Are you searching?

by wantstoleave 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

wantstoleave

Your experience of parental influence being brought to bear is a common, and natural one, from anyone that cares about you. Yet, in your dilemma, it is bound up in the cultish world of one of the world'smost mind-control religions.

Take heart - thinking people always have, and will continue to, search for knowledge and enlightenment. Some simply quit JWs and align themselves with another religion. Some discover that they are totally non-religious (like me) and adopt a strong humanitarian viewpoint, or just abandon any belief system at all. The common thread seems to be searching deeper to try and answer the many philosophical arguments that have gone on for millenia.

You have to do what's right for you. You have to live with the consequences of your own, personal decision.

Perhaps, this challenge is extremely daunting and one that you don't yet feel ready to tackle? There is help out there, from countless sources, dependent on your conclusion to life's big challenges.

Take your time, think deeply, analyse everything in detail, and formulate your own ideas. Discuss them freely with people whose judgement you respect. Then, and only then, decide when you're ready and mentally prepared for the inevitable consequences of living your own life free from fear and oppression from people trapped in any religious, dogmatic cult.

Good luck on your future journey. Thousands have moved on and are living contented, happy and truly meaningful moral lives without needing any religious crutches to lean upon. Many posters here can testify to that!

lifelong humanist

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    What she was getting at was that even if I left the organisation, I would feel empty and feel the need to 'search' something out.

With leaving, at least you'd have the reedom to search.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Most everyone is searching. Some for God, but not too many. Some are searching for happiness and some are searching for understanding. Some gave up the search and settled for what someone else tells them. There are also those that don't know and don't care to search for whatever reason, but even they want to numb themselves for another day to fill their emptiness. There are all kinds of people on the planet.

If it's not this religion, which one will you go to?

Why does it have to be any religion? Maybe your path won't take you to someone else's answers. Personally, I think that spirituality is about the journey and not the destination. No matter who or what, we can't be sure until we "meet our maker" or do not meet him. I don't think we ever do, but that's not stopping me from trying to learn about what others believe and what I believe. I will never know all the answers, but I can look. I enjoy the answers that science gives me, and I know they will learn more and fill in gaps. I also enjoy eastern thought on life's big questions because most eastern thought leaves room for everyone else to be right- in other words, all paths are about the path and we can admit we don't know what lies beyond the path.

You don't have to worship something. You can if you want to. Enjoy the journey.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi WTL,

I agree, people are searching for real fulfilment, peace, security, answers, love etc.

I think you can only really find these things in the Creator. He knows us better than we know ourselves.

Of course, we think we know best

From the looks of the state of mankind, I'd say we are wrong.

Yes, I believe you will feel empty, in the confines of the walls of the WT or outside it. I was empty for 20 years, I know very well that feeling. I felt totally lost, overwhelmed, insignificant and had no peace, no real joy, love or purpose in life.

I am not that way at all now, quite the opposite.

Some think you can find all these things without God but I disagree. I tried a lot of things in 20 years, "sex, drugs and rock and roll".

Whatever you try, nothing satisfies like the Creator Colossians 1:15-20

All the best,

Stephen

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

In my experience I find your mother's declaration untrue. Finding yourself, appreciating every day of life and life around you is most gratifying. Allow yourself the freedom to just be...

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I accept that I do not know the answers and I do not need to know the answers. I am content with that. As I am a person, your mother's statement that no matter what people do they are always searching for something does not seem to be true.

Jackie

• blondie
    blondie

I think of it this way. If you find that you are married to someone who abuses you, lies to you, do you stay until you find another mate?

No you can leave and still have a good life; and you might find something else. But why stay with the bad?

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

*That* is an excellent point.

Jackie

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace! My apologies for the delay in responding - I took a break to spend some time with my husband and puppies. Went to see "Capitalism" today. VERY interesting… go see it, if you've a "mind" to.

are you a witness?

As in "Jehovah's Witness"? Heavens, no, dear one - the scribes and Pharisees "expelled" me from their "synagogue" some years ago. We had several (and I mean many) JC meetings, during which they said that although what I was sharing with them... and the WTBTS (via letters, which were usually responded to)... WAS "in the Bible," it was "not yet i n the WT" and so I needed to, well, shut up.

[NOTE: I did mention, and they agreed, that it was curious that a good deal of what I was sharing with the WTBTS was showing up later in the WT, literally, including my scripture correlation charts. Apparently, the WTBTS' response to that was some weak commentary to the effect that "no one individual anointed" was getting stuff from the Spirit. I never made such an assertion, however, as I do not believe I am/was the only one. I think the elders in my Hall thought/asked about it , however, after reading all of the letters I had written. Hey, they asked to see them...].

Anyway, I tried to move on but they kept wanting to meet and ask me more questions... and then tell me not to share the stuff with anyone else. I told them, well, okay, but if anyone else ASKED... an since there really is NO confidentiality others did ask... I would have to tell them the truth. Well, they considered this "going beyond the things written." Indeed, when I asked, "The things written where?" one [brother] responded..."The things written in the Watchtower!"

After the 14th meeting they wanted to meet again, but I had shared all the Spirit had given me up to that time; there really was nothing else. And I told them that and said given that, I couldn't any reason to meet anymore. They said, Well, okay, thank you!" Then the PO called me the next day to say that they would be announcing my disfellowshipping. When I asked "On what basis?" he told me that one of the brothers was "uncomfortable" with what I shared. When I said, "Surely you're not calling me an apostate?" he responded, "Oh, no, nothing like that. We're doing it because you won't meet with us again and so it's on the basis of disobedience. Brother So-and-So believes you've refused to meet with us and so are being disobedient."

Hmmmmm... I attend 14 meetings voluntarily, willingly, happily, and without protest, and share every thing I know... openly, honestly, and forthrightly... but because I had nothing else to share... and so couldn't see the POINT in a 15th meeting... they said, "Get out." Well, okay,then...

The PO did say I could appeal the decision and almost begged me to do so. He said, "Jehovah's going to judge us for this". I told him that I agreed. I also told him that I would indeed, appeal... but not to men.

So, nope, not a JW no 'mo, dear WTL...

I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit