Which is your favourite single malt Scotch Whisky, and why?

by lifelong humanist 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

I drank a bottle of Glenmorangie the day that Heart of Midlothian FC won the Scottish Cup in 1998 against Rangers.

It has always evoked happy memories & is still one of the best whiskeys.

Every new year I still 1st foot my old man with a bottle of the stuff.

Happy, happy days.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I have yet to try Glenmorangie

• Charlie Cheddar
    Charlie Cheddar

You've touched on a favourite topic of mine.

My favourite is Balvenie, particularly the Double Wood brand. (double wood meaning is matured in two seprate type of casks).

Also like; Old Pulteny, Aberlour, Glenfiddich, Isle of Jura.

Also of the 'peaty' veriety; Laphroiag, Talisker, Bowmore.

CC

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Balvenie Doublewood is a good one for the price.

I liked Aberlour, too, although their prices seem to be going up.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Single-marlt scotch! YUMMY!

• B-Rock
    B-Rock

Highland park is truly superb, and a great value for the money. It is a big scotch.

• besty
    besty

Being born and raised in Scotland has disabused me of the preciousness surrounding whisky - daniel-p - relax already and enjoy the moment - of course your idea of relaxation may be more formal than mine :-) in any case I'm happy that you take an interest in Scotch.

Nod at the Balvenie though - that is a drinking whisky for sure.

• Frank75
    Frank75

It's always time to talk about and consume Scotch.

I love it all and find there is a time for each Scotch to enhance a particular moment. Whether it is a cigar on the patio or in the Hot Tub, as an aperitif, to cap off a great meal or a great day on the golf course, or to help with the fever or chest cold.

The Islay SM's are perfect for the colder whether of Fall and Winter.

Single Cask or Double Wood single Malts, 18, 20, 25 or 30 year old SM's or Cask strengths are for bragging and boasting with friends or savouring alone.

Younger Malts also have their place but I draw a line where a scotch gives no specific age.

Not to be overlooked are some Exquisite blends such as JW (pardon the pun) Blue Label or Chivas Royal Salute which likewise have their place and are a great way to appeal to a broader palate.

SCOTCH....Now your talking Cult and I am all in!

Frank75

PS this thread reminds me of our old friend Never Going Back. Here's to you brother...Slainte Mhath!

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Thank you all posters - I read your comments with great pleasure. I'm heartened that some of our lesser known malts are available in your country, and that you don't grudge the extra cost of buying the longer matured malts - that's pure class!

I'm just about to enjoy a second wee dram of Old Pulteney 12 year old before I make a tasty smoked haddock fish pie for tonight's dinner. If any of you lived nearer, you'd be warmly welcome to call in and enjoy...

lifelong humanist

• chicken little
    chicken little

Just logged on and saw your thread...I love single malts and have a really strange place for getting them. In Nice in France where I have a studio, there is a little exclusive whisky shop called Maclagan's finest scotch whiskies and most of his malts are from the Islay and small distilleries. I love peaty malts but my husband is not so keen. I was recommended to try Bruichladdich 12 year old...it is one of the only malts from Islay that is very lightly peated. It was just what my husband likes and I take a wee nip now and again. I enjoy Dalwhinnie 15years and Balvenie 14 year aged in rum casks...yummy! Macallan elegancia 12 is enjoyable too. Getting thirsty here. Oh I was given two lovely tasting glasses from my whisky guy in Nice, they are curved in at the top, very nice to sniff from.

Cheers, skål.

Chicken little

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit