Time To Vent Part 1

by tryingtoexit 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Maybe it's a regional thing. I remember a brother giving a talk at a circuit assembly several years ago counselling the sister to wear pantyhose in field service - bare toes showed we didn't take the ministry seriously and didn't properly reflect the organization. I remember it quite well b/c all of the sisters I knew were soooo angry. Um...We lived in the south where the heat index routinely was over 100 degrees. Wearing pantyhose out in the sun for 2 hours = guaranteed heatstroke.

Latin congregations usually allow moustaches, caucasian ones - it can be frowned upon. I have NEVER heard of a brother given privileges who had facial hair - through 3 different countries where i served. I have seen some with beards or goatees but they were considered "rebellious" and "spiritually weak".

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Absolutely no split skirts for women or anything resembling "mens pants" was allowed in Illinois where Im from. No hair past the ears for the guys and I think lately they have banned beards of any kind but mustaches are, or were, ok.

I never heard anyone require pantyhose those. And yes the guys needed to have suit jackets buttoned when onstage.

• tryingtoexit
    tryingtoexit

AE- Yes, I'm not joking. I have no reason to joke, I'm not mad over this for nothing. This has been going on since the early 90's. As a young black kid, I use to see the other kids where "parts" in their hair. It could be shaped like a half moon or a slanted line, we even had what we call "freaky parts" which is different designs like a Nike sign cut into your hair. But this was frowned upone as resembling the world too much. Just last year, my friend couldnt be an usher at a wedding cause his sideburns were passed his ear lobes. The elder giving the talk said at rehearsal, if they were not trimmed he would be removed from the wedding party. Next day, he showed up with them, he was replaced, and the elder was steaming that the brother disobeyed him.

The sisters not being allowed to bare their legs came from a talk from a brother from Bethel at an assembly, whenever a brother from Bethel is announced, everybody pays close attention. My mother said she dont care who says it, she aint following that.

And NO, you can NOT wear a goatee or have a beard, like someone mentioned, you cant have privileges with anything past a mustache and you'll be viewed as spiritually weak.

Dumb dumb dumb rules with no bible scriptures to base these "principles" on, my new favorite is "Why is he wearing bowties??!! That's what those muslims be wearing, they know the uniform, they should be wearing ties!"

^^ And I've heard that from more than 3 elders on numerous occasions, by the way I'm from MI, but reside in KY...

• wobble
    wobble

As I have posted before, I wore a beard for thirteen years (75-88) and gave Public talks in my Congo and went away and gave talks in others, no problem until they wanted to use me on an Assy. programme ,to relate an experience I had in Field service , whilst wearing a beard,so I shaved it off. (logic ?)

The TMS servant in the Congo I left wore a beard at the time and still does.

Sisters seem to toe the line as you describe most of the time,but probably more out of choice (?)

But then again I come from England, we don't have quite the same attitude, and my old congo was known wide and far for being liberal and different.

It was probably that air of freedom that prevented me from waking up for so long.

Love

Wobble

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

now I wanna beat one of the elder's ass for no reason if they just look at me.

You never really get over this part.

They other day a regular poster admitted he was still an elder.

I immediately had an overwhelming desire to kick his ass but good.

And I've been out for about 15 years.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    What are your views on aliens from ancient times up until now, space travel, etc??

Science seems to be constantly discovering that life loves to reproduce and evolve. It apparently doesn't take billions of years for life to adapt and evolve. It takes millions for the evolution and much less for the simple adapting. To me, that means that wherever the spark of life does occur, it evolves and adapts and becomes different things. If it happens so easily on earth, it probably happened elsewhere. By our understanding, water means life. If there is water out there in other places (just a common bonding of a couple of elements under the right conditions) and science is pretty sure there is, then volcanoes or lightning or whatever other things start the process (no need for scientific jargon here) must occur in other places and some of them must have the right gas in the atmosphere and the right temperature to sustain life from the primordial soup. Billions of galaxies with billions of stars with untold number of planets means there could very well be some that developed long before MAN.

It's okay to say "I don't know." Have aliens visited earth and left evidence of their being here, or is it all just runaway imaginations? I don't know. I know the Loch Ness Monster was a hoax, but I do believe there are evolved lifeforms right here on earth that have hidden from us in the depths of the ocean and possibly in the forests of California (Talk to Flipper) and on islands in the Pacific. If I can believe that such things evade modern technology up to now, imagine how easy it is for advanced life to continue to evade detection. But lifeforms being what they are, once in a while, they screw up and are detected in some ways.

• tryingtoexit
    tryingtoexit

Preciate that break down, I'd like to learn more about those creatures that have hidden for so long, you mean something like Bigfoot??

• trebor
    trebor

I have attended congregations in the Bronx, and both lower and middle Westchester counties in New York.

Men can not have sideburns passed the ear lobe. - ENFORCED STRONGLY.

Women can NOT have their legs exposed in the summer time, must wear stockings - ENFORCED.

Men can NOT have beards or goatee's, not even lightly/nicely trimmed ones - ENFORCED STRONGLY.

Must have suit jacket buttoned if on stage - ENFORCED LIGHTLY.

This is inclusive of my experiences from the 1980's thru 2008 (When I DA).

-Trebor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit