*Everyone Please Enter, I'm New Here*

by tryingtoexit 66 Replies latest jw friends

• tryingtoexit
    tryingtoexit

What's up to everybody? I've been lurking in the shadows of this forum for about 6 months or so. I'll try to be brief here, but I apologize in advance if this is not "brief enough" for you. Anyways I'm a 27 year old african american young man, I was born and raised a Jehovah's Witness. My grandparents on both sides became witnesses in the 40's, so my parents were also, and so am I...my dad became an elder in 1983 (when I was a year old), he was a P.O. (when it was called that), he still serves as an elder, and my mother pioneered for 10 years when I was 6 to 16 years old. About 75% of my family on both sides are witnesses so with this type of background, I never really questioned the religion that was handed down to me. Not until last year, long story short, I'm from Michigan, butmy girlfriend moved down south, so I followed, we got married in 2006 and everything was cool. But, even then I started to feel empty inside, I didnt feel the love from the congregation down here, but neither did I feel it back at home. I always ignored the imperfections of man, and just tried to "keep on pushing". I could tell numerous stories of b/s I didnt like or agree with from experiences of dealing with JW's but I'll save that for a later date, maybe. Anyhow I started researching alot of our teachings and the more I found out "the truth" wasnt the truth at all I became hungry for more knowledge. This was last year. I stopped for awhile, because I read some JW publications that made me think "I really am in the right religion after all". I even went to Bethel in June of this year in Brooklynn, Wallkill, & Patterson. After that "interesting" trip, I just felt I had to study again. So for the past 4 months I've made the decision to leave the organization. But I've come to a crossroads.

On one hand....I think of how beautiful it would be to finally be free for the first time in life, free from the gossip, free from the judgemental witnesses, free from trying to get "the national average" in hours, free to find my own path in life as a man. But then I look at my parents......I'm an only child and my parents are very close to me, despite the fact that we live 300 miles apart from each other, we are still very close. How can I not be a witness, this would break their hearts, especially seeing many of the people I grew up with "fall out of the truth", and the fact that I put my parents through hell as a teenager, always getting into some trouble with someone of the opposite sex. I dont want to make them suffer on my account any more. Disfellowshipping does not scare me, but I love my parents, and I love my wife, I could careless about all my other family and friends (knwo that sounds harsh) but those 3 are the closest people to me. My wife will for sure leave me, she's constantly pressuring me. "Sincere how come you don't go out in service often?! How come you're not a ministerial servant, how come you dont comment? How come you miss the meetings so much, why do you sit in the back? Why do you leave soon as the meetings over, are you reaching out?? Do you think you're a good spiritual head? How come you never want to hang out with other Witnesses??? ......and the list goes on...

So I'm stuck...point is I've found out so many faults with this cult, I'm convinced this is a cult, thanks to what I've read here, The Crisis Of Conscience book, and Combatting Cult Mind Control book, and countless other hours of library time and chillin on google.

I have a few reasons why I want to stay; they are:

Moses soley spoke for the Israelites, and when Aaron and Miriam questioned that authority Jehovah was upppset, am I wrong for thinking the Governing Body doesnt represent God for me???

Satan the Devil LEFT heaven, humans are known for expressions such as "Heaven must be like this" Well Satan he was already LIVING there and he left, not only did he leave, but he took others with them, even convinced angels who have no gender to wanna have sex with women, lol, so I'm like mannn maybe I'm no different than Satan for wanting to leave where I should already be....if that makes sense

Jehovah has always had a certain group of people whether large or small that were his people, could it be that Jehovah's Witnesses are those chosen people??

Jehovah's Witnesses follow the 1st century congregations when the apostles were alive, great right?

What if Armageddon comes, and the Witnesses were right, boy would I be an idiot right??

Add that to the reasons I already mentioned and you see why I kind of want to stay, but here's what's making me wanna get out fast

1914- I've researched this thoroughly pure crap if you ask me

All the false prophecies in the past, 1914, 1925, 1975, etc.

Raymond Franz leaving the Governing Body (but then again see my Satan example for staying)

607 BCE- FALSE

They say "EXERCISING faith in Christ's ransom" is doing alot for the WTS, that pisses me off, so bad that I get up 4 or 5 times a meeting to get some air, cause I feel like I'm gonna puke

"Faith without works is dead like the sea" so step your selling of Watchtowers game up

Charles Taze Russell was just crazy in all angles if you ask me, nobody wants to examine the evidence I present to my family, they just say read the Proclaimers book and sit down somewhere

Rutherford nother strange guy I dont like

The origins of the WTS are clearly "ridiculous" yet Witnesses are always examining the "origin" of something, birthdays, holidays, everything and finding a way to say we shouldnt do it

Lack of scriptural support for many organization policies, 'specially elders stuff

never allowed to do independent research

Everybody against the witnesses is apostates, so people that were witnesses, got molested, spoke about it, because nothing was done about it, are now apostates...riiiiiight, am I'm Michael Jordan

I'll stop there, but as you guys can see, I'm very conflicted here, I've been apart of this cult for 27 years!! It's all I know, from sitting outside of birthday parties as a kid to dont slow dance with that girl at a witness gathering, to you need to reach out as a married man, I'm up to my head in confusion with my feelings, but my thoughts are clear, I want out, I wanna fade out of this destructive cult, but I dont know where to start. I love my wife, I love my parents, but maybe....just maybe....as bad as its going to hurt, I'm going to have to start over in life without them.

*all comments are welcome*

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome!

First of all, congratulations! You have been able to think with your own mind and do your own research when you have been told all of your life that was forbidden. You have already beat the odds stacked against you!

You say that being a JW is all you know. But you know something else... and that is... something about the Watchtower Society isn't right. You felt it, you thought it, you believed in yourself enough to research it. Many of us here were born in, and we left what we knew, too. It isn't easy in the beginning, but it's worth it.

• tryingtoexit
    tryingtoexit

I also left out the sillyness of 144,000 being literal, when everything else is symbolic, the tribe, the virgins, everything is symbolic, but not that number of 144,000.

Also the denial of Christ rising as a spirit creature instead of a man, only to materialize when he thought convenient...

Just some other thoughts I have that make me wanna hurry up and get out :(

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi and welcome t2e!

Wow, I feel for you mate, really do. Though I hope you realise what you are going through is not unique. Like me, you will find a lot of support and common experiences on this board. Personally, my marriage is much better since I stopped going, wifey still goes though isn’t active. I hope things work out well for you, though the mental anguish does get better after you fade out.

Cheers, Mattieu.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Welcome to the board!

• tryingtoexit
    tryingtoexit

Thanks to all that replied, yeah it does feel good to know there's other people out there with situations/circumstances similar to mine that you can talk too. This is no doubt rough, but I'm determined to figure it all out and plan my escape, I hope a year from now I can be feeling as good mentally as some of you all do.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Welcome Trying!

Your story is mine ... just one year ago...

I was for 10 years zealous JW, than saw too many things are wrong, but still felt "JW follow 1st century Christians..., What if they are right... " ... This took 7 years to me, to see its all just a fairy tale...

Now I see absolutely clear JW are ridiculous man controled and man ruled religion/cult, and they are NOT NOT NOT directed by God at all. They do some things very well, but in many other issues they clearely violate the Bible. This makes them just "one of many" religion and not "the only true" religion.

But you have to make the choice for yourself. Do you want to live in a lie, just to please others (wife, parents...)? Or you want to follow your conscience and live like a free person? Did you try to explain your wife you love her and ant to stay with her forever, but you do not believe WTBS?

Keep searching for informations and .... live your life!

Albert

• hotspur
    hotspur

Welcome!

It is never easy... but you're getting there. Just stick with your original thought ~ "never allowed to do independent research" and whenever you start to doubt again - come back to it. If it truly is 'The Truth' it should stand any scrutiny.

It may cost you dearly in your relationships but living a lie is a destruction in itself - it took me years to realise what was happening - even denying the (now obvious) depression I suffered for about 20 years.

Am I happier now? Too right, but I still suffer the pain my mother causes me through their 'christian shunning' program.

Stick with what you know is right. Be true to yourself - that is all you can do.

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

As you can see by this forum, your situation is all too common. The problem is that the JW "community" does not "allow" for disengaging. That is why you get the judgmental questions like “why do you sit in the back?” etc.

For me, I did not want to give up the “community” that I had known and had a deep history with. I did not want to alienate my family either. But again, JW are not allowed to disengage from religious activity and still enjoy the company of the only community you have ever known. Frankly, it’s not fair, and it angers me that it’s intended to be that way.

Some are “liberated” by explosively expressing their doubts and opinions. I believe they should be allowed the freedom to do this. But with our community this only results in being ostracized and socially alienated from friends and family. I don’t like being forced into making that choice.

My suggestion is to attend some different local congregations, see what kind of reception you get and settle on one that you and your family like the best. I go by myself so I don’t have the family issues you might still face. But I don’t go in FS and only on Sunday. I don’t get hounded and still maintain a good “community” standing. I keep controversial beliefs and ideas to myself.

I don’t have the pressure to perform. I am liberated from all responsibilities. I am able to enjoy a “normal” relationship with friends and family. It’s not ideal but it works for me. I hope you can find that situation.

• etna
    etna

Hi tryingtoexit,

You sound just like me too. I can see alot of things wrong. But what is the truth? I feel brokenhearted when I found out alot of crap that is being fed to us. But I have all those questions, who is right? What's going to happen to the earth? What's going to happen to humans? Alot more questions. I know its not right to stop people doing research and to keep learning and the jw's have alot to answer for (child molesting, malawi, blood issues, U N etc etc). It helps being on this forum and hearing what everyone has to say. If you pr anyone else has some answers, I want to hear.

Thanks Etna

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit