If you were well known as JW at your job and in the neighbourhood...

by Albert Einstein 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

... how did you handle to let others know you do not consider yourself as one of JWs anymore? Did you tell them straigh? Did you explain details?

How do you handle if your mate is still in?

One year ago I explained my sons teacher that we are JW and we do not celebrate birthdays .... and now I met her when I brought my son to his classmates birthday party ... I felt weird...

Albert

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Albert, I have been thinking about this question too! I have told my kids kindergarten teachers we are JW's, so they've been good about not letting my kids participate in that kind of thing. Now I'm worried how I'll backtrack to change it. I also worry about work, and how they know I'm a JW, and how, if at all, I should let them know I'm now not? Is it something you advertise, or do you keep it to yourself until the need arises? I'd like some help on this one too! Good thread!

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

I work many years for a big company as an executive manager and several hundreds of people know me as a JW, however it was only one person i told this directly several years ago (the lady asked me directly). Others know it indirectly... so it is easier for me now to make sometimes remarks "I was a JW..." Last week I was at a lunch with one of my managers and I made a remark "... I know a lot about manipulation, since I was a JW years ago...." in a second she asked very curious: "You were or you are one?" So I could explained it a bit in the way: I was a JW in the past, and if you have heard I am one, it was incorrect information....... now I hope she will help to spread the info in the company ....

Albert

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

wantstoleave - I think if we told somebody (our kids teachers...) straight we are JW, we should now tell them straight, but without details, we are not in anymore ... otherwise they will be confused.

If somebody told you he is a strict vegetarian and few months later you meet him in a steak restarant would you expect brief explanation?

Albert

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I work three different jobs part-time and they all knew I was a witness. In each case I explained to the workmates I deal with more closely and explained my change of views then let natural gossip take care of the rest . In some instances when people asked why I changed I gave them details otherwise it was just left as now my views have changed . I have even gone so far as to explain the shunning policy because at one job I work with my ex-sister in law that is a witness . So many people can not believe she considers herself a Christian and treats me so coldly .

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Early in the fall of 2007, I simply started openly celebrating Christmas--even getting the decorations at stores instead of just ordering online. And I simply told them that I was no longer supporting the witlesses.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My co-workers are fully informed that I no longer believe what JW's believe, but that my wife does.
    They know this causes problems for me, so they are a bit cautious when my wife comes by, but they are more friendly and open around me the rest of the time.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

OnTheWayOut: Did you explain them deatails why.... what kind of problems it creates to you... did you start celebrating birthdays with them from scertain moment???

How did they react?

Albert

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I hope this helps, this is the email I sent to all of my kids teachers. It was met with excitement and relief, and only one teacher who I am close to had any questions, which I gladly answered. I don't need to protect the Society anymore, and I shouldn't have to modify my answers to such questions. Below is the email.

Hello! Hope you weekend was a good one! This is ___________, my child(ren) in your classroom has/have some news they are excited to share with you, and have asked me to share it for them in email form. Recently our family has taken a different stance on our faith, which directly effects what we would allow or prefer as far as holiday celebrations and birthdays. As it stood BEFORE, we would have preferred our child not participate in any activities, but NOW we are open to whatever the child feels comfortable with. I know this change is big for them, and would really prefer that you let each and all activities that come into the classroom, holidays, birthdays etc, be an open option to participate if they feel comfortable, and if they aren't sure or don't want to, please understand this is different for them too. They may not know how to react, or how they feel about it. This is new and foreign territory for all of us, as both (Dad) and myself (Mom) were raised in the Jehovahs Witness religion, and have never celebrated any holiday or birthday. This is no longer our religion/faith as we have stepped away from it knowingly, and after much thoughtful consideration. It is no longer the faith which we wish to raise our children. So, if you will, please help navigate our child (ren) through what is exciting and new for them this year, we appreciate so much how you took our faith into consideration in the classroom, and hope that just as easily as you accomodated us in that avenue, that you can introduce the fun activities to our child (ren) in a way that is fun, acceptable, and totally THEIR CHOICE in participating, or sitting out the activity. If you have any questions, my email is always open to you, as well as a phone call. Thank you!

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Heartbreaker:

Albert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit