Cola at the District Convention

by lepermessiah 38 Replies latest jw friends

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Remember some of the garbage served at the District Conventions?

I was at the dollar store today and noticed they started carrying "SHASTA" Cola.

I started laughing because they used to serve that skunk water at the district conventions when I was a kid.

They always brought in the cheapest, nastiest soda they could buy.

One year we had something called VESS cola - that was actually worse than the Shasta! Then, they ran out on Sunday and had to buy Pepsi from the local distributor - we were all rejoicing!!

As a joke, my buddies and I used to save a few cans of the crap and give it back and forth as Gag gifts...........ah the good old days.

• sir82
    sir82

Heh, brings to mind something....

Back in the olden days, before the current style of "press in" tabs on pop cans, there were the old "pop tops", that you completely removed from the can.

A friend of mine spent almost the whole afternoon session working to get one of those poptops perfectly straightened back out (it's harder than you might think!). He then flled his empty cola can with water and pressed the pop top back on - a perfect fit!

We worked at the food stand, and after the session we'd sell that day's surplus food, including the pop. Well, of course he had to put his can in with the rest, and of course the first person to buy one picked that can!

A sudden pang of conscience overtook him, and he chased the guy down and exchanged the can. I have no idea what reason he gave.

Forgot to mention, as if it weren't obvious, we were teenagers at the time!

• Denial
    Denial

we had RC Cola here in ontario canada. not the worst, but not the best.

• chicken little
    chicken little

When I first visited Denmark, I nearly died to see they served light beer at lunch...2.5% alcohol and everyone loved it...I was shocked to my puritan bones. After I moved there I got quite used to it..haha...then they scrapped the whole eating and drinking thing in favour of huge home made cooler boxes. Of course more work for the mothers to prepare each day before the 5.30 am travel to the convention site. Woe betide the heathen that sneaked out to get fast food...they were addressed from the platform as disrespectful of the convention arrangements. (I have seen huge long queues at the sweetie van and hot dog van outside the grounds...good business for them). The best treat we had was at Twickenham, London back in the early eighties...black forest gateaux...yummy!

• dissed
    dissed

And why did the German JW's get beer at their assemblies? Its not fair, I tell ya.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Convention arrangements when you had to bring your own food? WTF? That was no arrangement. We should have all felt free to leave to get real food. No food service at the conventions was a real disservice to families. No strollers and no large coolers. We brought Lunchables that became room temperature by lunch time.

• Prov1320
    Prov1320

In Ontario, COTT COLA preceeded RC... RC was considered an upgrade! lol I worked at the food stand too and remember it all too well.

I still remember their stupid slogan: "It's COTT to be good!" (In french it translated to: "if it's cott, it's good" - not exactly what the translaters indended)

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

What about the Sara Lee apple danishes....or the FROZEN orange juice they served during breakfast? My favorite were the roast beef sandwiches with the bbq sauce packets!!

• blondie
    blondie

I would bring my own Pepsi. I remember I was counseled for not supporting the food arrangement. There were several jws that were allergic to a great many food items and just brought their own (pre-bring your own days) and were counseled for doing that.

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
    You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

: Shame on you Blondie for running ahead of the organization's lovingly provided food arrangement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit