Which is your favourite single malt Scotch Whisky, and why?

by lifelong humanist 35 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

As a true Scot, I'm deeply passionate about most things Scottish, any possibly one of our small nation's most successful export is my main favourite - our single malt whisky heritage.

I'm writing this while savouring a 12 year old Highland Park - distilled in the Orkney Islands, the most northerly distillery in Scotland. It is one of my favourites - it was my late father's favourite tipple.

Yet, only 500m from my house is Scotlands oldest legal whisky distillery - Glenturret, in Crieff. I find their 8 year old a so-so malt. Yet I recently tasted a 40 year old version, cask bottled strength (around 57%) - it was absolutely incredible! At over £100.0 70cl bottle, I doubt I'll be enjoying another one soon.

How many posters here are also keen Scotch malt whisky drinkers?

Which are your favourites - and why? Are you keen on peaty, earthy whiskies, or do you prefer more floral notes in your wee dram? Do the Islay malts do it for you? What's the availability like where you live, and the affordability?

lifelong humanist

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The 12 yr Hihgland pak is pretty good, very smoky. Best I've had is the 16 yr Lagavulin... My most commonly-drank scotch is 10 yr Laphrioag (sp?)--pretty affordable.

Another great one with a lot of complexity is the Glenfarclas 105--that's a serious motherfucking scotch.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

hhhmmmm ... good question.

If you like a peaty taste, Laphroaig is great. It's a bit heavy for my taste, but it's great in the winter.

Glenfiddich is, to me, a sharp clear single malt with a good aftertaste.

But my favourite is Macallen. Great taste, strong enough to get your attention without overhwhelming. And it's great when you've got an upset tummy.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Had an Oban a while ago (cant remember the age)... thought it was good but overpriced.

• blondie
    blondie

Glenlivet

What my family drank, sipped on it starting at 10 years of age. Nothing ever matched its taste.

• dissed
    dissed

My wife is the single malter in our family.

At Xmas, everyone is her friend as each of the family gives her a nice bottle.(18 years) Enough to last her almost a year.

She has discovered recently the proper way to serve it in the right glass. The rim bends inward like a wine glass but more exagerated. The aroma fills the nostrils while sipping.

• besty
    besty

right now I'm partial to the Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey - excellent choice :-) <hic>

just kidding with ya lifelong :-)

any Bowmore or Auchentoshan by the Morrison family of course - now owned by the Japs unfortunately :-(

Neat on the rocks - perfect :-)

<don't let anybody tell you Scotch has to be room temperature and diluted with a little water - any spirit made in industrial volumes is diluted way before you get it so further dilution is arbitrary - there's a lot of snobbishness around Scotch - now tequila - there is a drink for the discerning man to do serious homework on...>

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Glen Scotia (Campbelltown) - 50% proof, smooth with a delightful aroma and flavour gently broken with a threat of water.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

don't let anybody tell you Scotch has to be room temperature and diluted with a little water - any spirit made in industrial volumes is diluted way before you get it so further dilution is arbitrary

Not so with all scotches. For example, Glenfarclas is bottled at about 66%. That can be a little stiff for most, and a few drops of water quiet it down and really open up its aroma and taste. It just depends on the scotch and your tastes.

As far as temperature is concerned, I couldn't imagine drinking a nice scotch refridgerated or with ice in it... that's what blends are for.

She has discovered recently the proper way to serve it in the right glass. The rim bends inward like a wine glass but more exagerated. The aroma fills the nostrils while sipping.

I've gotten mixed messages regarding the "proper" way to drink scotch. (Of course, we're talking single malts here, so serving in a tumbler is right out.) But I'm talking about the tulip-shaped glasses versus the inward-tapered-rim glasses. The thing I like about the latter is how easier it is to savor the aroma... and in that case I like the biggest, roundest glass available. Most of the time, it ends up being a big-ass bordeaux-style wine glass. But the tulip-shaped glasses are nice too, since the profile is so much smaller, they look pretty cool, and the way it spreads across your tongue and hits the tastebuds on the sides of the tongue is pretty effective with the peaty malts.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

HIGHLAND PARK

18 YEAR OLD SCOTCH

.......................OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit