"My Book of Bible Stories" returned for being "too violent for kids." You Agree?

by Witness 007 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I never really thought about it since I joined the cult as an adult, but the video above really drives it home. I don't think my parents would have let me read something like that when I was a kid.

W

• sd-7
    sd-7

Hmm. Never thought about this. I mean, I remember the particularly brutal Cain and Abel picture, and the Flood picture. The most I can remember going through my mind was that "people died". I think I figured out that God kills people, that man kills people, and...well, there were lots of unspoken rules that developed for me as a JW child. Don't ask for anything, don't ask anything unless you want a beating--especially don't ask for food during field service. I assumed it was a guaranteed beating. But that's another story. I can see how people might think it was too violent. I guess I was probably exposed to violence enough on TV at that age that I didn't give but so much thought to it. Go figure.

SD-7

• steve2
    steve2

You guys have to be Americans! You are soooo PC! Where have you been over the years? "My Book Of Bible Stories" too violent?? Come on. Have you never heard of Grimm Brothers fairy stories from centuries ago? Or Maurice Sendak's dark monsters in the woods? Or sitting around camp fires in the dark of the night and being scared to death by hearing people exchange "ghost" stories or stories about macabre incidents in the nearby woods? The worst effect on a child reading these stories is precious parental over-reaction to the "violence".

• nelly136
    nelly136

ummm ghost stories and films were classed as inviting demons in. scaring the beejeebus out of us as kids with demons was fine tho.

• 2pink
    2pink

i grew up a JW and the BSB was one of the only kid's books i remember having. i guess i thought it was normal, esp since they talked about that kind of stuff all the time at the meetings anyway. the one picture that did bother me a lot and still does is the flood scene.

i have 2 young daughters (ages 3 & 4) and even when i was a practicing JW, i did not let them look at that book. i actually don't even think we own one. it's disgusting if you ask me.

• LucyA
    LucyA

Does anyone remember the story in that book where the women is sitting on her window sill and gets thrown to the dogs for some that was pretty much the only story that freaked me out.

• nelly136
    nelly136

jezzzzzebelllllll

• JWoods
    JWoods

I don't know if many will recall it, but way back when there was a JW Blood episode on the old B & W TV drama Dr. Kildare.

Dennis Weaver played a JW father whose kid was dying from lack of a blood transfusion.

One thing I remember was that the other JW kids were in the waiting room reading a kiddie book like Jack and the Beanstalk or such.

All the JWs (I was about 12 at the time) were all up in arms because they were shown reading a "worldly book"!!! EGADS!!!

At the time, kids were supposed to read some orange JW book - I think called Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Probably the most graphic illustration is the guy with a tent peg driven into his head. In the original US book this was B&W which tones it down a bit but in other editions is in bright technicolour red.

• LucyA
    LucyA

Your right thabks nelly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit