So I did it - almost!

by wantstoleave 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Awsnap....about the xmas tree thing.... when my sister said what she said, it made me feel a little guilty actually, because days before, I'd stopped to look at xmas trees at the store. Something I'd never ever done before. So when she said she'd wondered if I'd hidden one somewhere, and she had NO Idea I'd been looking at one...it made me feel rather guilty. So me thinking it was funny she mentioned it, I had to chuckle (on the inside) because unbeknown to her, I'd been contemplating getting one. The 'lol' was more of a sheepish chuckle for myself :) When I wrote the post, I almost added to the 'no I dont have one' a 'yet'...hehe. Jury is still out on that one, whether I get one or not. Will have to wait and see what the next 2mths bring regards dealings with my family. But no, I dont think xmas is ridiculous. I understand how most of society has moved away from the 'traditional' meaning of its celebration. Thanks for your kind words :)

I appreciate everyone's kind words and encouragement as I venture into this completely unknown realm! I have a mixture of feelings: apprehension, excitement, fear...

The biggest thing for me now is whether I start celebrating things with my preschoolers. One has a birthday coming up ~gulp~ obviously something I've never had to worry about before. The there is xmas. If I celebrate these, then I am truly turning my back on the organisation, and perhaps even Jehovah. That to me will be the final straw, the nail in the coffin so to speak. I can't start doing these things, then a year down the track decide that 'hey kids, no more birthdays, mummy is going back to be a Jw'. That wouldn't be fair on them. So whatever decision I make, I have to think about it really carefully.

I have a tendency to jump from the frying pan into the fire, impulse decisions. Interestingly, mum rang me tonight and asked how I was after todays talk with her and dad, if I was feeling better about things. I think they believe they have shaken me enough to knock some sense into me so to speak. I simply answered 'Im fine'. I dont want to give them false hope either. But I do have to say, Im feeling better than I did decision wise, because I feel its out in the open a little. And the more I move away from the religion, they wont be as shocked because they already know how Im doubting. It wont be any less heartbreaking for them, but they know to expect it.

• greenie
    greenie

I can't imagine not celebrating my baby's birth. As long as you do it with the right intention, I think. I'm in part celebrating the passage of another wonderful year that God has given to our baby and us. You don't have to do anything extravagant, either, but I think it's great to have a special day for your kids.

May I ask what the history with the father is? Is he still in the picture? A JW? I ask because I'm in a mixed relationship (me never a JW, him born in and still in)

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Ahhhh, got it. Glad you explained. Ok, then disregard what I said about Xmas trees ;-)

But everything else, I still mean. ;-D

• cantleave
    cantleave

((((((Wantstoleave))))))) Well Done. You know you are doing the rightthing. Don't let your Dad study with your kids, keep them away from the WT poison.

• nelly136
    nelly136

Dad was pacing and telling me I was responsible for my children living or dying.....

be warned, this is where the emotional blackmail starts with a vengeance, and one of the easiest hits is to use your children to make you doubt yourself and your choices.

good luck

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi WTL,

Sounds cool :)

The there is xmas. If I celebrate these, then I am truly turning my back on the organisation, and perhaps even Jehovah.

God sent wise men, shepherds and others to celebrate the delivery of His Son so why shouldn't you celebrate it too?

Romans 14:5-8 (New International Version)

5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

Yes, "Jesus is Lord" so celebrate His arrival on earth any day you like :) Romans 10:9 1 Corinthians 12:3 All the best, Stephen

• greenie
    greenie

Chalam, I looked up the 1 Corinthians verse you cite. What does it mean?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

(((((WTL)))))

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi greenie,

This one right?

1 Corinthians 12:3 (New International Version)

3 Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

OK, the Holy Spirit speaks through believers. He dwells in their spirit. As He is the Spirit of Jesus, the believer does not speak against Jesus but proclaims Him as Lord.

JWs are not born again and do not have the Holy Spirit within them. Thus, you do not hear them proclaim Jesus as Lord.

Check these verses out too

1 John 4:1-3 (New International Version)

Test the Spirits
    1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. The WT fails the test at verse 2. They teach Jesus has not returned from the tomb in His physical body but as a "spirit creature". This is totally false Luke 24:39 Also, they fail the test at verse three. They do not acknowledge Jesus, but "jehovah". I am sure they would argue differently but look in their NWT bible. For example, Kurios which means "Lord" has been changed to Jehovah numerous times in their New Testament. "Jesus is Lord" so clearly they do not acknowledge Jesus and are not speaking by His Spirit. Also, this verse on the Holy Spirit

John 15:26 (New International Version)

26 "When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.

Check out some commentaries here if you need some more info on 1 Cor 12:3 http://biblecommenter.com/1_corinthians/12-3.htm

All the best,

Stephen

• willyloman
    willyloman

"My dad did ask me during the conversation whether I'd let him study with my children. They are preschool age. I said I didn't know. I don't know at this point."

Well, that would be one way to put you and your children on the Road to Hell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit