making my will should I include my child that has shuan me for years

by jam 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

I know how tempting it is to do eye for an eye but I personally believe that if you really want to leave these items for your grandchildren and include your daughter in your will then you should do so. Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek and to love those who hate us. Just make sure you're doing this out of love and not doing it as an attempt to buy their love. Your actions may not have any consequences in melting their hearts.

Unfortunately, the Watchtower teaches that JW's are suppose to hate with Godly hatred those who have become disfellowshipped and to treat them as spiritual enemies and to shun them. The hapless witness isn't aware of how unloving and unbiblical their actions are, they're just simply following the Watchtower so we should always forgive them for 'they know not what they do.' (Luke 23:34)

• Farkel
    Farkel

If you have enough to spare, why not consider putting it in trust for your grandchildren, say for a college education and nothing else. Your grandchildren did you no wrong, unless they were duped by their parents, and even then, they probably don't understand the real situation.

Farkel

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

You might want to look up some stuff on the legalities. I think you must leave them at least a dollar or they can contest the will.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If you're love is unconditional and you don't care how its received and it makes you happy to leave it to the JW, do it. If not, give it to someone else. Simple. W.Once

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    You might want to look up some stuff on the legalities. I think you must leave them at least a dollar or they can contest the will.

I agree, this can probably vary depending on your province or state. The last time I spoke to a lawyer about this he said the only person you cannot legally exclude in Ontario is your spouse, who must have at least 50%. You don't have to leave anything to your kids.

W

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cameo-d said, "I think you must leave them at least a dollar or they can contest the will."

That is NOT correct at least not on the planet I live on.

There is no law that requires you to leave anything to anyone. What the law DOES say is that if you die intestate (without a will) the law will decide who gets your estate, and they will generally give it to you closest relative.

It does puzzle me that you would insult your loving relatives by giving them NOTHING while you rewqard the bad behavior of the daughter who hates you by giving her everything. It's no surprise she's confused.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I agree with Gary

forgive them for 'they know not what they do'

All the best,

Stephen

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have to go with the "unconditional" love. I understand that a relative, a loved one, is a captive of the JW's. I would try to treat them with unconditional love. In other words, I would leave them their share. If you have a problem with it benefiting the JW's, then talk to a lawyer about how to put it in a trust and issued out slowly to her, but never left as a sum by her for the WTS. You could probably even stipulate what the money could be used for or what it could not be used for.

But, as a father, I would just leave her the money and show her that I was not the evil apostate she shunned all her life. It's tough love, she will be upset about what she did or that you left her money.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If you have family mementos that you wish to share, I think you should. It doesn't seem like you are thinking so much of money, but of the really important things. Share those and a letter with that part of your family-leave them whatever your heart wants to, but please don't try to win back her love after death when you have children who love you and show it now. She isn't going to have remorse for the way she treated you simply because she is getting 'her fair share'. But you are a mom, and you love her. Your heart will guide you. Do mention her in the will so that there is no 'concern' that you just forgot to mention her:)

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Don't exclude the grandkids. It's not their fault that their parents shun you. I like Farkel's idea of a college trust.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit