life. No-one seemed to be happy or upbeat about life. 90% of the cong were negative people. Most people had ongoing problems. Lots were on anti-depressants. Utterly depressing it was.

Unlike my calls. The worldly people. Not all of them. But most. They were all pretty much contented & had lead happy lives. They had happy memories. Most of them just seemed content with their lot in life, despite having faced different challenges.

When this began to dawn on me, I realised that it would be cruel for me to wish that these people become JW's. Why would I want anyone to become part of the misery that I was experiencing? I had seen how the WTS could take people who were previously happy-go-lucky folk (like I was), and do something to them. Turn them into paranoid, negative, depressing individuals.

It wasn't long after that, that I realised I should leave the org.

Anyone else feel this way?

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

Ive never seen it as bringing someone from the world as a Jehovahs witness, Ive just always wanted to help people get to know Jehovah and have a relationship with him. It's hard to be in a congregation, and it get harder and harder the closer to the end we get, but it still has its good points. There are lots of good, loving bro's and sister's, and I love playing around with the kids....We often have kiddy get togethers.great fun :)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Ive never seen it as bringing someone from the world as a Jehovahs witness, Ive just always wanted to help people get to know Jehovah and have a relationship with him. It's hard to be in a congregation, and it get harder and harder the closer to the end we get, but it still has its good points. There are lots of good, loving bro's and sister's, and I love playing around with the kids....We often have kiddy get togethers.great fun :)

Yes. It's all good if you have the mental capacity of a child and can't think for yourself.

• IronHill
    IronHill

Im not going to bash AE, and question her intelligence, i think everyone else do a good job at that (it's not at all respectful)...but honestly, jambon1 was talking about the overall sense of the congregation and how it's members were negative and depressed...

And the answer are more kiddie partys??

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

no, i was just saying there is some enjoyment still to be had with the borhters and sisters.

Hence i said its hard and gets harder and harder to be within a cong but there are loving ones still there.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It's not "the closer you get to the end" that makes it harder... it's the fact that the end never comes and never will come!

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

I agree with AE on the part that there are good loving people in the congregations, but the organization has become rotten from within above the congregation level and victimizes those good people.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

its sad alot of you on here arent there anymore, if we all were united and stuck to our guns(so to speak) things wouldnt have got so bad...but sadly too many rotten apples,weeds,suffercate the wheat like ones.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

its sad alot of you on here arent there anymore, if we all were united and stuck to our guns(so to speak) things wouldnt have got so bad...but sadly too many rotten apples,weeds,suffercate the wheat like ones.

Yeah, that's it.

• jambon1
    jambon1

it's sad alot of you on here arent there anymore, if we all were united and stuck to our guns(so to speak) things wouldnt have got so bad...but sadly too many rotten apples,weeds,suffercate the wheat like ones.

Are you being serious?

Stick to our guns? What, like over the blood issue being wrong & unnecessary? Disfellowshipping being extreem, cruel & unloving?

Paedophiles holding down positions in the cong? Lying elders?

Stick to our guns? When surrounded by stuff like this? No thanks. You're being insulting.

And we are the 'rotten apples', the 'weeds?'. Go away and have a word with yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit