Cola at the District Convention

by lepermessiah 38 Replies latest jw friends

• crazycate
    crazycate

At either the International Assembly in Oakland or the one in San Francisco, we all stood at long plywood tables and ate tofu instead of real meat. Tofu shaped liked a chicken leg...tofu shaped like a hamburger patty. Gross.

Cate

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Remember some of the garbage served at the District Conventions?

OK but at least they used to serve us with food...At a price that was cheap but still profitable to them. NOW? You get sweet F.A. unless you get to one of those stadia where the management insist that their own catering concessions are able to operate.

The only garbage served up now is of the spiritual kind.....

JOOKBEARD...if you come back to this thread , I am glad you enjoyed the donuts and ice cream that I served up at Dorking Halls...Cleaning that donut machine on Sunday evening was a fitting end to a weekend ! ( That is if you happened to be in my Circuit though, which is less probable , but still a nice thought, thanks for the memory)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

BB, you went to Dorking? Wow, My old man and a lot from our Cong worked on the food there, I remember when it first opened and and it's closure, I remember a brother called John Mann who worked on the donut kiosk, Wimbledon town Hall was a good venue as well until that characterless out of the way Hays Bridge was opened, what circuit was you in ? PM me if you want

• observador
    observador

I know a few people to whom the working on the food preparation ("the kitchen", as they called it) was the real highlight of convention season. They were not only excited about doing the work, but would brag about it for months. All in the name of Jah, you know?

Observador.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I have to be honest - they served proper soft drinks & juices at our assemblies/conventions - no ""no brand"" stuff. Even the food they served was pretty tastey. I did prefer taking my own though - we used to make great sarmies, little mince pies, fruit juice, whole grain bread - have a picnic at lunchtime

• crapola
    crapola

What I thought was so sad was seeing a poor family with 6 or 7 kids trying to carry enough food in for all of them. And we were told that we had to have coolers small enough to fit under the seats. That was sometimes impossible!

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

Stopping by for my yearly visit. :)

Does this bring back the memories.

I remember the shasta and how it was NEVER cold. I can still feel that cola eating away at my teeth right now.

THE OJ!!! - It was always frozen solid when you first got it, you had to wrap it up with paper towels so the condensation didnt soak everything around it while it was melting and then ultimately you'd end up sucking down the concentrated part of the juice leaving a bitter orange slushy for later.

Anyone remember the "hoagies"?- That was my staple assembly food for years.

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes
    Speaking of fond memories, remember seeing people run for the line-up at lunch time? Some zealous witlesses would leave before the song would end, just to be the first in line.

Does that ever make me laugh. My dad would practically camp out if front of the cafeteria doors at the convention hall. We always ate first. We were always embarrassed of him but we had lots of time to "walk around " and around and around! LOL

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

Why was everything always frozen? Did no one think to take it out of the freezer a little earlier? especially pudding and orange juice?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit