What THEY think

by sweet pea 19 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I've had that happen to....piss on them!

Tell her She's broken your heart by treating you the way she is, but that you are happy and hope one day she finally will be to!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Cant understand why they would then say such a thing?

Angel Eyes they say that because that is what 99% of Jehovah's Witnesses believe. Here's an example of how this works. My friend will not speak to his daughter. He says she has broken his heart by leaving Jehovah. She was DF'd because she wanted out of an extremely unhappy marriage to someone she should have never married. Her husband is a great guy and she is a lovely charming woman, but they were never meant to be. She had an affair and divorced him and was DF'd. Her dad tells me she has taken a stand against Jehovah, it is her choice that we don't have anything to do with her. He can't see that his abandonment of her is completely irrational and most unkind. She needs him now more than ever.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    He can't see that his abandonment of her is completely irrational and most unkind. She needs him now more than ever.

Kicking people when they're down is one of the things JWs do best.

W

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

@Nelly - it appears to be a genuine mistake - when you first join Facebook it asks you if you want it to request everyone in your email address book to be friends - she obviously forgot I was still there. She's not that mean.

Thanks everyone for your responses - there is a lot there that I will incorporate into my reply.

• donuthole
    donuthole

In order to reconcile their shunning a typical JW will believe that it is you who has broken off the relationship where in reality it is they who are refusing it. This is reinforced from the platform and in the literature.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

To the OP:

Not too many years ago, I felt the same way your friend does. I recall using similar words when speaking to a disfellowshipped friend--I asked him why he was choosing XYZ over being my friend.

In hindsight, I have a hard time believing I actually felt that way. But I really did. From my perspective, I had no choice but to shun my DF'd friend. It was all his fault.

But eventually I realized that I couldn't continue to take the cowardly approach and simply say "I have no choice." I did have a choice and I had to own up to my own actions.

Perhaps your friend will come to a similar realization one day.

• nelly136
    nelly136

r ok, wild horses wouldnt get me to give facebook my email accounts passwords to do that so its not something i've ever used, so i stand corrected

and sorry for being cynical.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thank you for sharing this with us.

For those reading this story, who are thinking of disassociating yourself, please know that your JW family and friends will view your actions as a REJECTION of them and a rejection of their religion.

They are unable to see it any other way. They do not respect your actions, even if these are based upon your conscience.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

It's strange but I feel more peaceful now I've heard from her.

I think we build up a picture of these past friends as people that are angry, callous, cold-hearted, vindictive and mean towards us when in reality they are truly broken hearted and see no other option but to cut us out of their lives.

That's what's so painfully frustrating about the whole thing - they do not realise the possibility of keeping the relationship going and the beautiful freedom available that comes from leaving the cult once you your eyes are opened.

A reminder perhaps not to feel angry or bitter at individuals but to feel sorry for them. Keep our anger directed at the organisation.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Why don't you send her a copy of the recent Awake article that says everyone should have the right to choose their beliefs without fear of losing friends and family?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit