"My Book of Bible Stories" returned for being "too violent for kids." You Agree?

by Witness 007 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully

They should also get rid of Learn From The Great Teacher for its horrific depiction, in chapter 10, of sexual activity outside of marriage as "making Satan and the demons happy."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"Sex outside marriage makes Satan and the demons happy."

If a religion is this sex negative, and they are graphically describing it for children, that is going to f*** them up--first, you dirtify it, then you expose them to descriptions of what you just dirtified. And the more you dirtify it, the worse it is going to be for those children that are exposed to it. If it makes Satan (who attempted to liberate mankind from God's tyranny) and the demons (who only wanted to experience firsthand true freedom) happy, so be it.

As for the violence, the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger rants about not seeing violent movies--even for adults. They are told in no uncertain terms that God hates violent entertainment. Remember, this is fiction--you do not believe anything on that screen. You might get into it while it is playing, but you put it out of mind after leaving the movie. Yet these books are supposed to depict reality. Children are threatened that, unless they behave and do what the Washtowel wants them to, they are going to end up like those pictures. I bet that, if those books were a worldly movie, it would be rated R for graphic violence.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yes, I feel this JW book is inappropriate for children. I think the Bible is too violent and very inappropriate for children as well.

I have a copy of "My Book of Bible Stories" (the one with the yellow hardcover and red printing). I was older (about 15) when it came out and what I remember about it is that I had a hard time relating to the drawings. Most of them are of people in ancient times. I've always had a hard time relating to things like this, including the Bible. The book that we studied when I was a child was the orange "From Paradise Lost To Paradise Regained" book. I used to have nightmares about snakes under my wallpaper, and falling down huge cracks in the earth. Maybe the JW publications had something to do with it.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Loved Candle's video. What's really crazy is how I never thought about this before. I grew up with it, so you know, I guess I thought it was normal. Now it's so easy to see the brainwashing and fear of a vengeful God it instills in children.

• Emma
    Emma

I had a neighbor give the copy back that we'd given to her daughter. My daughter was same age and they played together. I have to say that I saw her point, even at the time! I didn't realize at the time that I was on my way out.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Agreed!

I have a Beginners Bible that I read with my daughter. No gore, no adult themes, great pictures and content all round.

You can see a few pages here

All the best,

Stephen

• keeshondgirl
    keeshondgirl

When I used to read that book to my neice when she was 6 she used to be sad about the picture of the babies dying in the flood story. I didn't know how to really answer her why babies died too because she said the adults didn't listen not the babies.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Yeah, I too questionned my father about the flood drawing when I was about 6 or 7. I asked him why the babies were killed and he said it was because their parents didn't listen. So I asked him why Jehovah didn't save the babies and let Noah and his family raise them. He said that until 13 children were "under their parents authority". I opened my mouth to question him again and he told me that Jehovah knows best.

I rarely asked him other questions from then on because I knew what answer I'd get. Until I was 13 I was terrified that if my parents suddenly fell away from the "Truth", like the parents of a few of my friends had done, then I'd be killed at Armageddon.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Good for that lady.

I bought a Christian bible story book for my niece and my JW mother-in-law threw a fit over it. I asked her if she would my niece watch murders on TV. She said no. Then I said "Why would you let her see pictures of murders in the My Book of Bible Stories?" The Christian book I bought my niece was kid friendly and had nothing graphic in it. She got mad and changed the subject.

That book was just awful. No wonder JW children have so many nightmares and anxiety issues.

• nelly136
    nelly136

if you want to give your kids graphic pictures on muggings, shooting up, death and violence then borg literature is definately the way to go.

the paradise book and other childrens books that have been since are nothing compared to some of the pictures that i saw in the watchtowers each week.

i wonder if any dubs actually count how many nasty pics they are subjecting their children to or see in the course of a watchtower study.

i wonder if they ever count the negative hate death destruction destroyed satan words used in circles time and time again during a rinse repeat cycle. its little wonder they're so destruction obsessed and dont even realise it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit