Why did you leave the society??

by sadiejive 35 Replies latest jw friends

• sadiejive
    sadiejive

The subject is pretty cut and dry:

---Why did you leave the society??---

Was it one thing or several?
    Was it a problem with their doctrine?
    I am currently a "householder" (at least I think that is what I am called). I've been studying (for those of you who didn't read my last post) for almost 4 yrs now. I have read several replies by those who say many things don't surface until after baptism.

What are these things?
    I would like to hear of your experiences. Lengthy stories are fine .

I am genuinely curious.

Many thanks....
    sadie

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

If you are interested in personal stories, I might recommend the personals page off "all forums". Lots of LONG stories in there.

For my own part I left the Witness org because my "reality" clashes with their supposed "reality". I felt that things werent really like they said they were.
    A lot of ex dubs I know got tired of feeling like debased,guilty, unworthy people in an organization that constantly reminded us that it was a utopia,where everyone was blissfully happy.

• refiners fire
  • ISP
    ISP

Because there was no way I was bringing my young family up in the WTS. I had doubts and bit by bit the I dismantled the lie.

ISP

• LB
    LB

I think you are a publisher, a non-baptized publisher, if you go out in service.

Mine is fairly simple. First they do treat you differently after baptism. You are always doing great when studying, never doing enough afterwards. But then there was an appointment of a horrible man in my old kingdom hall. I went to the elders with my required two witnesses. It was all ignored. They do what they want. Then I saw how differently people are treated. Depending on who's family you are from.

But the obvious mistakes were the final straw. 607, change in generation (done to save their butts)and of course one false prophecy after another. What is the sign of a false prophet? One false prophecy.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• sadiejive
    sadiejive
    If you are interested in personal stories, I might recommend the personals page off "all forums". Lots of LONG stories in there.

Thanks for the advice. I am new here and haven't done much exploring. I will check those out.

sadie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Basic reason - abuse by my elder/husband and the cover-up by the elders

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

hey lady lee. read what my elder father did to my mother in "memories of my father" in "personal stories". It might resonate with you.

• Celtic
    Celtic

I think I realised nearenough all along that there was something distinctly not right about the picture I was being given or led to believe. From very young this caused much disturbance in my emotions, a kind of disjointedness. I therefore would ask lots of questions, which never would get answered. I was just to accept, not make my own imformed choice.

Understanding this fairly on made me quite a wild card within the congregation and I was mistrusted from very early on for being to bright for my own good. The only way to keep this in check, they saw fit was to get more and more stringently tough with me. In time I realised that what was in conflict here was my natural love, me, just being me, and understanding myself within that spatial experience, versus their imposed box or package / interpretation that they were insisting was The Truths version of love. Sorry guys, but I'm glad I held to my imformed choice opinion.

The hypocrisy, the pettiness of many of the teachings, how a scripture had a dozen different meaning according to different WT articles, how they bent scriptures, how we were all treated as individuals, the stunted learning processes of the WTBTS corporation, lack of love in action, lack of real time community involvement, constant bickering and sulking by congregation members, the amount of ME in the congregation and a 1001 other reasons.

Conclusions now? This cult can, is capable of, and will do untold damage to individuals emotions, it wipes away real values, it doesn't live out what it portrays in practice.

Please, please stay away from them. If you must follow any one church that has its head as Christ, find a non-denominational church near you. You will probaly feel far more uplifted by the experience that the JW's cancerous, poisonous lived out reality.

I wouldn't wish them upon my worst enemy.

What do I feel now? A darn sight better, more balanced, more positive, greater scope of outlook, more open minded, if a little more eccentricly bananas than most.

In peace

Mark
    www.can-online.org.uk
    [email protected]

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I took an honest look at people, and how happy they were......they weren't. I didn't seriously examine doctrine until after I left. But, it was definitly the spirit of non-brotherhood that swayed me to run away from the "true religion" {said with heavy sarcasm}.

ashi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit