If you were well known as JW at your job and in the neighbourhood...

by Albert Einstein 25 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Just come right out with it. You'll find people are very supportive.

Amen.

Some will even give you a great, big bear hug!

Hey, it happened to me.

Sylvia

• JWoods
    JWoods

For me there was a stage of the separation in which I was ashamed to admit I was ever associated with the JW - as if it was somehow too weird to be believed. Sort of like the victims of a Ponzi scheme hate to admit they could ever have been so stupid as to be taken into it.

Later on, I realized that I actually had something to offer to other people trapped in high control groups, marriages, or even business situations...so I am no longer ashamed to tell my story.

• blondie
    blondie

We never made it big deal to tell neighbors we were jws. After all, they didn't tell us what religion they were. We have since changed jobs to different agencies and changed neighborhoods. No big deal as to holidays or birthdays since I work for the government and they have strict rules as to participation. It took a year to re-train the inlaws though.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Saving for heartbreaker's email to teachers.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Cantleave....did you ever use the email for the teachers for your kids?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Heartbreaker, Yes we did. We had a chance to meet with our kids teachers last week. Our daughter's teacher is a Christian and was very supportive and was quite interested in why we have changed our religion. We have said we are actually still undergoing a transition and are happy for our kids to get involved in non - worship activities. Neither me or my wife want wanted the kids getting involved in Carols or Prayers, since the school is a church of England school (like many public schools in the UK) in a realtively small village the Carols will be sung in a religious service.

We can not openly have a christmas, for reasons previously stated, but I am sure by next year we will, even if it means going on holiday away from the prying eyes who maybe looking for a reason to DF us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit